Author Topic: Buff tactics and Questions  (Read 785 times)

Offline theblitz

• Zinc Member
Buff tactics and Questions
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
1. B17 vs B24? I've noticed the 24 can carry a bit more bombs but the 17 seems like it can take more punishment. I can't tell for sure though. The 24's turrets have better angles too but the 17 has devastating frontal power. Interestingly, one could maybe argue the 26 is best because it's faster (less damage per sortie but more sorties). It's guns aren't quite as good but still pretty tough, a much better jinker.

2. Is it true a Lanc could sneak through with 14k and end the war by hitting the HQ?

3. If you're on fire, is there anything you can do?

4. Does the b25c have any role ?

5. What does a good buff bombardier do on a run (or runs)? Like what speed, direction, how many bombs per target, how many runs

I'm an excellent gunner but otherwise total n00b

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Buff tactics and Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:45:19 PM »
Great questions, that over a couple years I've wondered yet never asked. I'll be interested to read the answers.

Sounds like you are buff magnet in the making. Someone headed for 91st or something. <S>

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline theblitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:47:51 PM »
I cannot fly fighters at all. Unless I'm intercepting bombers, then I'm okay (my knowledge of buff vs int fights goes both ways).

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:47:55 PM »
Some quick answers (in red):

1. B17 vs B24? I've noticed the 24 can carry a bit more bombs but the 17 seems like it can take more punishment. I can't tell for sure though. The 24's turrets have better angles too but the 17 has devastating frontal power. Interestingly, one could maybe argue the 26 is best because it's faster (less damage per sortie but more sorties). It's guns aren't quite as good but still pretty tough, a much better jinker.

.50 cal guns are .50 caliber guns. They aren't better in one plane than the other. The rounds from all three a/c in a formation converge at 500 yards, so keep that in mind.

2. Is it true a Lanc could sneak through with 14k and end the war by hitting the HQ?

Dropping the HQ only takes out radar for a country, it doesn't end the war. It takes over 35,000 lbs. of ord to destroy the single HQ building, so it's virtually impossible for a single formation of Lancasters to have all bombs hit that building.

No, sorry. You're going to explode and die soon. You can bail, though.

All planes can be fun to fly, if you have the right attitude. Try to hit your target and return safely. It's a good plane to build perks, perhaps?

5. What does a good buff bombardier do on a run (or runs)? Like what speed, direction, how many bombs per target, how many runs

Choose your target and check out the clipboard map layout of that target (right click on map to select) then plan your route accordingly. Full power during climb out. You can sit in front gun, then select F3 outside view and turn using rudder only during climb out on autopilot. You can check all around you using top hat views. I suggest reducing rpm a little as you approach your bomb run. Your plane will continue to accelerate for a very long time otherwise. A constant speed in important for bomb sight calibration accuracy.

There are charts in the link in my signature to find out the damage required to destroy all targets in the game.

The important thing to do is to have fun...  :D

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:36 AM »

One of the best things to do is get with a trainer, or tune in on a bomb group's channel to learn all the various aspects. I'm a piss-poor fighter pilot myself, but I dearly love bombers, especially B17's. You'll learn. Just be persistent and patient.  :)
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline theblitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 12:08:27 AM »
True but 4 50s is better than 2 and if the 17 actually is more durable, well, it's better against fighters unless the better turrets of the 24 out weigh this. The 26 also has no ball but 5 pilot 50s...devastating for head on.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 12:10:26 AM »

The 24 is much more prone to engine fires.  It's a tradeoff between speed (26), ruggedness (17) and ord load (24).

No.  It doesn't carry enough ord.

Bail out

Don't know.  Don't fly it.

Totally depends on the target.

I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 12:26:48 AM »
Historically, the 17 was stronger structurely and could probably take more punishment.  The low wing configuration however limited the size of the bomb bay, the 24 could carry more bombs and could fly further than the 17.  Pilot workload was higher in the 24 as well.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »

B24s catch fire far to easily, if you get hit on the wings then you are probably on fire, 26s have so many blind spots you simply have to know where to hit them to wreck a formation. 

yep, assuming the pilot knows what he is doing.

explode and up a new cartoon plane 15 seconds later

Did anyone lose a shade on aisle 4? Blue light special...

First I was a shade, I was petrified, I couldn't live without a shade by my side, I spent so many nights, thinking how you did me wrong!
JG 52

Offline JTs

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
be straight and level by the time you reach the dar circle. for fh, bh, or vh set salvo for 3 everything else set salvo for 1. calibrate hold y key down for a count of 15 to 20. hit u key and kill your target. if you fly knight look for cody in the morning or afternoon. in the evening find 999000.

Offline TheMercinary60

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:25 AM »
personally, ill take a 17 over a 24 any day, just on maneuverability alone, if you know how to handle it you can just about treat it like a fighter

besides that, the rear guns on a 24 have very poor visibility in the form of a bar that can block you from seeing someone coming in on you from a shallow dive
Formally Merc flying with the 99th Blue Lagoon Bandits
I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled.

HiTech - in response to davidwales

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 01:33:55 AM »
3 Lancs with 14x 1000bls bomb load can and do take out HQs. takes 2 passes with 7 bombs in each as all have to hit directly on the HQ. But it only takes down their radar for between 3 hours - 5 mins depending on how quickly they resupply it.

NOEd lancs to HQs many times just for fun, then waited nearby and try and shot down their C47s as they run to repair it

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 08:13:15 AM »
3 Lancs with 14x 1000bls bomb load can and do take out HQs. takes 2 passes with 7 bombs in each as all have to hit directly on the HQ. But it only takes down their radar for between 3 hours - 5 mins depending on how quickly they resupply it.

NOEd lancs to HQs many times just for fun, then waited nearby and try and shot down their C47s as they run to repair it

yep, done this one successfully. Takes practice and good timing, but is doable.

I'd quote it, but it's in red text in a quote of it's own. The HQ needs more than 35k lbs for destruction. It takes 37k lbs according to the HTC website (http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Flight-Sim-Information/aces-high-help-gameplay.html) or over 42k lbs if you ask in the MA.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Trukk

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 09:58:06 AM »
1. B17 vs B24? I've noticed the 24 can carry a bit more bombs but the 17 seems like it can take more punishment. I can't tell for sure though. The 24's turrets have better angles too but the 17 has devastating frontal power. Interestingly, one could maybe argue the 26 is best because it's faster (less damage per sortie but more sorties). It's guns aren't quite as good but still pretty tough, a much better jink
The B-17 is much more survivable than the B-24, the Liberator flames up very easily (too easily IMO).  So if you want to make it home, take B-17s over B-24s.  For tactical, one pass, bombing, the B-26 is probably most effective.  It doesn't have the wow factor that the big bombers do but it's fast and tough.

It doesn't "end the war", but you can take down radar.

Bail

4. Does the b25c have any role?
Not really, it's too bad HTC didn't model the most numerous version of the Mitchell the B-25J.  The 3D model is beautiful but in the MA the B-25C is a sitting duck.

5. What does a good buff bombardier do on a run (or runs)? Like what speed, direction, how many bombs per target, how many runs?
This really depends on how you play Aces High.  Is your focus on the game (ie winning the map) or the simulation (trying to fly and survive as a bomber pilot). For an example of the latter see: 17th visual AAR

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:46 AM »
theblitz, welcome to the insanity !  I hope to meet (find) you at high alt in your bombers very soon.  Look for the P47N.

Look up.

No farther......................

farther...................

a little more..................

there I am,  :airplane:

:salute

Wag more, bark less.