Author Topic: Trinity  (Read 7963 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Trinity
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Yah, another squad who frequents your country....but quantity has a quality in and of itself

Oh... I get it now. You dont fly enough to speak from actual experience. Keeping trolling your doing a fine job!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2012, 12:31:25 AM »
It has nothing to do with "maps being made by pilot types". Most of the maps were made back in the day when there was very little GV combat. The game was about flying as the name implies "Aces High". Now there is more of an interest in GVs and the newer maps we have DO have good GV action added to them. The problem is we haven't had a map added in a long time either.

<snip>

I am skeptical about the second part of this statement.  The only current maps which have good GV action are Compello (with its chained, relatively inaccessible vBases), Ozkansas (in TT, but only when the ground attack types are not too numerous), and Trinity (with the cliff-spawn in play and TT with assymetrical base ownership, per my other post).  The others vary from bad to horrible for GV combat as they don't provide sufficent isolation for the vBases and/or the vBases are connected only to air bases.  The new maps I have seen discussed on these boards don't seem to be much of an improvement (from a GV perspective), and from the posts by some of the player-mapmakers, I don't think they have thought through the GV aspect as much as they could.  I am going to update my list of characteristics needed by a truely GV-friendly map, as the previous one is missing some of the concepts recently discussed.  

MH
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:43:18 AM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2012, 12:45:44 AM »
There would certainly be alot more action if fewer people were in GV's.  I look at the friendly numbers "in flight" and hardly see any dar, so they are either all noe or theres an awful lot of GV's.  I'd like to be able to see how many are Gv'n compared to how many are in aircraft.  Yeah, it frustrates me to see so many GV'ers.  I'm selfish, I want more flying mates and more flying targets.

There are always plenty of planes up.  The problem is they usually are up in hordes.  If you got rid of GVs, and if all those players remained subscribers, how do you know they wouldn't just join the existing hordes?  I wish HTC could think of a mechanism which would encourage people to spread out more. 

MH

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: August 12, 2012, 01:16:10 AM »
GVs are attracting customers.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: August 12, 2012, 08:19:31 AM »

I might add that the majority of GV combat besides direct support of base captures was happening in Tank Town on Trinity, and almost nil at V135. You could always expect a sizeable portion of the arena population there, often more than one hundred. I learned tanking up there back in the day...  :cry
Yes but that was the old tank town it has been changed. I miss old tank town that is also where I learned to GV in the game at.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:35 AM »
Oh... I get it now. You dont fly enough to speak from actual experience. Keeping trolling your doing a fine job!
really wasn't where I was going with that
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
Replace that useless conglomeration of buildings in the center of Trinity TT with a vBase-plus-spawns (doesn't matter who owns it), and you will see more action there.  As it stands, the only time you can generate GV fights in TT is when the TT "border" is moved to the edge by one side capturing all-but-one of the others' vBases.  In turn, this results in adjacent opposing vBases, which can be shot at, made to flash, and thus made to produce opponents.  Having the plateau overlooking that all-but-one vBase is a *major* interest point as well.  Just far enough away so you can't bombard the base with a non-perk tank, but close enough to eliminate the blind-man's-buff fumbling-type of combat which purely flat terrain tends to involve.  So the attackers have the hill, but the defenders have the adjacent reinforcement capability of the vBase.  

MH

So it sounds like your looking for a "campers dream" map. A plateau to sit up on over looking the enemy to pop them with out a chance to be killed yourself. We can't have a big town in the area because people could hide and kill you as you drive by.  :rolleyes: This is the mentality that make the GVin stagnate and boring for most players. The only challenge you accept is trying to be the first to get your shot off when a tank spawns in before all the other campers can.

I am skeptical about the second part of this statement.  The only current maps which have good GV action are Compello (with its chained, relatively inaccessible vBases), Ozkansas (in TT, but only when the ground attack types are not too numerous), and Trinity (with the cliff-spawn in play and TT with assymetrical base ownership, per my other post).  The others vary from bad to horrible for GV combat as they don't provide sufficent isolation for the vBases and/or the vBases are connected only to air bases.  The new maps I have seen discussed on these boards don't seem to be much of an improvement (from a GV perspective), and from the posts by some of the player-mapmakers, I don't think they have thought through the GV aspect as much as they could.  I am going to update my list of characteristics needed by a truely GV-friendly map, as the previous one is missing some of the concepts recently discussed. 

MH

Of the 12 MA maps we have 6 of them are HTC made which means we have been using them for almost 10 years.... way before any GVin was a part of the game. The other 6 have a mixture of added GV action. The last map added I think was "Montis" What kind of GVin it has I couldn't tell you. It seems to get reset very quickly, but even so, how long ago was that map released? The only date listed at the download page are for the last updates to the maps, not their releases. It has got to be a few years since we've had a new map. NHawk did "montis and he last played March 2009 (if the name is the same guy). How much more has the GV game become popular in those 3+ years?

Offline Hondo101

• Zinc Member
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2012, 01:28:26 PM »
I'm new here but an observation I've made... having a dozen or more campers circling a spawn point discourages anyone from spawning in after a bit. Maybe the actual spawn point could vary randomly, at least vary it anywhere from 2K to 8K or more, never the same exact spot. The random spawn points could vary in time, but allow enough time for those that wanted to spawn in as a group to land at the same location. This would seem to make it much more interesting and more of a challenge for both opponents.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth, and maybe this has already been discussed in the past.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2012, 05:09:07 PM »
The surest way to make them bleed.......is to flank thier *ss and steal their base.

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2012, 05:10:48 PM »
Here , Here  :cheers:

Offline Paladin3

• Copper Member
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2012, 06:40:28 PM »
I like it. I don't like having three maps in a day. I don't like maps where you have to fly one of the three planes that perform at 30k because thats where everyone is.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
I like it. I don't like having three maps in a day. I don't like maps where you have to fly one of the three planes that perform at 30k because thats where everyone is.
  :confused:

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
Add airbases to the TT, problem solved. The horde can roll the undefended bases and the guys who want to fight can fight in TT. 20K mountains also means the horde can't take over TT like they do in FesterMA or ndisle. Horde rolls undefended bases, and the map is over in 2-3 days top.

Everyone is happy.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2012, 07:57:07 PM »

I haven't figured out why most fighters I see at 25,000 feet are over tank town and not a dar bar to be seen over airfields.

I'm usually just passing through when I see them and they immediately dive away 20,000 feet of altitude to friendlies.

I just fly on to my destination.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 07:59:13 PM by icepac »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »
What we need is a revolutionary idea in maps. The same old map makers probably will not come up with something new.

What dont one of you stop whining and make a map instead?  :devil