Author Topic: Gold as money, again: is this the first step?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Gold as money, again: is this the first step?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:10 PM »
^ this is what drives economies, good on ya :aok
thanks. i had a part time guy, that was working out pretty well. he had a lil bit of an attitude, but kept it hidden from my customers. if he'd not have already found full time work, i'd say he'd have been full time by the end of this month. i know where he went though, and i have a good idea of what they offered him, and there's no way in hell i was in a position to try to match them.

i've got a possibility, but this guy lives in deleware(it's about an hour or so drive from my shop), and he'd have to start of part time again. not sure yet. trying to find someone slightly more qualified, and closer to here........BUT.....that other part i mentioned....about people being willing to spend their money.....that directly effects my ability/need to hire someone.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2012, 10:34:59 PM »
if I were a gucci shop doing expensive custom jobs I'd be worried, but people need working cars and less people buying new should mean you'll be ok :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »
if I were a gucci shop doing expensive custom jobs I'd be worried, but people need working cars and less people buying new should mean you'll be ok :)

i think i will too. right now, it's a tad slow....but i've got time to clean up a bit, catch up on those "headache" jobs, etc.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:21 PM »
Somebody said.. "If you are falling off a cliff, you might as well try to fly!"
No thanks, big trouble is comin, I don't want my posterior hangin out too far right now..
Carrying very little debt, almost none.. Stashing away everything I can..
Not just PM.. All of it, Beans Bandages Bullets and Bucks.. Solar power, water purification..

Funny you are preparing for collapse of the economy but have no debt.   If I thought the same way I would buy everything  with a credit card.  After all in economic collapse first thing to go is credit.   cash would have more value at the beginning of collapse than credit cards.  

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2012, 03:14:40 AM »
Funny you are preparing for collapse of the economy but have no debt.   If I thought the same way I would buy everything  with a credit card.  After all in economic collapse first thing to go is credit.   cash would have more value at the beginning of collapse than credit cards.  

semp

Beware of a politician who promises to make you a millionaire. Inflation is a surefire way to do just that  :cool:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2012, 03:38:41 AM »
As I note in my last line above, this could very well restart a bull market in precious metals (PM); gold, primarily, but other precious metals would also most assuridly rise in value as well.  I don't make a habit of giving investment advise (I'm just a simple country music singer, after all), but adding some PM to your portfolio is something worth considering.  Also, this is a step closer to a return to the gold standard, which some believe is the only hope to avert (or at least survive) a world-wide financial collapse  :noid.  Just found it interesting, and thought I'd see who else did, too.

The fact that you use the word Portfolio indicates that you are aware of finacial jargon.
I have worked for past 20 in a archive for a bank which is at present being investigated for crimminal activities :)

I don't mean to be rude, I am the daftest person i know, the banking system is not going to collapse and the little man on the street is not going have gold under the bed.

The world is not going to turn into "Escape from Newyork"

Little men get jobs pay the bills and get by, they are either stupid and buy lottery tickets or sqaunder thier money on big house or fat cars .

When credit goes pair shaped (because of the 30 year morgage scam) they look for big reasons why.

Investments are nonsense for normal working people  :old:

Collapse is nonsense its economic reality time now, daft people cannot have money on cheap credit anymore.

Buy a antique clock it tells the time and keeps its value and dont keep your money in a bank, when they look into my finances i will tell them i have spent it on beer :rofl

By the way I have a 18th century snuff box if anyone is looking to off load thier paper money no cheques please :rofl :rofl
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:53:54 AM by zack1234 »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2012, 07:13:29 AM »

semp

So, Max your cards and then ditch it all huh??? Not an option for me, I have too much stuff
that can be grabbed by property siezure..

For me, being out of debt, means no one has any financial strings or constraints upon me..
Meaning I don't have to look over my shoulder..

(I'm not the John Corzine type that gets a pass on 200million.. Or was it Billion?)

Some people don't pay attn.. But just in case you didn't notice, due to new laws passed in
the recent "Financial reform", Judges are ordering asset seizure, issuing arrest warrants for debt
default now.. Cities are charging outrageous fines, or evicting people from their land for trivial code violations..

It is happening in my own area..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:24:06 AM by RngFndr »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
So, Max your cards and then ditch it all huh??? Not an option for me, I have too much stuff
that can be grabbed by property siezure..

For me, being out of debt, means no one has any financial strings or constraints upon me..
Meaning I don't have to look over my shoulder..

(I'm not the John Corzine type that gets a pass on 200million.. Or was it Billion?)

Some people don't pay attn.. But just in case you didn't notice, due to new laws passed in
the recent "Financial reform", Judges are ordering asset seizure, issuing arrest warrants for debt
default now.. Cities are charging outrageous fines, or evicting people from their land for trivial code violations..

It is happening in my own area..

last line.....there has always been eminent domain though. there was a big muss n fuss about a privatly owned seafood place along timber creek here in south jersey. the town they were in took it from them with eminent domain, 'cause it better served the public by letting them put up condos......i think that's what they put up anyway.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:53 AM »
last line.....there has always been eminent domain though. there was a big muss n fuss about a privatly owned seafood place along timber creek here in south jersey. the town they were in took it from them with eminent domain, 'cause it better served the public by letting them put up condos......i think that's what they put up anyway.

Rgr that CAP, happenin all over! But the causes are becoming trivial..
Many cases of outright Govt Fraud.. Gettin scary out here next to the
wilderness, with the whole Agenda 21 thing going on..

And I grasp what you are saying about building a Business.. I was there
long ago, but that time of Acquisition and Growth has passed for me..
I am now in preservation mode..

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:37 AM »
Knowledge of brewing?  Check

Knowledge of distillation?  Check

I think that I will have all the currency that I need if the economy collapses.  :aok
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »
WELL, If i platy my cards right, i should be able to build this well enough to pay off my car in less than 3 years, and hopefully pay off my mortgage in less than 10. then i'll be just old enough to enjoy the money i make. hopefully
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2012, 09:16:32 AM »
The fact that you use the word Portfolio indicates that you are aware of finacial jargon.
I have worked for past 20 in a archive for a bank which is at present being investigated for crimminal activities :)

I don't mean to be rude, I am the daftest person i know, the banking system is not going to collapse and the little man on the street is not going have gold under the bed.

The world is not going to turn into "Escape from Newyork"

Little men get jobs pay the bills and get by, they are either stupid and buy lottery tickets or sqaunder thier money on big house or fat cars .

When credit goes pair shaped (because of the 30 year morgage scam) they look for big reasons why.

Investments are nonsense for normal working people  :old:

Collapse is nonsense its economic reality time now, daft people cannot have money on cheap credit anymore.

No rudeness perceived, Zack. :). However, and to quote Yoda, "Only the Sith deal in absolutes." While I don't believe it likely that the a complete collapse of society is immenent, I do believe it highly probable the worst of the financial storms battering the world economy are yet to come. The economy here and in Europe is so fragile, and the systemic problems of excess public dept is already causing some pretty extreme conditions, as demonstrated so graphically in Greece.  The "it can't happen here" attitude doesn't change facts.  The only thing that has saved the US economy from more overt distress is the fact that the US dollar is the world reserve currency.  The Basil III rules could easily be viewed as a preliminary move to lesson reliance on the USD, with the eventual goal of replacing it.  So many different things could provide the sudden shock that would send stocks tumbling, collapse major financial institutions, send interest rates and inflation soaring... So it is only prudent to diversify where practical.  I would never advocate putting all one's money into one asset class (PM, for example), but hedging your bet is always prudent, and you don't have to be rich to do so.

I also disagree with your comment that, "Investments are nonsense for normal working people," though perhaps you were joking.  An IRA or 401K are investments, are they not?  And investments don't have to take the form of stocks, bonds, or even PM. How about slowly building up a year's worth of food as both insurance against short-term disruptions as well as long-term hyper-inflation or even unemployment?  This doesn't take a huge initial investment, and even with the (under estimated) inflation rate of today, it pays way better dividends than most other "investments".
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »
Gold cannot work as a currency in a modern economy.  There simply isn't enough of it and it will constrain the economy.

Paper is plentiful and has value if it has the right ink on it.  :lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2012, 09:19:52 AM »
Paper is plentiful and has value if it has the right ink on it.  :lol

Tell that to the German people, following WWI... :neener:
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
Tell that to the German people, following WWI... :neener:

Exactly lol
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)