Author Topic: A horde or just not discipline formation flying?  (Read 3108 times)

Offline ap1102

• Copper Member
Re: A horde or just not discipline formation flying?
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
 :headscratch: :headscratch: :headscratch: what makes a base undefended?  People see the dar bar on the opposing side.  When i see a roll of bases on our side I always feel a good defense is a good offense. We hit on the flank and make the other side react to us. that usually stops the steamroll form the other side. Its the back and forth that i like. Its not a mystery. We take plenty of bases that are defended quite heavily. Some are not.  Again its proves my point if there is lack of leadership on the opposing side and all you have is people looking to pad score or furball that base is going to be taken as well as the next one and the next one until we win the map. That is our ultimate goal. Its called teamwork and it takes time and effort to develop. Dolby I dont know where we got crossways whether it was jibbing each other on 200 or whatever. if I was in the wrong I apologize. <S> Dolby and LCA

Rhino 

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 09:05:14 AM »
It is not called a horde, the Pigs call it nom noms!  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »
I expect to see these complaints increase in the near future.
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2012, 10:39:29 AM »
As soon as you up a flight with enough ords, fighter cover, and troops to actually take a base, you'll immediately be called a horde by someone.

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2012, 11:19:27 AM »
Definition of HORDE

1a: a political subdivision of central Asian nomads b: a people or tribe of nomadic life

2: a teeming crowd or throng : swarm

Examples of HORDE
A horde of tourists entered the museum.
Hordes of reporters were shouting questions.
Jayro's Strike Team

Origin of HORDE
Middle French, German, & Polish; Middle French & German, from Polish horda, from Ukrainian dialect gorda, alteration of Ukrainian orda, from Old Russian, from Turkic orda, ordu khan's residence
First Known Use: 1555

Synonyms: army, bike [chiefly Scottish], cram, crush, drove, flock, herd, crowd, host, legion, mass, mob, multitude, press, rout, scrum, swarm

Rhymes with HORDE
board, chord, cord, cored, floored, ford, gourd, hoard, lord, oared, pored, sward, sword, ward

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »
Ford sucks there fore hordes do as well. Case closed.
JG 52

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
As soon as you up a flight with enough ords, fighter cover, and troops to actually take a base, you'll immediately be called a horde by someone.

If your taking far more than you need hell ya it's a horde.

Everyone knows my feelings on hordes. It's the only thing in this game I can't stand. HO's and ganging are lame, but there is a counter for those and so can be avoided. The horde on the other hand is is avoidable, but in most cases is the "only fight in town". Your either fighting against it, or stuck tagging along.

Nobody defends against a horde because it just isn't fun, even Rhino pointed out that it's better to avoid and flank them making an attack is better than fighting them  :rolleyes: The mission leaders have the control of the hordes in their hands all they have to do is use it. How many people up to defend a mission that comes in with some alt? 5-6 maybe. NOE's tend to bring more as those are looking for quick kills to pad their score. With those numbers defending if you come in with a 2.5 to 1 advantage thats 12-15 guys in the attacking force. With a bit of skill that should be enough don't you think?

The point is while it's a game with a clearly defined "end game" for some we are all PAYING to have fun playing the game. If large groups of people remove the chances or cuts back heavily the opportunities for fun for the rest of the population what is the end game then? People accuse me of telling others to "play my way" all the while forcing me to play there way. 

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2012, 05:24:42 PM »
I haven't palyed that long, only a couple of months. I really enjoy the MA arena and doing missions on the Bish side. One thing I see a lot of on the BBS is various compliants about the way people play (hordes, HOing, Campers, BnZ, etc). Basiclly when someone is bested (shot down) by a style they don't subscribe too, they claim some sort of "style" that is inferior to the way they play.
So about the Bish Hording compliant... What if the 40 Lancs or various bombers that are hordes, flew in perfect formation? What if the 50 p-51's were organzied into tight 4 ship flights and operated as a cohesive unit? Would it be a horde then? probably not
The fact is that most people lack the ability to fly in tight formation and join a mission that is loosely put together. It is hard enough to get people to join mission, let alone have them fly in an authentic manner. So whay not look at the "hordes" as a valid style of people who want to work together and lack the ability to fly together perfectly?
If the hordes are so bad why not find a way to defeat them? If 5 good pilots can down the 50 in the horde; do it and enjoy all the perks. Stop complaining about they limited ability of new players that "horde".

if ya don't care for the ma style of play, come try out fso's. or check out ava when someone's in there. they're both massive fun.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2012, 05:37:17 PM »
I hate hordes means the same thing to me as saying
"I need some form of validation after I feel like I lost"

It could also be seen as 'some sort of validation because I fear losing"

Play it how you want, but a lot of folks see upping against 15 high Mustangs in the middle of nowhere, as kind of pointless.  And many of us see being part of a raid of 15 Mustangs against an undefended base as pointless too.

It's your dime, but don't make being in the horde a noble cause please :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Pongo1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2012, 07:17:05 PM »
Interesting points by most everyone. I like fugitive's analysis of HOing as there is a counter for that behavior. I don't know how to avoid it and found myself getting annoyed with it. I upped a fighter and attempted to improve my non-existant ACM. I actually got a kill, then I was HOed by a Niki...
So do I complain about it? I thought about it, it did irritate me. What I need to do is learn how to avoid it or the counter for it. If I can't I might as well stop playing AH...
So if you aren't enjoying yourself anymore...look for some thing else. If you are a good stick and fight in an "honorable" way, teach others by example and make them want to copy your success by your positive attitude. Demanding people change only works if your have the authority/respect to do it. None of us have the authority... This means you have to lead by example and make us "want" to play like you.
Show me an alternative to hording that I can do at my skill level. Create a atomsphere that I want to be a part of and I will join you. Otherwise I will keep having fun the anyway I find in the game. Currently, this means I will join Chewie's and HOtard's missions repeatedly as I enjoy the team effort even it it is loosely organized.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2012, 07:55:52 AM »
It could also be seen as 'some sort of validation because I fear losing"

Play it how you want, but a lot of folks see upping against 15 high Mustangs in the middle of nowhere, as kind of pointless.  And many of us see being part of a raid of 15 Mustangs against an undefended base as pointless too.

It's your dime, but don't make being in the horde a noble cause please :)

That's actually a really good point.  When nobody defends it's boring for the attackers too. 
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
Interesting points by most everyone. I like fugitive's analysis of HOing as there is a counter for that behavior. I don't know how to avoid it and found myself getting annoyed with it. I upped a fighter and attempted to improve my non-existant ACM. I actually got a kill, then I was HOed by a Niki...
So do I complain about it? I thought about it, it did irritate me. What I need to do is learn how to avoid it or the counter for it. If I can't I might as well stop playing AH...
So if you aren't enjoying yourself anymore...look for some thing else. If you are a good stick and fight in an "honorable" way, teach others by example and make them want to copy your success by your positive attitude. Demanding people change only works if your have the authority/respect to do it. None of us have the authority... This means you have to lead by example and make us "want" to play like you.
Show me an alternative to hording that I can do at my skill level. Create a atomsphere that I want to be a part of and I will join you. Otherwise I will keep having fun the anyway I find in the game. Currently, this means I will join Chewie's and HOtard's missions repeatedly as I enjoy the team effort even it it is loosely organized.

If you can get under and around the hoer, he has put himself in a bad position at the merge. As long as you do not get shot, you will gain some more of an advantage in occupying the hoers 6.

Beyond the obvious advantage of the hoer shooting at the hoed, hoing usually results in a nose down position at the merge. generally speaking, being nose down at merge is a bad thing.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2012, 10:22:45 AM »
generally speaking, being nose down at merge is a bad thing.

I must be doing something wrong then... hmmmm    :neener:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2012, 10:27:34 AM »
I haven't palyed that long, only a couple of months. I really enjoy the MA arena and doing missions on the Bish side. One thing I see a lot of on the BBS is various compliants about the way people play (hordes, HOing, Campers, BnZ, etc). Basiclly when someone is bested (shot down) by a style they don't subscribe too, they claim some sort of "style" that is inferior to the way they play.
So about the Bish Hording compliant... What if the 40 Lancs or various bombers that are hordes, flew in perfect formation? What if the 50 p-51's were organzied into tight 4 ship flights and operated as a cohesive unit? Would it be a horde then? probably not
The fact is that most people lack the ability to fly in tight formation and join a mission that is loosely put together. It is hard enough to get people to join mission, let alone have them fly in an authentic manner. So whay not look at the "hordes" as a valid style of people who want to work together and lack the ability to fly together perfectly?
If the hordes are so bad why not find a way to defeat them? If 5 good pilots can down the 50 in the horde; do it and enjoy all the perks. Stop complaining about they limited ability of new players that "horde".

While I agree with your thought here, there's more to it than just mere flying in formation. If they did fly in an authentic manner, I would be willing to bet it would still be called hording. Once the target objective is arrived at, the tight formations would go away, at best, into 2 ship formations.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
That's actually a really good point.  When nobody defends it's boring for the attackers too. 
Since vTards often run 20 man Mustang missions where there is no bardar you must be bored a lot.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.