Author Topic: Basic Tanking 101  (Read 3364 times)

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
Re: Basic Tanking 101
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:53 AM »
Cjpedrido, very nice write up.

It is important new players avoid frustrating situations like a camped spawn (spawns totally surrounded by enemy tanks) unless there is a coordinated effort to break up the camp. It is better to stay out of the situations like that in the beginning.  You will die allot as you learn tanking in AH and try not to let it bother you. Situational awareness takes time to develop.

Keep chatter to a minimum if you want to learn. The friendly tankers will warn you of approaching enemy tanks.

Get one of the custom sound packs. There are links and instructions for installation in the custom sounds forum. The sounds will allow you to identify what model tank is headed your way. You really want to know if a Tiger is getting close. If he is headed for the left side of your berm (those small hills tanks hide behind), you may be able to go right and get a shot into his rear flank. That can be lethal for a Tiger.

Good luck
 :salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »
I have the Mitsu sound pack installed. How do I learn which sound is which tank? The tanks offline don't move. Do you have to get a buddy to go into the TA and up the different tanks? I think that is the only way I can figure that one out. I got killed by a Tiger II yesterday but he never moved when I was around to know what it sounded like. He got 6 of us before one of us brought up another Tiger than he towered out. Very brave I thought. But that is a great suggestion to learn the different sounds. I also learned to turn way down the sound of my own tracks. It doesn't do that much for me and just makes it harded to hear anything else including your fellow players on the radio.

One more tip that I learned on my second kill. It actually is possible to get a kill while you are moving. Hard, not likely but, hey, if you are getting shot at, it's worth a try! I tried it just as a last resort and it worked!

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
PM me the next time you want to work on your training and I can help you some more!
Glad to hear your getting some kills!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Actually I have discovered that I can't turn down the sound of my own tracks. I don't know if this is an error with the Mitsu sound pack or if it is my cheap headphones at fault. (I had expensive Turtlebeach headphones with volume control but they broke. Thats the subject of another string over under Hardware/Software.) I have the track sounds set down to 10% but it makes no difference. If I go below that, even 9%, the sound goes to 0.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Another tank question: Yesterday I was in a tank battle where in the beginning we were protecting our town that the Rooks had been knocking down buildings. A T34 came rolling down the road and ducked into the town after I got one shot at him. I followed him in and was coached by a Storch as to where he was. Storch put down orange smoke right on him. I rolled up behind him and could see his outline through the smoke from the commanders view (1). When I switched to the gunners view (2), I could not see him at all. The view was showing what looked like a grey blob of indistinct shape in the middle of the smoke. The blob looked more like a tree or something than a tank. In hindsight, I should have shot right into that blob anyway. I didn't so I started up again and rolled forward to try to get a better position. Then I could not depress the barrel enough. He started shooting at me and, on my second try to move forward into shooting position, he got me. So my question is: can you shoot from the commanders position/view? I assume with a little practice, you can. I was driving my usual Panzer H btw.

Thanks again!
Tex

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:49 PM »
Yes.   You can fire the main gun from the commanders position , my rule if thumb is if your screen is full, as in all you can see is the enemy tank,, you should shoot!!!   Same foes for airplanes, if he fills the windscreen , your close enough to saw his wings off!!!
Flying since tour 71.