Author Topic: Buff tactics and Questions  (Read 787 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Re: Buff tactics and Questions
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »

Some quick answers (in red):

:noid Sorry Charlie, CONVERG POINT IN 17 IS 650 YARDS, ran a bunch of tests myself in training arena, have pictures of targets if u want to see them!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 03:33:59 PM »
#define _GUNNER_CONVERANCE maYARD(500)

Cut and paste from the code .

But the inflight convergence point relative to the plane can change based its speed and direction of shooting do to drag on the bullets.

HiTech

« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 03:36:24 PM by hitech »

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 03:38:59 PM »

But the inflight convergence point relative to the plane can change based its speed and direction of shooting do to drag on the bullets.

HiTech

Hot DAMN!

<S>
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 05:25:16 PM »
1. B17 vs B24? I've noticed the 24 can carry a bit more bombs but the 17 seems like it can take more punishment. I can't tell for sure though. The 24's turrets have better angles too but the 17 has devastating frontal power. Interestingly, one could maybe argue the 26 is best because it's faster (less damage per sortie but more sorties). It's guns aren't quite as good but still pretty tough, a much better jinker.

The 17 doesnt flame as much but the 24 is a bit faster. Also the 24 has the edge carrying 1,000 pounders.

2. Is it true a Lanc could sneak through with 14k and end the war by hitting the HQ?

3. If you're on fire, is there anything you can do?
4. Does the b25c have any role ?
Ever see the beginning of "Catch 22"? Of course it has a role and is a great mission bomber. Many of the higher eny bombers can also be the most effective, like the IJA KI-67, which is a great raider and fighter killer.

5. What does a good buff bombardier do on a run (or runs)? Like what speed, direction, how many bombs per target, how many runs
Its often advantageous to take an offset path to your target and not fly bombers with the conga line of other planes, most of all fighters. It aids you in getting at least one pass on the target before a fighter can intercept. Flying a zigzag rout also gives you more time to build altitude. Any bomber formation can kill any hangar with a salvo of 2 500lb bombs. Its safer to release 3 however, or even 4, and if you do so loose them right when the crosshairs cross the front of your target due to the time lapse of multiple bombs being released. Runs? As many as necessary. Try to setup the flight path of your runs with the targets you want to take out. Use the maps for this.

I'm an excellent gunner but otherwise total n00b
You can overcome the disadvantage of the bombers without the ball gunner by setting your speed climb to a much lower speed then your going and then hitting ALT/X when a fighter is climbing up your belly. The bomber climbs steeply getting your tail gunner a shot much sooner then he would and it gives the attacker less of a profile to shoot at. I have F3 view, Alt/X speed climb, and look down all mapped on my controllers bomber profile. In a B26, Betty, or KI-67 Im watching the attacker in f3/down/rear gunner and when he starts climbing under me I'll hit the Alt/X button usually already set for 1 40 climb speed. Just make sure you release Alt/X before you stall.

Enjoy. The game has great bombers. I started off flying bombers all the time and its a great way to begin with AH
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
1. B17 vs B24? I've noticed the 24 can carry a bit more bombs but the 17 seems like it can take more punishment. I can't tell for sure though. The 24's turrets have better angles too but the 17 has devastating frontal power. Interestingly, one could maybe argue the 26 is best because it's faster (less damage per sortie but more sorties). It's guns aren't quite as good but still pretty tough, a much better jinker.

2. Is it true a Lanc could sneak through with 14k and end the war by hitting the HQ?

3. If you're on fire, is there anything you can do?

4. Does the b25c have any role ?

5. What does a good buff bombardier do on a run (or runs)? Like what speed, direction, how many bombs per target, how many runs

I'm an excellent gunner but otherwise total n00b
1.  B24 has certain things that it's suited for (hangers) and B17 has others (city/town). Lancs are best!!
2.  No matter what anyone says, I've dropped HQ solo in Lancs on one pass with the 14/1k package.  And I have the film to prove it.  Landed it too!
3.  Nope. Fire is out of our control.
4.  No clue lol. Never flown it.
5.  Climb up high, always.  Level about 15 miles away from your target.  If you are dropping several hangers pre plan the direction so you can hit two per pass.  You gotta learn what targets take what ords.  Hangers, 2k per plane (6k total). Town buildings...  Depends on how you pickle it.  If you want to be a good bomber, learn your plane in the TA. Then do lots of sorties.  Bombing=Fun!!!
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline theblitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 07:23:21 PM »
One crazy thing I like doing is dropping all my bombs on the first run at 1 or 2 targets and fly around at 8k feet in a 17 and just focus on fighter kills

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
One crazy thing I like doing is dropping all my bombs on the first run at 1 or 2 targets and fly around at 8k feet in a 17 and just focus on fighter kills

Just wait until you get in on a high alt large mission. Even at 20+K there's a hell of a fight brewing. The fun of it is the uncertainty of how the mission will go. ;) So many dynamics & variables involved, and the fights are a blast.  :aok
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 08:44:58 PM »

HiTech

What are the coads that make the B-26 tail gun bulletproof and the B-29's paper mache'?  :neener:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline theblitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
How's the b29 btw? My only experience with it is when my shot up b25c and a shot up drone shot one down months ago. It looks like a monster though. Can it take a lot of punishment?

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 11:14:53 PM »
The B-29 flames a bit easier than the B-24 I think.  Feels like it to me, both being in them and intercepting them.  Take a formation of them over a Capital, and you are VERY likely to lose 2 of them to the flak, especially if you make more than one pass.  Last time I took a set of 29's over a Capital, I lost 2 in my first pass to flak.  Both of them caught fire.  Another thing to note, their engines catch fire very easy.  This is from intercepting them that I know this, though I DID intercept in a 163.  But it seems that it really doesn't take much to set their engines on fire.  Some here have been lucky enough to find 29's while in something that doesn't have 30mm's, so they will have better information.

Another thing to note is that the bombsite on it is inaccurate.  Drops are off no matter altitude, though it does get a little better the lower you are, it's still off.  In any other bomber I can get to 30k, I can get laser precision when compared to the 29's bombsite.  This doesn't really bug me as I only use the 29 for hitting a Capital, or once in a blue moon, towns.  In a way, it's a good thing.  I think HiTech intended it for use against the Capital and towns. :aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline theblitz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 11:45:39 PM »
Interestingly I shot that 29 down by starting an engine fire. Funfact I guess