Author Topic: Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI  (Read 7304 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Unperk the Mosquito Mk. XVI
« Reply #180 on: September 13, 2012, 04:27:40 AM »
Anyway now I don't fly bombers anymore because HT decided to take that part of the game away.  There's no targets worth going after anymore so I fly them maybe once or twice a year.

You haven't noticed the fundamental strat changes???
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #181 on: September 13, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »
It would be devastating at heavily defended ports and/or vfields where the enemies tend to pack in...

If your timing was right, and you let one fly on a vbase right as a hangar popped...  (Image removed from quote.)

For those that want to stay and fight, the A20 would be > Mossixteen, but for those that want to generate the most rage possible, it'd be a shallow dive, a 4,000lb dump, and a kekeke all the way home.

yeah but the 4000lb is a one off thing its not really predictable or most folks would take the time to time the vh popping, and as you caught 8 x500lbs  lets you loiter more and you will pretty much  get 3 or 4 gv's if your aim is good.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: September 13, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »
yeah but the 4000lb is a one off thing its not really predictable or most folks would take the time to time the vh popping, and as you caught 8 x500lbs  lets you loiter more and you will pretty much  get 3 or 4 gv's if your aim is good.

Good point(s), and the A-20 has some guns too.

The cookie might be one trick pony, but it's a damned big pony.  It'd bring new meaning to the word bomb****, since you just have to drop it in the same grid sector as your target. 
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: September 13, 2012, 10:50:56 AM »
In suggesting removing perks on the Mossie bomber, I had never considered it's effect on low altitude "wash, rinse, repeat" missions against ground vehicles.

I had only been thinking about it's longer missions to bomb enemy fields or strats rather than bombing GV's in your town as it is under attack.

Maybe perks should stay.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: September 13, 2012, 08:59:45 PM »
You haven't noticed the fundamental strat changes???

No.  I heard about it but don't remember what it was I heard (or read) and I think I've only logged a few hours on-line since then.

Between work and the effective removal of fun in attack planes and bombers my time in game has been greatly reduced and it's doubtfull it will ever be close to what it was or that I'll even pick those aspects of the game back up again regardless of what HT does at this point.

I've been weened from the game and it's not that bad.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #185 on: September 14, 2012, 02:32:05 AM »
I just took a trio of Mossies to the strats and was pretty much untouchable, a 190 got to within 2.5k but it took him about 6 sectors.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #186 on: September 14, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
No.  I heard about it but don't remember what it was I heard (or read) and I think I've only logged a few hours on-line since then.

Between work and the effective removal of fun in attack planes and bombers my time in game has been greatly reduced and it's doubtfull it will ever be close to what it was or that I'll even pick those aspects of the game back up again regardless of what HT does at this point.

I've been weened from the game and it's not that bad.

You might be surprised, the new strat system is awesome... the single best change I have seen in the game anyway (in my short time here).

High altitude performers are used FAR more now (152s everywhere, lots of Jugs as well) and there have been more B-29s spotted in a day than in entire previous campaigns (source: http://dublinopinion.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dan-obrien-irish-economist.jpg)

You can affect the war effort in very tangible ways by successfully bombing the strats, and you can get good results even with high speed raiders.  A single AR-234, well piloted, can knock the enemy radar factory down 20% or so.  B-26's are also great with 250lb bombs.

So, it not only greatly enhanced gameplay options, but it also made strategic bombing useful, as well as brought a lot more variety of aircraft into play than you'd normally see in the LWMA.

Check out the .dt commands as well, they are the unsung hero here.

The HTC team absolutely smashed this one out of the park, no doubt about it.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #187 on: September 14, 2012, 11:47:10 PM »
Well, got to strats unintercepted again, got killed outright by flak, again.

This time I was at 31k, 350 mph +, turning and climbing.

Hmm. Eight times up, six times to city,three times killed by flak.

Am I just unlucky?
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: September 15, 2012, 02:23:56 AM »

Am I just unlucky?

Stop and think of all the times you have been in puffy ack and NOT taken damage.  In terms of the Mossi B Mk 16, you've been unlucky.  But remember, it doesn't matter how many times you blow up, it only matters if you take off again.  Right?   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #189 on: September 15, 2012, 06:01:10 AM »
Yeah, I guess.

Don't mind taking damage, just p*sses me off that the flak finds the pilot so often. Makes me wonder about how the pilot shape is modelled - I run 256k textures, if that has anything to do with it.

Just took a Mossie FB.VI to Bish strats. Actually put down more factory buildings, but then again I was only goinng after one of the outlying factories, not the city. Maybe I'll take 4x500s to the city next time, see if I do more damage than with the cookie.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #190 on: September 15, 2012, 06:06:34 AM »
Scherf, next time I see you on I'll take a trio of Mossies to the strat with you, hopefully all the puffy gets you  :devil . I went twice yesterday first in mossies second Arados, not a scratch from the poffy and I took the jets in at 15k.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2012, 06:08:39 AM »
Wilco, hope I'll bring you good luck.

Just call me "flak magnet."  :bhead

:airplane:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2012, 06:49:28 AM »

Am I just unlucky?

Yes, very much so.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2012, 09:23:04 AM »
Well I did two sorties to the strats last night, first was in a P47D40 - with 2,500lbs in ords.... Let me just suggest NEVER FLY BELOW 10K around strats... why? Meet Flak towers... Flak towers don't like you.

I made a dive for the City - I got my first bomb off when I started to climb away, I was PW already from puffy ack but tower ack knocked a wing tip off and killed me before I got back into the Puffy ack.

Second trip was in B-17s, I took a direct hit over the Strats at 18k, blew up one bomber, other then that I made 3 passes no problems, I did manage to shoot down two fighters in the process, one actually caught fire closing in on me from below from his own puffy.

JG 52

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #194 on: September 15, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
Am I just unlucky?

Yes, very unlucky as far as the Mossie and puffy ack goes.

Try throttling back next time; CV ack always seems to hit the fighters, but leave heavy bombers completely unscathed. Maybe if you fly at heavy bomber speed, the puffy will think you're just a B-24 or Lancaster, instead of a Mossie XVI  :D.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"