Author Topic: Proper / Custom Adjustment for In Game Video  (Read 785 times)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Proper / Custom Adjustment for In Game Video
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:41:53 AM »
I have failing eyesight that comes along with aging.  When described to me by the Dr., the muscles that dilate and constrict the pupil, weaken with age.  This causes a focus issue for those effected.  Glasses do wonders to provide a clearer image.

However, constriction of the pupil also helps to reduce the amount of light taken in, somewhat like a camera.*(that is my understanding not the doctor's= disclaimer).

I am starting this discussion to share with you what helps me, and also what problems that I endure in Aces High.  I hope that through discussion here we may help each other to have a more wonderful gaming experience.  I will also, be running some trial settings and posting them in later posts to gain feedback for any who wish to comment whether or not they were helpful.

Settings to be discussed most extensively will be:

In Game Gamma and Bump settings (*Aces High)
Video Card -Gamma, Contrast, Brightness settings (*nVidia Graphics Card and Control Panel)
Monitor - Gamma, Contrast, Brightness setting (*HP S2031 on screen menu control panel)

*These settings are based upon my personal equipment.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Current Aces High Settings
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
Video Settings (from splash screen options)

Resolution 1280 x 720 (this is non native setting HPS2031 native setting is 1600 x 900)
Max Texture Size = 2048
Antialias = First notch above none

Graphic Detail Settings:
Gamma 1.1
Object Detail = Full Right (Faster)
Ground Detail = Full Right (0.5 miles)
Advanced Tab:
Bump Map - Checked / Updates = Full Right (none)
Shadow Texture Size = 512
Bump Terrain - Checked
Detail Terrain - Checked
Shadow on Others - Checked

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Graphics Card Control Panel - nVidia GeForce 210
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:19:05 AM »
20% Brightness
80% Digital Vibrance (may also relate to saturation)
72% Contrast
1.51 Gamma
357o Hue

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Monitor Adjustment (HP S2031 )
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:26:16 AM »
Brightness = 63%
Contrast = 97%
Sharpness = 5 (sharpest)

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Re: Proper / Custom Adjustment for In Game Video
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 12:03:38 PM »
For a comparison of a screenshot and an actual airshow photo:

In my opinion, metal could have darker tones, but mostly right on  :cheers:

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »
I got a bigger monitor.  It helped my PC experience in more ways than one...

I also cleaned my glasses and  :O
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 05:06:35 PM »
Von,

You have to stop marking your monitors (bad doggy)  :D

My first adjustment has been to the bump map update slider.  I position it to the first notch above none.  This gives me some darker shadows immediately without any other adjustments.

Every update that I have made has been to upgrade the visual experience.  Since it has been over a decade and my family actually takes $$$ out of my pocket before Aces High  ;) it has been a slow progression.  13" CRT monitor > 15" CRT monitor x 2 (fried a monitor with incorrect video card settings once) > 13" laptop LCD > 15" Sony LCD > currently 21-23" LCD (not sure of actual size).

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
Von,

You have to stop marking your monitors (bad doggy)  :D
:rofl
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 09:39:43 AM »
 :salute sorry to hear about your eyesight. i been wearing specs all my life and each time i see the eye doc i get thicker glass. btw i need to go see the eye doc. not looking forward to it, because i know thicker ones acoming.  :cheers:

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 01:00:04 PM »
Bortas1,

The aging vision loss, has given me tons more admiration for those like you, my wife and son who have had life long impairment.  The first clue that I got was when I picked my wife up from a new work location.  I saw her standing on the steps and waved,  :banana: tooted the horn and whistled to get her attention.  Trying to get a parking space in Century City (Los Angeles) at rush hour is an ordeal, and I thought I had it licked.  Instead she looked as if she looked right through me and ignored all my   :x attempts at getting her attention.  Luckily, a spot opened up ahead of me and I was able to slip in with time left on the meter and walk to her location. 

When I asked didn't she at least hear someone trying to get her attention, her reply startled me a bit.  She told me that she heard the commotion that I was making, but all she could make out was a shape that appeared to be waving their arms.  In short, she made it clear to me that for her, that could have been anyone at all, and she wasn't about to make that mistake.  It kind of make sense now why she hooked up with me in the first place.  I could look like George Clooney to her and never knew it.  :P

I know that sight is a precious gift, as when I was a child, I somewhat witnessed my great uncle, who lived with us shortly, go blind.  It really brought it home one night when I came home after dark and I could barely make my way to the lamp, while my uncle was comfortably navigating my home that I had known all my life but even in his brief stay there, clearly had a better idea of the layout.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 01:02:51 PM by Chilli »