Author Topic: frustration  (Read 936 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
frustration
« on: September 04, 2012, 02:46:49 PM »
I am trying to use the mission editor and I followed the tutorial but I am having no results.  The editor seems to crash all the time. I have been making a mission of increasing simplicity, now I just want one flight to take off go out and come back.  When I run the viewer the planes taxi out to the T.O. segment and then the viewer goes blue.  A couple questions:

Is it possible to create and view a mission that does not return in order to just check the functionality of the viewer? EG lay down waypoint 1 waypoint 2 a little further down the runway way point 3 just off the end of the runway and 4 and 5 way points heading straight out. select waypoint 3 just off runway, select 'make take off segment'. Select waypoint 4 make segment cruise dest alt 1500 speed 160, select waypoint 5 make segment same as waypoint 4.  Add flight, set spawn point before taxi segment.  Highlight waypoint after take off, click 'run to selected in viewer'. I have tried this and it does not work.

In the tutorial it says to click the waypoint you have made for take off and create a landing segment, is this a typo? I assume it is

There are a bunch of lines that get generated that are confusing, I can see the segment/waypoint lines and I am guessing that some of the other lines are the calculated path of the flight and maybe an extension of the heading.  It is a bit gibberishy I did notice that my landing segments had radiused turns except for the first turn which showed only an acute angle, this was autogenerated. Does anyone know what the lines and there colors mean?

I am a little confused by the waypoint segment system. The waypoints are the arrow heads and the line connecting them is just the path to be segmentized so to speak?  It seems as though the segment is between the previous arrowhead and the arrowhead of the highlighted segment but on the waypoint tree the segment appears below the name of the waypoint suggesting that it takes place between the arrow head of the named waypoint and the next arrowhead down the list.  Would it be correct to say that the transition of something like a climb occurs such that the final altitude is at the waypoint?

Is there anything I can turn down to make the editor run any better?  It is extremely sluggish in zooming or panning and the crashing has driven me around the bend.

How do I reinstall the editor? do I have to reinstall the whole game?

If I am ever successful at making a mission run, how to I use it offline?  Do I build a res library and place it in offmis folder?

I have downloaded some of the staged missions some of which work, how would I open them in the editor to tinker with them and check editor functionality? Where are they? are they the mis.res files?

My computer is win7 and seems to run the game ok, 60fps with 1280 x1024 max texture 1024 the sliders a little left of center and nothing but bump map terrain checked in advance and disable clutter checked.

I'd like to make some missions but I can't even get past go.

thanks for any help
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:49:17 PM by pembquist »
Pies not kicks.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: frustration
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
Why this thread hasn't been stickied make me want to cry...

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,337676.0.html

or

Load a terrain in the custom arena and download one of the missions people have uploaded... Pick on that actually works and load it in your editor...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »

Load a terrain in the custom arena and download one of the missions people have uploaded... Pick on that actually works and load it in your editor...

I have run quiet storm offline but I cannot find the .mis file for it only a .res file. Where is it? Is it correct that the files that ahedmiss edits are .mis files and .res files are to setup the arena for the mission.

I followed your tutorial and got it working after a little hair pulling. It sEemed like when it made the take off segment it was malformed. The mission editor crashes at the end of mission running so I am trying it in offline.

The editor behaves strangely at times, clicking on waypoints in the file tree does not necessarily hi light them in green. It likes to crash on file save or after running mission or just whenever.  Doesn't want me to adjust the slider for run mission speed. Also if I type z into the name of flight box it toggles the zoom.

How does the dest alt box work in segment properties? It shows 2000 for all segments, is it only applicable to types climb and descend? Is the altitude in your examples just what ever the take off speed at full throttle will give you after covering the distance of the segment? 

I lowered the graphics settings in game to zero and changed max texture size to 128' should this make any difference?  It doesn't in my case, the editor crashes like a champ.

Pies not kicks.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
I have run quiet storm offline but I cannot find the .mis file for it only a .res file. Where is it? Is it correct that the files that ahedmiss edits are .mis files and .res files are to setup the arena for the mission.

I followed your tutorial and got it working after a little hair pulling. It sEemed like when it made the take off segment it was malformed. The mission editor crashes at the end of mission running so I am trying it in offline.

The editor behaves strangely at times, clicking on waypoints in the file tree does not necessarily hi light them in green. It likes to crash on file save or after running mission or just whenever.  Doesn't want me to adjust the slider for run mission speed. Also if I type z into the name of flight box it toggles the zoom.

How does the dest alt box work in segment properties? It shows 2000 for all segments, is it only applicable to types climb and descend? Is the altitude in your examples just what ever the take off speed at full throttle will give you after covering the distance of the segment? 

I lowered the graphics settings in game to zero and changed max texture size to 128' should this make any difference?  It doesn't in my case, the editor crashes like a champ.

1) Run it online in the custom arena or anywhere the terrain is loaded... When you go to "Staged Missions" and "Select Missions" highlight a missions and click the "Download button" it will be in your HTC folder "hopefully"

2) Whether it highlights green or not, if you select a waypoint, its still selected...

3) You have to set the altitude, when you are laying your segments to your pre-placed waypoints, it will always show the most recent alt from previous... YOU are the one who must give the segment "reasonable" target altitudes...

4) Yes it will make a difference, less of a load of course.

5) The more you play with things, the slower the program will go, and will likely crash... If you keep screwing with the slider, your lil planes will warp and tear.
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
The .mis file is not needed to run an offline mission.  If you're trying to modify a mission created by somebody else, using the mission editor, there are several reasons that it will fail.

1. The mission contains sound files that you do not have.
2. The mission contains images you do not have.

The mission may run without images, but will certainly crash without the proper sound files being in the correct location.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear