Author Topic: Hello!!  (Read 2033 times)

Offline nate617

• Zinc Member
Hello!!
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:00:16 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here and new to flight sims and been told once you get the hang of it, this is the only flight sim worth playing. I love historic aircraft as well as current and was lucky enough to serve in the Royal Air Force for a few years which only spurred my enthusiasm!! I am actually trying to get back in as I miss it so much.

Any who, that's me. I'm currently playing offline practice as I so new to all this. I have a Pro Flight 2 joystick from logic 3 as that is all my budget will stretch too at the minute. Not the best but not the worst. If anyone has any suggestions for button mapping it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to learn to fly the Hurricane well and later on the Lancaster.

Hopefully see you in the air soon!!

Nate

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: Hello!!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
Welcome Nate!  :cheers:

Just so you know the Lanc. Pwns any late war fighter in the turning game... :D
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 01:07:19 PM »
 :aok :aok :aok Welcome.....what are you wearing?  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here and new to flight sims and been told once you get the hang of it, this is the only flight sim worth playing. I love historic aircraft as well as current and was lucky enough to serve in the Royal Air Force for a few years which only spurred my enthusiasm!! I am actually trying to get back in as I miss it so much.

Any who, that's me. I'm currently playing offline practice as I so new to all this. I have a Pro Flight 2 joystick from logic 3 as that is all my budget will stretch too at the minute. Not the best but not the worst. If anyone has any suggestions for button mapping it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to learn to fly the Hurricane well and later on the Lancaster.

Nate

:aok

Welcome.  :cheers:

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:09:11 PM »
Welcome :cheers:

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 01:18:49 PM »
Welcome sir!

Welcome to the best WWII flight sim on this planet.  Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Slade  :salute
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 01:22:08 PM »
Hi all,

Nate

Welcome to Aces High Nate.

Hope to see you in the sky soon.

We have Early War Arena and Mid War Arena that have fewer folks in them. When your ready to fly online those are the two arenas I suggest trying first.

Good luck and have fun.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:37:13 PM »
First,
Welcome.  :salute

Second,
It depends on how many buttons you have available on your joystick as to what you should map to it. At the very least you should map "Fire all guns" to your trigger. Many planes have primary and secondary weapons (like machine guns primary and cannons secondary, or two banks of the same guns). If you have the buttons available, you can map your trigger to fire everything, one button for primary only and another button for secondary only. You should probably have a button for secondary weapon anyway, since this is how you drop bombs or fire rockets.

If your stick has a throttle, obviously use it for analog throttle control.

If you have an 8-way hat switch, you might use it to map your head views.

I guess it all depends on what you're comfortable with, and what keyboard keys you use most often.

You might also want to check this out:
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

or this
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Customize_your_commands
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 01:39:54 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
Hi all,

Nate

Welcome to the game, Nate.  Enjoy.

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
Nate, Joachim is just funny with his Lanc comment. My observations, brilliantly worth free advice. The Hurri is great, typically used for 'down and dirty' base defense. The ubber birds have speed to get in and out of a fight, so the 190D, P-51D, 109K4, Yak, etc. Those that like to turn and burn use fighters that also have high end speed to reset a fight that is going badly. Spit16s and Ki-84s come to mind. The Spit8 seems to get a lot of use by the Spit-dweebs, it has wing-fuel tanks, thus giving it great dive speed, better zoom to altitude, yet turns like any Spit does.

If you bring a Hurri to most fights you will tend to end up dead. Just my observation. It's somewhat like a Sioux Indian warrior, going into the enemies camp, tied a leather chord around their ankle then pounding a stake into the ground so he can't escape: Very dangerous, only a matter of time before they kill you.

Best of luck and looking forward to seeing another stick in the air.

Boo

PS Next questions you should ask is around squads. Save that one for later though, like arguing who has the best soccer/football team. Oy Vey!!
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 01:47:39 PM »
Welcome, sir. You will find your nitche. Be patient. There's something in this game for everyone. Have fun.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 01:51:38 PM »
Hi all,

Nate

Welcome.  If you are ever told to press "alt F8"  don't do it.    :salute
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 01:57:19 PM »
Welcome.  If you are ever told to press "alt F8"  don't do it.    :salute

Alt-F8??  :headscratch:

If you mean the Windows standard Alt-F4 to instantly kill the foreground process (like when you're in Aces High), there's a warning that pops up to ask if you really want to do it.

So Nate, feel free to get a feel for the controls and options offline for as long as you need. Once you go online, your free two weeks begins. No sense in wasting most of that time trying to figure out how to start your engine and get off the ground.  ;)

Once you do go online, visit the Training Arena; people in there are able and willing to help. As mentioned, the Early War and Mid War arenas have fewer people in them than Late War, and some of those guys are willing to help...if they're not busy fighting.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:02:05 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
<SNIP> If anyone has any suggestions for button mapping it would be greatly appreciated. I really want to learn to fly the Hurricane well and later on the Lancaster.

Nate

Repost this request in the Help & Training forum. Mention the type of joystick you're using. You can also use the "search" function. While you're there, you might request some time with a member of the training staff. Getting your jstick set-up for views/assignments is fairly critical.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 02:07:53 PM »
Welcome to Aces High! It will become a home eventually, one that may delight you and annoy your wife/girlfriend for years to come.

If you know what time you'll be online, it would be my pleasure to work with you in the Training Arena.  :aok
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!