Author Topic: Please help! Computer infected! This one's a doozy.  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Please help! Computer infected! This one's a doozy.
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:33 PM »
Those "You may have a virus" adware attacks are very very hard to get rid of.  You're best off to just reimage and start over.  Whatever data you had is lost.

They aren't very hard to get rid of actually.  The key to removing the virus easily is to have a reg key that stops the virus from preventing you from running programs or your browser.  Once you run that reg key you'll be able to run anti-virus programs to remove the virus. 

My fiance got hit by it last week, it only took the time to plug in the USB stick that I have the reg key on and install it and after that it was just the amount of time it took ESET to run and clear her machine.  Probably total time was under 30 minutes.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »
They aren't very hard to get rid of actually.  The key to removing the virus easily is to have a reg key that stops the virus from preventing you from running programs or your browser.  Once you run that reg key you'll be able to run anti-virus programs to remove the virus. 

My fiance got hit by it last week, it only took the time to plug in the USB stick that I have the reg key on and install it and after that it was just the amount of time it took ESET to run and clear her machine.  Probably total time was under 30 minutes.

ack-ack

Yep and the rootkit maker is now enjoying your fiances lingerie shows through her webcam  :neener:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 09:47:55 AM »
where would one find this "reg key"?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 01:08:34 PM »
where would one find this "reg key"?
Yes where
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
Yes where

In reality it's not that simple :)

Ack-Ack may have run into some very basic version of malware which could be removed so easily. The more advanced attacks will write randomly named copies of itself and reg entries to start with. They will inject existing and 'legal' dll and .exe files with their attack code. They will inject and alter critical system files (rootkitting the system). They will write a payload to MBR or boot sector, infecting the machine again on the next bootup even if cleaned. They will flash your bios with malware. They will win, if you're foolish enough to think you're outsmarting the criminal genius :)

Only way to handle an infection or even suspected infection is to do a total reinstall, including erasing master boot records which a regular format won't do - and always keep the bios locked.

I have seen infections dance past up to date mainstream antiviruses so many times that I have zero confidence in them anymore.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2012, 03:54:20 PM »
Only way to handle an infection or even suspected infection is to do a total reinstall, including erasing master boot records which a regular format won't do - and always keep the bios locked.

Sadly, this ^ is the one and only absolutely certain way to defeat a virus. 

You *might* be able to get it with anti-virus software, but that is not 100% certain.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
Tonight my computer got hit with a small virus that quickly took down MSE and was one of those "your computer may be infected gimme gimme gimme" virus's. I got it taken care of and was happy, and Then it happened. After booting it up to just browse the web, a short while after booting, I got a message saying "Error Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute" and then after a minute it shutoff and started back up again. trying to figure out what it is, I booted in safe mode where it STILL HAPPENED. I'm able to be on long enough to find out that there is a new Trojan that is now here called sirefef.y

what should I do if I can do anything? also, since I had already ordered a new HDD could I possibly put windows on that and then just transfer files to it (since was going to be storage and is larger than my other two drives combined) and then wipe the main one?
I had The same prob with my last comp my family fixed it but it was so ****ing annoying
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named