Author Topic: Boat work...  (Read 250 times)

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
Boat work...
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:45:58 PM »
I bought my Ranger 520 used. Its a 2001....I rushed them to get it ready so I could take it to Lake fork the same day. (Shouldnt do that by the way)...Anyway they cleaned it up and oit looked pretty good. So after 9 months I decided I'd like to get some of the oxidation out of it. I tried rubbing compound and really giving it a good cleaning and all. So I did some reading and was going to do it over the winter....when its not a 105 outside....So I was goofing off with it and did a very small area following some instructions I got from a friend and read on a boat site....this is what I've got done...Just the top cap as the sides look new....

Before

After

All in all I think it looks pretty good....NOW...If I could get some ideas how to do the fenders on the trailer....Id be happy as all get out!!!

Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
Re: Boat work...
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:04:29 PM »
Looks good!  Did ya wet sand it?
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:21:29 PM »
Looks good!  Did ya wet sand it?

Yeah...2000 grit sand paper and a 0000 steel wool while it was still wet...but that (steel wool) was very light. Sanded it twice total...by hand....wax and hand buffed it...then buffed it with a buffer and microfiber pad...

Offline homersipes

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 08:53:26 PM »
wow that looks good :aokwhen ya get done you can come do mine :D

all the grey is supposed to be red, tried just about every rubbing compound, the only thing I have found that works is 320 sand paper wet sanding, and working my way up to 1000 and finishing it off with a medium rubbing compound to polishing compound then waxing.  I have this side almost done.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:52 PM »
2000 grit sandpaper and 0000 steel wool