Author Topic: GV Defense conundrum  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
GV Defense conundrum
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:49:20 AM »
I'd like to point out something that I've been observing since joining AH.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Now when tankers defend a base, instead of posting up near the base and forcing the enemy to drive to you, then do it all over again after you kill him.  We instead have a race to the spawn where you can kill the enemy, and the enemy can instantly respawn to the same area where you killed him and since he can keep respawning without having to actually take the time to drive anywhere to get into combat, he will eventually kill you, now you have to drive all the way back to the spawn, meanwhile the enemy is headed to your base.  Nobody posts up near their own field because they're too busy racing to the spawn in order to get the most kills (in their mind).

Basically it's counter productive to base defense and caters to the enemy tankers at the same time.

Remember back in high school when two guys would start fighting during lunch?  If everybody stays seated, everybody gets to see the action.  If this happened in aces high, everyone would immediately stand to watch and intentionally block the view of as many others as possible.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
Re: GV Defense conundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »
A counter thought...

It's easiest to get a kill if you know where they are.  If you sit at a base, the advantage goes to the attacker as they can then approach from their choice of direction.  Sitting on the base also allows more than one nme to get to the base.  Add a plane to deack the base, and the base is now spawn camped.

At a spawn, they will appear in a confined area, and you will have a better chance at shooting them before they can shoot you.  Sure, the best can spawn and snap shoot you, but if more than one is camping the spawn, then he will die soon enough. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
I didn't say at a base, I said near a base.  Although revetments do work.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:25:28 AM »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:44:13 PM »
In principle, I agree with rob. Defense should require more thought than simply rushing to the spawn.

One of the best defensive actions I've fought was when we were being pressed back to base. I rounded up about half a dozen friends who could up Panthers to help me out. We drove wide around the side, about half way between base and spawn. When we saw a good opening, we smashed in through their flank and cut off the guys at the front. We bagged a couple Tiger's, and another Panther, then set up a defensive line and waited for the guys at base to catch up with us.

Now, granted that we had 5-6 Panthers, its still a good move, and I think kind of exemplifies what rob is talking about.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 01:13:36 PM »
In principle, I agree with rob. Defense should require more thought than simply rushing to the spawn.

One of the best defensive actions I've fought was when we were being pressed back to base. I rounded up about half a dozen friends who could up Panthers to help me out. We drove wide around the side, about half way between base and spawn. When we saw a good opening, we smashed in through their flank and cut off the guys at the front. We bagged a couple Tiger's, and another Panther, then set up a defensive line and waited for the guys at base to catch up with us.

Now, granted that we had 5-6 Panthers, its still a good move, and I think kind of exemplifies what rob is talking about.

Exactly, working together to get kills and stop the enemy and save your base so you can land them.

Not working near each other to try and see how many kills YOU can get before you get killed.  As well as making it extremely easy for the enemy to spawn in instantly and eventually take out all the spawn campers.

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 01:30:28 PM »
I rounded up about half a dozen friends who could up Panthers to help me out.

I'm calling BS on this.  You do not have "half a dozen friends".

Easy...........
I keed, I keed..............

On a more serious note, GV's suck.  (see above)

I did kinda go wtf when last night defending a base in my Trusty P47N, baggin kills, havin fun, I kept hearing someone on range say "Hey guys, drag them enemy aircraft over here so us wirbles have something to shoot at", referring to the same base I was defending.  Ya see, my intention is to kill them before they get to the base.  They are in a plane, I are in a plane, we are fighting in planes.  I want to kill them myself.  I flew there to kill them.  I hate being shot by a GV while in a fight, so I really don't want to do that to my adversary.  Have I appreciated a GV killing an enemy on me while I'm doing my best to land all crippled up, yes.  It also does not please me to chase a guy as he is attacking a base, putting rounds in him, only to have a GV score the kill when the enemy buzzes the base.

Yeah, yeah, I'm not a GV'r, I get it.

:salute all the guys who have fun in GV's
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
You're a jug pilot that hates it when GV's shoot at him?

Have you lost your mind?  Those wirbles are my favorite thing to kill with a plane.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »
You're a jug pilot that hates it when GV's shoot at him?

Have you lost your mind?  Those wirbles are my favorite thing to kill with a plane.

I have shot down maybe 3 or 4 GV's, from an aircraft ever.  It just does not appeal to me.  Allthough one of them was Midway and that made me giggle a bit, still didn't get much satisfaction from it.  It's like shooting the radar tower down in a fighter.  It doesn't move, doesn't shoot back, and there is no human in it to kill..................pffffff fffffffffft.

BTW Rob, except for the hate part, I hate you.  (Take a breath, relax, read that again)

Homey  :salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
Now I'm really curious...

Why don't you favor the M model Jug?  Everyone I know swears up and down that it is the A#1 Jug for air combat.

<S>

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 01:49:10 PM »
Now I'm really curious...

Why don't you favor the M model Jug?  Everyone I know swears up and down that it is the A#1 Jug for air combat.

<S>

Internal fuel load on the M is half of the fuel load of the N.  I have to take 3 small drop tanks just to equal the internal fuel load of the N, and of course that's more drag so it climbs slower.   I may be wrong but it feels like maybe the N has more rudder control also.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:00:05 PM »
I'd like to point out something that I've been observing since joining AH.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who's noticed this.

Now when tankers defend a base, instead of posting up near the base and forcing the enemy to drive to you, then do it all over again after you kill him.  We instead have a race to the spawn where you can kill the enemy, and the enemy can instantly respawn to the same area where you killed him and since he can keep respawning without having to actually take the time to drive anywhere to get into combat, he will eventually kill you, now you have to drive all the way back to the spawn, meanwhile the enemy is headed to your base.  Nobody posts up near their own field because they're too busy racing to the spawn in order to get the most kills (in their mind).

Basically it's counter productive to base defense and caters to the enemy tankers at the same time.

Remember back in high school when two guys would start fighting during lunch?  If everybody stays seated, everybody gets to see the action.  If this happened in aces high, everyone would immediately stand to watch and intentionally block the view of as many others as possible.

I don't mind spawn campers, I just don't reup and get caught up in "whack a mole."

I fly in a JU87 with a VW and egg their azzes.

What is 100X more GHEY is the guy who ups a Tiger (of either flavor) to "defend" - and never leaves concrete. They can take multiple hits from GVs without fear, and they can't be egged.

Give me a 10 second delay to tower from a GV if there is any con within 1.5K................
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:07:29 PM »
If a base is under GV attack I will drive my tank towards the town and once near the town will turn towards the enemy spawn and attempt to push them all the way back to their spawn area.  I learned my lesson long ago, that if you have enemy behind you working the town, you may find yourself camping a spawn that now belongs to the enemy spawning in and the base you just upped from.   :uhoh
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 11:31:37 AM »
Internal fuel load on the M is half of the fuel load of the N.  I have to take 3 small drop tanks just to equal the internal fuel load of the N, and of course that's more drag so it climbs slower.   I may be wrong but it feels like maybe the N has more rudder control also.
you are not wrong.....M flies like an N after its rudder has been shot off....N does most things better than M
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/