Author Topic: Large Base - Demolitions  (Read 664 times)

Offline Blakes7

• Zinc Member
Large Base - Demolitions
« on: November 22, 2019, 12:08:39 AM »
On the Crater map there are large bases e.g. A43. They have only 2 bridges allowing GV access. I would allow base defenders a way to blow the bridges, perhaps like Task Groups, or a new type of Jeep/M3 cargo using the vehicle sups model.

The driver or "base commander" can blow the bridges, which then are down for a period of time. Only LVTs or C47s can then drop troops and the base can only be attacked/resupped from the air or from across the river.

Of course blowing the bridge also would prevent outbound vehicle spawning for that period of time. Introduce nail-biting decision-making.

Have also some kind of perk system for partisan convoy/rail demolitions and also enemy patrols. Drop troops within a certain distance of a convoy route or railroad, having earned certain perks from supping or something universal. Same with base patrols to defend the railroads and routes. Can be entirely text-based but a modified troop skin and real drops would be great.

In the same way a gunner can join a plane, players could drop too as partisans or engineers and perform demolitions.

Give us gruelling decisions on blowing stuff up and let us blow stuff up more please.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 12:10:36 AM by Blakes7 »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Large Base - Demolitions
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »
on really large bases like the one you proposed, it's already hard to take it. including that 1/2 the base needs to be deacked.  you make it any harder and it would be impossible to take it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 04:18:41 PM »
exploring new gameplay ideas that have an original authenticity about them would be a great way to keep the entertainment levels high.

HT once mooted a First person shooter type addition but it's getting it to fit in with the current game that is the problem.

I think jeeps that can be multi crewed with say anti tank weapons or demolition type loadouts would be cool.  Weapon packs that can be dropped so that if a bailed out pilot comes across them he can then assume that role. You can point to the massive success of fortnite and pubg that a kooky WW2 basic addition would be pretty cool.  The ability to leave a vehicle or plane and join something else.

Also spawning into a C47 with friends and being dropped behind enemy lines would be cool.   gliders being towed with some sort of artillery/mortar weapons to shell towns etc.

Take a lancaster and a glider and have the ability for another player to unhook and land in sneaky places.

The only advantage that I can see that AH has over its contemporaries is the multiplayer battleground aspect where everyone fights and flies in the same arena.  By making some cool new features to enhance that experience is a win IMO.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 11:39:48 PM »
Gliders, towed player-manned artillery, and beefing up the infantry side in general could definitely add interesting new gameplay elements.

TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing actual TERRAIN capture as a mechanic, as opposed to only capturing fields. It could work in tandem; Say, you can still capture a field, but if you don't capture the surrounding terrain enemy AI infantry units will auto-spawn and attempt to take it back (maybe have them as formations which appear on the map around the field, and periodically spawn runners that try to reach the map room). Destroying one of these infantry formations will buy you some time, but it will eventually respawn. In order to "secure" the field you would also have to gain control of the surrounding terrain (maybe a sector HQ strat or infantry encampment object that needs to be taken or destroyed).

Maybe have these spawns be a combination of infantry formations backed by field guns. Or what about two AI infantry units coming together, with players acting as armored and close air support. You could even have players control the infantry by issuing strategic orders like Dig In, Advance, Retreat, Charge, while the AI handles the actual fighting.

There's a LOT that could be done with the ground game both in support of GV play itself, as well as the air game.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.