Author Topic: quick questrion  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
quick questrion
« on: July 29, 2012, 04:57:12 PM »
why when you plane catches on fire you explode

IE: B24s wings fall off after they catch on fire it seems unrealistic

I would appreciate some feed back
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: quick questrion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »
You're asking why an airplane can explode and break apart after they catch fire right?

Quick answer then :D  They are typically full of fuel, fuel is combustible.  Things that combust can damage the things that hold your wings on. 

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:45:32 PM »
 :bhead
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:49:54 PM »
My problem is it happens to quickly   

In Real Life the planes did not explode as quickly

He who must not be named

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 05:51:06 PM »

:huh
See Rule #4

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:51:29 PM »
 :rofl
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 05:59:08 PM »
Don't kid yourself.  There were seconds to react by crewmen or they were dead.  The guys on a crew I researched spent a lot of time getting their time down from turret to bail out.  They figured it had to be under 5 seconds.  It proved it's worth as they took a Flak shell in the cockpit over Vienna and had to get out.  Only 5 of the 12 on board made it.  The guy I got to know and his buddy both used what they''d practiced to get out that fast.  It was instant reaction and they still almost got trapped riding the wreck down.  Sadly at least three were still alive and unwounded and rode it in to their deaths because they didn't have time to get out.

As for realistic. Note that of these 4 B24s, all burning and going down, only 1 of 40+ crew got out.  he was thrown out when it exploded but happened to have his chute on and survived.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 06:03:55 PM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
     I remember reading a book by a B-24 navigator flying with the 15th AF.  He said they used to count to 10 after being hit by
flak, if they hadn't exploded by then they figured they were ok.  Kind of brings it home, doesn't it.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:02:30 PM »
Now there ARE stories of planes catching fire, and still making it home, I believe it was Memphis Belle? (correct me if I'm wrong) who caught fire, put it in a dive and used the high air speed to put the flames out? As well as the P47 who got jumped by 190's and flamed? The flames went out and he made it home eventually... I think it would be interesting to change the fire dynamic so as they are unpredictable, some will explode you or rip wings off, others might take seconds or a minute or 2 to kill you, others may just go out, of have the ability to be put out by high speeds? Maybe?

Oh, and just in case I am totally wrong   
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Digr1

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:08:26 PM »
110 octane av gas burns fast

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 09:55:19 PM »
Now there ARE stories of planes catching fire, and still making it home, I believe it was Memphis Belle? (correct me if I'm wrong) who caught fire, put it in a dive and used the high air speed to put the flames out? As well as the P47 who got jumped by 190's and flamed? The flames went out and he made it home eventually... I think it would be interesting to change the fire dynamic so as they are unpredictable, some will explode you or rip wings off, others might take seconds or a minute or 2 to kill you, others may just go out, of have the ability to be put out by high speeds? Maybe?

Oh, and just in case I am totally wrong   
(Image removed from quote.)

You've been watching too many movies :)

There were occasions where bombers tried to dive to put out fires.  It might work or it would have the opposite result in increasing the intensity of the fire and the wing burning off faster.  One of the things you come across often in stories of the bombers both RAF and USAAF is that many times planes came home short of crewmen as with the first damage guys would bail out before it was too late.  For gunners in the rear of the plane, there was often no knowing if the pilots were ok if there was a hit up front.

Using the example of the B24 crew I got to know.  Both pilots were killed by the flak shell in the cockpit.  Of the guys behind the bomb bay, only two made it out of the five back there.  One of the gunners, the youngest guy on the crew was last seen with his chute on, trying to contact the pilots to get permission to bail.  He wouldn't leave without it despite the effort of the two guys who did survive.

Images from "The Mighty Eighth" by Roger Freeman

First is a 17 that dove to put the fire out.  Pilot came home alone as the rest of the crew bailed.

I think the hard thing to understand for us cartoon pilots is we never face dying.  I imagine the will to survive is pretty strong under the circumstance.  The fire is spreading quick on this 17 and you gotta believe they are racing to get out.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:43 PM »
Awesome stuff, Corky! Thanks a lot for the info bud  :cheers:  :rock  :salute
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

I'm goona guess you've never seen 100LL burn have you.
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline mike8318

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:38:05 PM »

And you know this from first hand experence?
Don't try and outweird me.I get stranger things than you free in my breakfast cereal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dKgjtBxyis&feature=youtu.be

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 08:27:14 AM »
I'm goona guess you've never seen 100LL burn have you.
what is it

He who must not be named