Author Topic: My Wife Asks Me..  (Read 4129 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: My Wife Asks Me..
« Reply #75 on: September 05, 2012, 08:46:55 PM »
I stopped an older lady in a small car with no seatbelt, she was courteous and apologetic and accepted she was wrong. I let her go without a ticket and saw the same car 2 days later, she had her seatbelt on and my discretion was justified. I stopped a guy in a hopped up Nissan the same day, he had no seatbelt on because he had fitted a racing harness that hurt to wear. He also suggested that I might bbetter earn my wages, (that he was paying for!) and go out and find some "real criminals".
He went away with a fine and a producer.

UK police rarely face the same threats as their US counterparts, nevertheless the threat exists, I have deep scarring on my arm as testament, I dont understand why people would refuse a legitimate search of their vehicle, whatever you believe, police officers really dont get off on digging around in your waste fast food wrappers looking for contraband. If you are belligerant and obstructive, whatever your sex, then the percieved threat level increases exponentially and you are more likely to get rorked out onto the floor and restrained.

Could you please define what a legitimate search is?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

My definition hinges on probable cause.  Unreasonable to me means, well...  without reason.  Because you are bored is not a reason.  If you have probable cause, you will not be asking for permission.

Many times I have been posed the question "Do you mind if we take a look around in your car?"  many times I have responded "Officer I don't consent to any searches. Am I free to go?" 

On every occasion, the answer has been "Yes"
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
There is nothing wrong with my seatbelt logic.  I refuse to do comply with anything simply because the gov't says to.
so you're fine with not wearing your seatbelt during a click it or ticket campaign......even if you end up as a vegetable for the rest of your life in so doing?

here's why i'm such an avid believer in seatbelts.

about 8 or so years ago, i jumped in my 89gt. it was drizzling. bear in mind, back then, i wore my seatbelt only if i felt like it. anyway, i fired her up, let her warm up for a few seconds, back out of my parking space, and start to pull out of the shops driveway. as the front wheels roll over the apron of the drive, something told me to stop.(i still think to this day that was my grandmother looking over my shoulder)  i did, and i backed into the driveway again, and put my seatbelt on, then headed out.
 3 minutes and 2 miles later, a saturn crossed the road, and smacks me head on. i almost dodged her, but i couldn't make it.(guess since i couldn't dodge a car, i can't dodge a ball). i was doing around 30 to 40mph, and from what the lady said, so was she. thankfully, although she was taken away in an ambulance, she wasn't hurt too badly. her airbag saved her from serious injury. she had no seatbelt on, and still managed to smack the windshield. virtually the only injury i suffered was a slight bruise where the seatbelt grabbed me. to this day, i truly believe that i'd have been seriously FUBAR'd had i not put on my seatbelt that day.
 i don't care what other people choose to do. i don't take a motor vehicle off of my parking lot, or out of my driveway without a seatbelt now. and my car doesn't move till passengers are buckled in. if they want to exercise their right to not buckle up in my car, then they can also exercise their right to walk.

the second cause of me believing in seatbelts is the time i landed on the roof in a mitsubishi galant. that's another story though.

if you're making a choice to wear your seatbelt, then keep on wearing it. don't pick that battle. you seem like a pretty cool guy, and it'd suck to read on here that you've been FUBAR'd doing that little protest.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2012, 09:34:34 PM »
IDK, personally, I was fine untill the second time they slammed her to the ground, and on the fence untill the fist bump.

Cops get a lot of crap from people, almost all of it undeserved. If one of them loses their cool once in a while, I'm inclined to either look away, or hope they get put on desk work for a while, depending on how bad they lose it.

I mean look at it this way; say the woman spits in his face. If she were the 5th person to do so inside of 2hrs, its perfectly understandable why he would lose it. Would it justify the cops actions? Not even slightly. But it would mean we shouldn't freak out, claim the system is corrupt or disgraced, and fire him on the spot.

Also, consider, had the driver been 6'1 and black, nobody would have said a word.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: September 05, 2012, 09:48:15 PM »
If you have probable cause, you will not be asking for permission.

I have been stopped twice and told one officer no he could not search my vehicle, the other officer i told no problem search my vehicle.  Both times they escalated the situation. I can tell you my life was a risk both times, from badge heavy salamanders looking for a fight. Serve and protect ya right. Telling them ya search my vehicle didn't help at all. They were looking for a fight. If I hadn't had training I would not be alive. They don't tell you place your hands on the steering wheel so we can watch for furtive movements. Your fluffied if you scratch your nose. I was told to place my hands on the steering wheel. Then an officer told me to undo my seatbelt. That is called a furtive movement ( he was reaching for a holstered gun so I thought circular reasoning bs after they forcibly removed me from my vehicle. I had asked why I was being detained. " what do you think" was the answer. I asked again why am I being detained. "get out of the vehicle or we will remove you".

Why did you move your hand, ah because the other officer told me to undo my seatbelt. So busy looking for furtive movement they aren't even listening to their buddy.

I was nice gave all the paperwork they asked for told them why I was where I was at and what I was doing, and gave them information so they could check it out. Still didn't do any good.

Any officer that asks to search a vehicle should not have a gun and badge. ITs just that simple. They have already escalated a situation by asking, and just looking for a fight.

If they have probable cause they will give a lawful order.

No officer has the right to beat anyone at any time for mouthing off.

Last time I check being an officer is voluntary and they get a pay check. Don't tell me how dangerous it is. That is a risk they get paid for, If they don't think so, do something else. It doesn't mater how many jerks they deal with again they are   paid professionals, It is never an excuse to treat me in an unlawful manner. If they take out the logical fallacies in the decision making tree, most officers can't function.

So me the line of evidence of why you detained me searched my vehicle and then forcibly removed me. It can't be done without local fallacies all the way. What was the misunderstanding??????
Shame on any officer for using  coercive aggression. Asking for permission when they know most individuals think they are being giving an order is wrong. They have no right to ask if it isn't a lawful order, but they do anyway.

Cops get a lot of crap from people, almost all of it undeserved. If one of them loses their cool once in a while, I'm inclined to either look away, or hope they get put on desk work for a while, depending on how bad they lose it.

This is just a logical fallacy, and terrible sloppy thinking. :bolt:

I mean look at it this way; say the woman spits in his face. If she were the 5th person to do so inside of 2hrs, its perfectly understandable why he would lose it. Would it justify the cops actions? Not even slightly. But it would mean we shouldn't freak out, claim the system is corrupt or disgraced, and fire him on the spot.

Yes he should be fired on the spot. You won't look the other way when it is your wife's or kids  face slammed into the pavement.

So what you saying is ya its ok to beat the crap out of your wife if she mouths off a couple times.

The cops would take you to jail if your wife mouthed off to you and you beat her up. Cops should he held to same standard.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
The prevalence of dash cams and the wide availability of handheld recording devices to members of the public is already doing a great deal to identify and punish those officers of the law who are a disgrace to their badges (and evidently there are a lot of them)

Although there is a pattern of police officers being very lightly punished or even literally getting away with murder in certain places, we have to hope that accountability is going to increase as time goes on, especially with the internet making it harder to sweep evidence of bad behaviour under the rug
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »
I have been stopped twice and told one officer no he could not search my vehicle, the other officer i told no problem search my vehicle.  Both times they escalated the situation. I can tell you my life was a risk both times, from badge heavy salamanders looking for a fight. Serve and protect ya right. Telling them ya search my vehicle didn't help at all. They were looking for a fight. If I hadn't had training I would not be alive. They don't tell you place your hands on the steering wheel so we can watch for furtive movements. Your fluffied if you scratch your nose. I was told to place my hands on the steering wheel. Then an officer told me to undo my seatbelt. That is called a furtive movement ( he was reaching for a holstered gun so I thought circular reasoning bs after they forcibly removed me from my vehicle. I had asked why I was being detained. " what do you think" was the answer. I asked again why am I being detained. "get out of the vehicle or we will remove you".

Why did you move your hand, ah because the other officer told me to undo my seatbelt. So busy looking for furtive movement they aren't even listening to their buddy.

I was nice gave all the paperwork they asked for told them why I was where I was at and what I was doing, and gave them information so they could check it out. Still didn't do any good.

Any officer that asks to search a vehicle should not have a gun and badge. ITs just that simple. They have already escalated a situation by asking, and just looking for a fight.

If they have probable cause they will give a lawful order.

No officer has the right to beat anyone at any time for mouthing off.

Last time I check being an officer is voluntary and they get a pay check. Don't tell me how dangerous it is. That is a risk they get paid for, If they don't think so, do something else. It doesn't mater how many jerks they deal with again they are   paid professionals, It is never an excuse to treat me in an unlawful manner. If they take out the logical fallacies in the decision making tree, most officers can't function.

So me the line of evidence of why you detained me searched my vehicle and then forcibly removed me. It can't be done without local fallacies all the way. What was the misunderstanding??????
Shame on any officer for using  coercive aggression. Asking for permission when they know most individuals think they are being giving an order is wrong. They have no right to ask if it isn't a lawful order, but they do anyway.

Yes he should be fired on the spot. You won't look the other way when it is your wife's or kids  face slammed into the pavement.

So what you saying is ya its ok to beat the crap out of your wife if she mouths off a couple times.

The cops would take you to jail if your wife mouthed off to you and you beat her up. Cops should he held to same standard.

well said :aok

I absolutely agree with this, although the pay should be higher for a LEO........

and much less for a "senate seat holder" .........

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2012, 11:26:55 PM »
No, its called understanding. I have very low patience for the idiots out there that go mouthing off, saying "stupid pigs". I honestly don't think abusing a police officer should be legal, they're in danger, you damn well owe them some respect.

Cops are as human as we are, and that fancy badge doesn't mean they have a higher tolerance for abuse than anyone else. Nor should we expect them to have a higher tolerance for abuse. If 5 different people spit on you for just doing your job, I'm fairly certian you'd blow up too.

Yes he should be fired on the spot. You won't look the other way when it is your wife's or kids  face slammed into the pavement.
Well, its a good thing I'm not attracted to people of such low intellegence. And honestly, if my kid ever spits on a cop, he's gonna wish I'd give him back to the cops.

BIG difference between mouthing off to a husband, and mouthing off to a uniformed police officer. Don't try and confuse the issue.

Let me just say this; you can expect perfection from the police the instant you yourself achieve perfection. Untill then, you're just being ignorant and oversimplifying things.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 11:34:04 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2012, 11:32:41 PM »
If you mouth off to a Cop you're just stupid.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2012, 11:51:22 PM »
Cops are as human as we are, and that fancy badge doesn't mean they have a higher tolerance for abuse than anyone else. Nor should we expect them to have a higher tolerance for abuse.

Actually, we should.

Police officers are held to higher standards than the rest of us as befits the weighty responsibility they carry.

If someone verbally abused me because they didn't like the company I worked for, the law doesn't allow me to beat the crap out of them because I got hurt feelings. This goes double for cops, who are supposed to uphold the law, not be above it.

By the very nature of their jobs, police are forced into contact with all kinds of a-holes...drunks, habitual criminals, stupid kids, druggies, whatever...they aren't told in training that if any of these people gives them any lip they are allowed to beat the crap out of them  :rolleyes:  They are expected to rise above it and act professionally, only using force when necessary.

Yes, you are stupid if you mouth off to the police. In my personal experience, I have always tried to be nice to them, and I have been lucky that they have always been nice to me instead of f**king me over. I have also seen stupid people get treated harshly for minor offences, just because they tried to act smart or tough with the cop instead of co-operating. That's all fair enough.

But equally, you are stupid if you think that the police should be allowed to beat down on someone for ANY REASON other than when defending themselves, their fellow officers or members of the public.
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 06, 2012, 01:41:26 AM »
nicely put Coombz :aok

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 06, 2012, 08:51:47 AM »
Actually, we should.

Police officers are held to higher standards than the rest of us as befits the weighty responsibility they carry.

If someone verbally abused me because they didn't like the company I worked for, the law doesn't allow me to beat the crap out of them because I got hurt feelings. This goes double for cops, who are supposed to uphold the law, not be above it.

By the very nature of their jobs, police are forced into contact with all kinds of a-holes...drunks, habitual criminals, stupid kids, druggies, whatever...they aren't told in training that if any of these people gives them any lip they are allowed to beat the crap out of them  :rolleyes:  They are expected to rise above it and act professionally, only using force when necessary.

Yes, you are stupid if you mouth off to the police. In my personal experience, I have always tried to be nice to them, and I have been lucky that they have always been nice to me instead of f**king me over. I have also seen stupid people get treated harshly for minor offences, just because they tried to act smart or tough with the cop instead of co-operating. That's all fair enough.

But equally, you are stupid if you think that the police should be allowed to beat down on someone for ANY REASON other than when defending themselves, their fellow officers or members of the public.

I have approached it both ways in multiple encounters:

a)  Trying to argue a point on the side of the road 

b)  Acted politely while still acting within my rights as a citizen

It doesn't take much of an imagination to figure out which option choice went smoother and faster.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: September 06, 2012, 09:57:51 AM »
Here is dashcam video of a Lauren's County Deputy in Georgia. The code that he stated was 1078 - 1018. Here in Georgia that's, Need assistance, Quickly.

Warning, very intense audio. At 3:20 he is choking on blood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoI4G1fWmEQ&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3Dgeorgia%2Bdeputy%2Bshot%2Band%2Bkilled%26oq%3Dgeorgia%2Bdeputy%2Bshot%2Band%2Bkilled%26gs_l%3Dyoutube.3..33i21.238.6666.0.6972.30.28.0.2.2.0.433.3777.11j9j6j0j1.27.0...0.0...1ac.1.PuxfZT0Vp6Q
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2012, 12:46:46 PM »
Here is dashcam video of a Lauren's County Deputy in Georgia. The code that he stated was 1078 - 1018. Here in Georgia that's, Need assistance, Quickly.

Warning, very intense audio. At 3:20 he is choking on blood.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoI4G1fWmEQ&oref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fresults%3Fsearch_query%3Dgeorgia%2Bdeputy%2Bshot%2Band%2Bkilled%26oq%3Dgeorgia%2Bdeputy%2Bshot%2Band%2Bkilled%26gs_l%3Dyoutube.3..33i21.238.6666.0.6972.30.28.0.2.2.0.433.3777.11j9j6j0j1.27.0...0.0...1ac.1.PuxfZT0Vp6Q

Truly shocking video. Equally as shocking is the.comments such as "this video made me so happy". I cannot express how much I would like the oxygen theif that wrote that crap, to really need police assistance sometime. I hope they dont make it in time.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2012, 06:47:47 PM »
Actually, we should.

Higher standards, yes. No public drinking, keep language reasonably clean, be respectfully represent the institution.

Should we expect to be able to say what we want to their faces and get away with little to no consequence because they are police officers? No, not under any circumstances.

Again, I firmly believe that harrasing or insulting a uniformed police officer should be a punishable offense.

And the majority of the time, they do show restraint. Much more than many of the people criticizing them would be able to show, I bet.

But the point is that they're still human. If, at the point a normal citizen would have gotten into a fight, they're a bit rougher than normal.... well, can you really blame them?

Yeah, theres some bad cops. Theres some bad accountants, theres some bad waiters, theres some bad students. But because some cops act without due provocation, we shouldn't automatically assume all of them are. If it were possible, that type of thinking should also carry a fine.

Or maybe, you know, theres just not any D-bags in your police force? Untill proven otherwise, they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Beat down? Yes, I would agree with you there. But like I said, if that woman had been the 5th person to spit on the cop since lunch, I'd have had a hard time feeling sorry for the woman. At least untill the fist bump, at which point I'd be neutral at most.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2012, 03:30:42 AM »
Could you please define what a legitimate search is?

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated"

My definition hinges on probable cause.  Unreasonable to me means, well...  without reason.  Because you are bored is not a reason.  If you have probable cause, you will not be asking for permission.

Many times I have been posed the question "Do you mind if we take a look around in your car?"  many times I have responded "Officer I don't consent to any searches. Am I free to go?" 

On every occasion, the answer has been "Yes"

When I stopped and searched people or vehicles I had to give the reason for the search, my name and collar number, the station to which I was attached, and a copy of the search record.

Legitimate reason could be knowledge of pre-cons, time of day and area ( such as 3am in a high crime area), committing a moving traffic offence, visible signs of furtiveness or bloodshot eyes etc.
If I get stopped and searched at 3am in a high crime area I would have no issues at all in consenting. Refusing a search seems to me that you simply are showing you can exercise your rights. Incidentally, if I stopped anybody under the conditions I mentioned above, I would have the right under UK law to effect a search despite refusal.
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright