Author Topic: Useless Facts  (Read 637 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Useless Facts
« on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Useless Facts

I found some of these to be pretty interesting.  Got any that aren't on the list?

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: Useless Facts
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 10:50:16 PM »
I can eat 50 eggs in a hour.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
here goes my free time.  :lol

------------

"The term "the whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.  When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage.  If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards.""
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:26:41 AM by MarineUS »
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:44:08 AM »
Cool info to know where phrases, terms originate.
I wouldn't call them useless.
But then again some people get mad when they start a discussion,
providing their "facts"( old wives tales), then you burst their bubbles with the real facts.
Used to happen with my ex all the time :rofl :rofl
Never test the ire of a German Fraulein/Frau :aok :rofl

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 07:12:05 AM »
Whoot Maine and our one syllable!
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:30:38 PM »
Stephen Fry would love this...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:48:24 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 11:08:16 AM »
"The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb."

:old:
This one is false.  Some years ago there was a huge push from the guardians of political correctness to banish this phrase from the English language.  Wordsmiths did some digging, and found that the phrase originated with carpenters who used their fingers, or thumbs, for crude measurements.  The phrase can be found in use well before the legal ruling stated above.    
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
I just burned a half hour at lunch, thanks! :D
JG 52

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 01:00:24 PM »
"The phrase "rule of thumb" is derived from an old English law which stated that you couldn't beat your wife with anything wider than your thumb."

:old:
This one is false.  Some years ago there was a huge push from the guardians of political correctness to banish this phrase from the English language.  Wordsmiths did some digging, and found that the phrase originated with carpenters who used their fingers, or thumbs, for crude measurements.  The phrase can be found in use well before the legal ruling stated above.    

Perhaps the carpenters' did both.  Used 'rule of thumb' at work and then came home an beat the wife with the same rule.  (Providing she needed it of course)  :D

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Hoffman

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:48 PM »
•According to Einstein's Special Theory of Relativity, it is possible to go slower than light and faster than light, but it is impossible to go the speed of light.  Also, there is a particle called tackyon which is supposed to go faster than light.  This means if you fire a tackyon beam, it travels before you fire it

Uhm...  just because it goes faster than I can observe it with light, doesn't mean it can travel before I can push the button.  Other than that, funny list.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »
Kilo02/Boris/Sukov is the ultimate Aces High board authority. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 04:48:32 PM »

Uhm...  just because it goes faster than I can observe it with light, doesn't mean it can travel before I can push the button.  Other than that, funny list.

Its called a theory for  a reason  :)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 05:55:58 PM »
the thing about the horse is how people died is false too.

http://www.snopes.com/military/statue.asp

I normally read snopes when i am bored.  it's a pretty good way to waste your day at work :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
The term "the whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.  When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage.  If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards."
I was not aware of that.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
It's just one of many theories as to how the "whole nine yards" phrase was invented. No one really knows for sure, but it was first seen in publications in the 1960s.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."