Author Topic: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues  (Read 10972 times)

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
Re: Any of you guys good at recognizing statues
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2021, 10:58:05 AM »
Well, bruh, since you bring it up again, I'll throw out my inflated 2 cents.

First, I downloaded the photobucket photo to my PC, and enlarged it as far as it would go, which is not that far.

To me, the lettering of the words on the sculpture do not look like La Lura or Le Lura.

The first letter is taller and differently shaped than the letter at the beginning of the second word, which I would agree is probably our L sound. To me, it is difficult to imagine that a sculpture artist would make such different letters if he or she intended the same letter. To me that would be quite sloppy.

To me, the first letter curves more like a cursive Sigma or what we'd call S. The second letter, after magnifying the photo, looks like Pi to me, not an "a" or "e". So to me the first two letters look like "Sigma, small Pi" - Sp - whatever that might be initials for.

Then the second word does look like it starts off will L and then u. But after that I think it reads "i" not "r". The last visible letter looks mostly to me like an "n" and that would make the word "Luin" which is a name I found in a very simple online search. Another possibility for the last letter might be "s" and that would possibly make the word "Luis" which is another name found online. Then, with "a" as another possibility, it might be "Luia", which I've also found online. For the last possibilty, it looks like some of the stone has been removed from directly below the last visible letter. So that that letter might have been "g". Since the photo is blurry at that magification, that "g" might be followed by a now impossible to recognize "i". In other words, it might possibly spell the name, "Luigi" an Italian name. Maybe.

Then, in the right margin of the photo, about 1/3 down, just slightly higher than the level of the lion's front paw, there is what sorta' looks like a fingerprint smudge on the negative. But when you increase magnification, it looks like it may possibly be a US Stars and Bars fluttering in the Italian breeze. Maybe. Anyway, the "bars" stop right at the edge of the building, which seems slightly odd if this was a fingerprint smudge on the negative.

So, my wild, wild guess is that this is somewhere in Rome, after Italy went full US ally.

But this is all only some slightly-informed guesses, so YMMV.

best wishes

Offline alkali

• Zinc Member
« Reply #121 on: March 09, 2021, 11:55:28 PM »
The picture has been taken at the Palazzo della Borsa, Napoli, Italy - Piazza Giovanni Bovio.
You can check in Google street view, it’s still there nowadays.
All best,
Marc
Friendship
RAF 341 Squadron - Groupe de chasse 3/2 Alsace

Offline alkali

• Zinc Member
« Reply #122 on: March 09, 2021, 11:57:44 PM »
And the sculptor of the winged lions is one Luigi de Luca indeed:
https://www.napoligrafia.it/monumenti/palazzi/borsa/borsa01.htm
Friendship
RAF 341 Squadron - Groupe de chasse 3/2 Alsace

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2021, 02:45:30 AM »
Bravo alkali.  :aok  Way to go!

It only took almost 9 years!  :D

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2021, 08:54:00 AM »
The picture has been taken at the Palazzo della Borsa, Napoli, Italy - Piazza Giovanni Bovio.
You can check in Google street view, it’s still there nowadays.
All best,
Marc

Very cool! Finally got an answer after all of these years. It makes sense too considering he would have gone there on leave and was there when he was hospitalized with pneumonia.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
Midway !

where have you been?  I miss shooting your T-34.....then waiting 3 seconds for it to blow up   :D :D :D

(just kidding).  I hope all is well.  :salute

I have looked at a lot of statues and have always thought about what the artist was trying to communicate.
ie. : Why were David's hands so big? The metaphor was something from that time period and maybe it does not have the same meaning today.
btw........His unit was pretty tiny as well  LOL.  That might be saying something....and we will never know.

:rolleyes:
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2021, 07:29:00 PM »
I spent hours with this. I am so glad we found it. Well done to you, sir.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com