Author Topic: Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI  (Read 7012 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:34 AM »
I sometimes wonder if there is anything you can't do :)

I can't eat butterbeans :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 08:09:04 AM »
I like the XVI its a unique challenge in AH. no defensive guns, no rudder-turning from a gun position and if you're avoiding combat, you're doing it right! :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline ArcticKat

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »
I can't eat butterbeans :old:

I dunno...i suppose if you cook him long enough you could. :D
"That Fokker's a Messerschmitt!"

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »
I can intercept a mossie regardless of his altitude in yak9, ta152, spit XIV, Spit IX, P51d, p51b, all p47s, 190d-9, and a couple of F4U by climbing above and running him down in a shallow dive or simply by flying at my plane's best speed altitude.
Some of those aircraft aren't even as fast as the Mosquito Mk XVI, so no, you can't.

I know you are full of yourself, but lying doesn't help your image.

If you try intercepting in the F4U-1A, for example, and fly at your best altitude you will be thousands of feet below the Mosquito and only slightly faster.  Even if you do manage to match the X and Y coordinates with him what are you going to do?  Yell at him?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:20:05 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »
Aren't you the guy who said you can't be bothered to fly anywhere near 30,000 feet?

I did not specify the f4u1-a or f4u1-d.    

I said "a couple of the F4u".

You picked one of the slowest two.

Try the F4U1.

I routinely intercept planes faster than the 110g with it by using a proper interception strategy and pretending any plane I am intercepting is a B29.........which is why I run them down in slower planes.

I spend most of my time above 30,000 feet in aces high which is why I was the guy who found these two bugs.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:53:11 AM by icepac »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »
The Mosquito is faster than the B-29, fyi.

There is no way you will intercept a skilled Mossie that is hitting towns of bases.  If the Mossie is hitting the city and it is deep inside enemy territory you can intercept it in a number of aircraft, but even then you'd better have some speed to work with at 28,000ft.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »
I wish I had the amount of skill and time icepac has.  :joystick:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
 I chased a set of Mosquitos in a P-51D I saw while at about 25000 ft. I caught up to them fairly easy (about a sector) but the guy bailed on me before I got in shooting range. I did not get the proxy kill on him so I guess the joke was on me lol. I guess he figured I was going to get him anyway and he was going to lose his perks so why give me the kills. I get that. 

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
It took you five sectors to get to 25k in a K-4? What K-4 was that?

was using a 300mph climb rate trying to keep my eyes on him, you know...climbing straight up sounds great but second he's out of dar range its a mystery when people turn left or right :)
JG 52

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
I chased a set of Mosquitos in a P-51D I saw while at about 25000 ft. I caught up to them fairly easy (about a sector) but the guy bailed on me before I got in shooting range. I did not get the proxy kill on him so I guess the joke was on me lol. I guess he figured I was going to get him anyway and he was going to lose his perks so why give me the kills. I get that. 
He ought to have been higher to start with, but even limited like that he ought to have fought you.  The Mossie is more agile in the turn than the P-51D is and it is possible to stretch the fight out too long for the P-51.

Never never never give up.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 09:46:12 AM »
He ought to have been higher to start with, but even limited like that he ought to have fought you.  The Mossie is more agile in the turn than the P-51D is and it is possible to stretch the fight out too long for the P-51.

Never never never give up.
A P51D with over a half tank of fuel would take a lot of out lasting and a ton of fancy flying in a plane with no guns. The guy should have maybe tried but he would still lose two of his drones to me even if he got away in one plane. The way he did it I flew after him for 10 minutes and got nothing. It is called Scorched Earth Policy. I will burn it all and die before I give it to you.   

Offline tuton25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 09:46:33 AM »
I have done a little research and found that our aircraft are a little miss-named....
The mossie RB16 was a high altitude photo recon/bomber (the one we have)
The mossie FB6 was a mid altitude fighter/bomber (the one we have)
The mossie B6 was the ultra-low level bomber variant
The mossie F15 was a high altitude bomber intersepter
The mossie A18 was cannon armed variant
I seem to be using the wrong plane for the wrong job.....
so yes just leave it perked but now give me the B6 variant
><))))*> Da Fish is in Da Fight

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2012, 09:48:07 AM »
I have done a little research and found that our aircraft are a little miss-named....
The mossie RB16 was a high altitude photo recon/bomber (the one we have)
The mossie FB6 was a mid altitude fighter/bomber (the one we have)
The mossie B6 was the ultra-low level bomber variant
The mossie F15 was a high altitude bomber intersepter
The mossie A18 was cannon armed variant
I seem to be using the wrong plane for the wrong job.....
so yes just leave it perked but now give me the B6 variant

And?  :headscratch:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 10:24:39 AM »
tuton25,

No such thing as a Mosquito B.Mk VI. There was one planned as a bomber version of the FB.Mk VI but it never went further than paper. It would have used the same Merlin 25s as the FB.Mk VI had it been built. Mosquito B.Mk IVs were used on low altitude raids quite a few times, so that may be what you want.  The B.Mk IV would also not be perked in the LWA and perhaps not in the MWA and would be perked in the EWA.  The only misnaming HTC does on British aircraft is eliminating the letters in front of the "Mk" on some aircraft.

From memory, major wartime marks of the Mosquito:

Mosquito F.Mk II: Merlin 21s or 23s.  Mid altitude fighter, some later equipped with radar, no internal bombs
Mosquito B.Mk IV: Merlin 21s or 23s.  Bomber with capacity for four 500lb bombs internally.
Mosquito PR.Mk IV: Merlin 21s or 23s. Photo recon aircraft.
Mosquito FB.Mk VI: Merlin 21s, 23s or, mostly, 25s.  Low altitude fighter-bomber with capacity for two 500lb bombs internally and two under the wings or rockets.
Mosquito B.Mk IX: Merlin 70 series engines.  High altitude bomber with capacity for four 500lb bombs internally.
Mosquito NF.Mk XIII: Merlin 25s. Nightfighter with radar in nose, no .303s just four 20mm.
Mosquito B.Mk XVI: Merlin 72/73 or 76/77. High altitude bomber with capacity for a 4,000lb bomb and provision for a 500lb bomb under each wing.
Mosquito PR.Mk XVI: Merlin 72/73 or 76/77. High altitude photo recon aircraft.
Mosquito FB.Mk XVIII: Merlin 25s.  Fighter-bomber armed with a 57mm cannon and two or four .303s.
Mosquito NF.Mk XIX: Merlin 25s with nitrous oxide injection. Nightfighter with radar in a "bullnose" and armed with four 20mm cannons.
Mosquito NF.30: Merlin 76/77.  High altitude nightfighter with radar in a "bullnose" and armed with four 20mm cannons.  Provision for a 500lb bomb under each wing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 10:37:51 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
ever fly it at 25k? mmm yeah, tried intercepting one once in a 109k (very late war 109 btw) - 5 sectors it took me to get to 25k - he simply dove and was gone before I could even get to alt.

5 sectors? Come on man, we are smarter than that.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com