Author Topic: Time for a sky color tweak?  (Read 321 times)

Offline Wraith_TMS

• Copper Member
      • My Web Depot
Time for a sky color tweak?
« on: August 03, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »
First, congrats on the new environment capabilities, HTC; they look great!

Given the new capabilities, I suggest a small change in the online environment itself (specifically the sky) might be called for, in order to really get the best out of the new cloud layer and reflection settings.  See my screenshot (offline testing, unedited screenshot) as an example.  Notice how much brighter the environment looks.

Offline, I only lightened 3 sky color settings: horizon fog, clouds, and sky.  I think the overall effect is of a sky at a different time of the year from what we currently have in the MA.  I don't think I've ever seen the arena sky colors change in the last few years, except for special events, so given the beautiful new effects, maybe it's time for a more "summery" look to the sky?   I was inspired by the new cloud layer that was introduced and how it resembled the sky/cloud layer we've had in my part of So Cal over the last few days.  Our local sky here has been a bit brighter, with very high clouds resembling the new layer, so I tried to recreate it a bit with these settings. 

I'm suggesting this because I think that such a change would be simple, not affect frame rates, and would give an immediate, new and brighter look to the AH world to complement the new environment settings.  When reflected on the new shiny bits, the overall effect of a brighter sky could be stunning.

FWIW,  :cheers:

o--[--Wraith----   
The Musketeers 
(In-game: Wraithe)
"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig." -- R. A. Heinlein

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Re: Time for a sky color tweak?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 01:00:07 PM »
need a more gradiated or texturemapped sky in my opinion.

deeper darker blue the higher the altitude too.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 04:29:52 PM »
Perhaps I am misunderstanding the OP, but "brighter" is not what we need for the sky.  Actually, the sky is too bright relative to the ground on most maps, relative to the real world.  This is especially bad when the sun is low in the sky, but even at "high noon", on most maps, the sky is too bright relative to the ground.  At high noon, a field of grass in bright sunlight, should be relatively similar to the sky in terns of brightness.  Check it out the next time you go outside.  This is both an aesthetic and an eyestrain issue. 

MH

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
agreed deacon, brighter and more saturated is the last thing we need. I dont expect it to be like western front europe (grey 90% of the time) but the holiday brochure colour palette gets wearing after a while.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:07:34 PM »
I'm sure I have tweaked these a bit since I put this up on Photobucket, but try these colors offline or in your custom arena and change the time of day to see dawn, noon, dusk and night...

My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals