Author Topic: Message to the creators of Aces High II  (Read 5137 times)

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
Re: Message to the creators of Aces High II
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
Listen...

I just want some sheep, again.

That is all...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
Listen...

I just want some sheep, again.

That is all...

You didn't see them in the latest videos!?

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,339042.0.html

:noid
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 03:28:13 PM »
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 04:55:51 PM »
you honestly do not have a clue what you're talking about. you couldn't afford the computer hardware needed for what you're thinking htc should do with the graphics.

Please enlighten me oh great one? And how do you know what I can and can't afford? Why cant HTC do artwork like others? That's all I'm asking for. Better art work. The FM is already in place, just redo the artwork or hire someone who is capable of doing it. Our current designs are OK, but clearly dated. 

ahss27 by 06CTS-V, on Flickr

Offline macleod01

• Gold Member
      • http://www.71sqn.co.uk
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 06:22:41 PM »
Silver
As I posted earlier, Pyro (I believe it was him) has stated that he can do graphics up to that standard. Quite easily. That it is well within his capabilities.
However HT's policy is to keep the game playable for the majority of people, especially those who do not have super gaming rigs (I am one of these people). To do that, they have to make sacrifices and graphics is one of them. Have a search for the threads when the Beta graphics came out, the last major update. You will instantly see where the problem is. There are a lot of people playing this game on mediocre computers, who just struggle to play a great game with the best FM out there. If there are suddenly graphics of the calibre you posted, HT will lose a lot of customers. I certainly wouldn't be able to play.
The choice is NOT between FM and graphics. It is between Player Base and Graphics. If you have amazing graphics you will lose a large volume of the current player base, the ones who have been here and helped HT to get the company to where it is now. If you have adequete graphics (Without going onto the advanced tab) then they keep the players but have people whine about better graphics.
I'm curious if you are running on full graphics, with full textured water, bump maps and everything else that I have never seen due to my rig. If so, can you please post a screenie for the benifit of those who can't see it, but continue to play because we enjoy the game and comradeship over eye candy.
seeds have been laid...but they arent trees we're growing. we're growing organic grenades!- 321BAR
I'd have a better chance in running into a Dodo Bird in the middle of rush hour, walking down the I-5 with two hookers in tow before I see a useful post from glock89- Ack-Ack

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 06:31:08 PM »
Please enlighten me oh great one? And how do you know what I can and can't afford? Why cant HTC do artwork like others? That's all I'm asking for. Better art work. The FM is already in place, just redo the artwork or hire someone who is capable of doing it. Our current designs are OK, but clearly dated. 

Apparently your computer can handle Aces High, where my laptop in February would not handle it there are some people out there whose computers arn't new. I can imagine how many customers HTC would lose by upgrading the graphics to todays standards.

Consider the bell Curve as your answer, 20% have awesome bran new gaming rigs, 20% have computers unable to handle it - Aces High sits between around 50% which makes HTC's reason quite correct.

JG 52

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 06:40:04 PM »
You do realize that you can have both right? Graphics don't need to be balanced by gameplay, and better graphics doesn't mean gameplay will suffer. I don't understand why so many people defend our subpar graphics because of the flight model and game play. You can have both.  :bhead

You are not entirely correct.  Quality (from and aesthetic perspective) graphic design is (relatively) independent of hardware, and thus can be improved without hurting gameplay.  On the other hand, adding more graphical gimmicks which strain system resources can hurt gameplay.  True some can be made configurable, but not all. 

The appeal of AH and its predecessors was always flight model and MMP gameplay, with graphics a distant second.  Thus IMHO attempting to attract more players with graphical gimmicks may not pay off in the long run, as the type of person who values graphics first will always lose interest in favor of the latest graphical gimmicks appearing in competing games. 

MH

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 07:47:52 PM »
You are not entirely correct.  Quality (from and aesthetic perspective) graphic design is (relatively) independent of hardware, and thus can be improved without hurting gameplay.  On the other hand, adding more graphical gimmicks which strain system resources can hurt gameplay.  True some can be made configurable, but not all. 

The appeal of AH and its predecessors was always flight model and MMP gameplay, with graphics a distant second.  Thus IMHO attempting to attract more players with graphical gimmicks may not pay off in the long run, as the type of person who values graphics first will always lose interest in favor of the latest graphical gimmicks appearing in competing games. 

MH

But how many more people will you gain having an already great flight model and up to date graphics?

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
But how many more people will you gain having an already great flight model and up to date graphics?
not as many as they would lose...they already had a big whoopdeedoo back in '09 when they cranked up the graphics then. it would be worse if they did it today.

since you believe you could put a big enough system together to run the graphics you think you want (which that cockpit screenshot is only showing a nice dynamic lighting effect), out of curiosity, what graphics settings are you running now and what are your system hardware specs?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
Silver

I'm curious if you are running on full graphics, with full textured water, bump maps and everything else that I have never seen due to my rig. If so, can you please post a screenie for the benifit of those who can't see it, but continue to play because we enjoy the game and comradeship over eye candy.

Here: (Click on the pictures, then click more sizes and view the original size)
I usually fly with the environment updater two notches down because the frame rate hit on the reflection in the wing is not worth it.

ahss29J by 06CTS-V, on Flickr

See the reflection in the wing? I'd rather have a nicer looking cockpit but that may just be me :uhoh. I will say atleast HTC is making improvements but the art work is still years behind the curve.

ahss28J by 06CTS-V, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:09:32 PM by SilverZ06 »

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »
(which that cockpit screenshot is only showing a nice dynamic lighting effect),

Is the lighting really the only difference in the cockpits that you see?  :huh

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
Is the lighting really the only difference in the cockpits that you see?  :huh
well, that is what makes the first screenshot stand out...the gauges aren't better or worse. the reflections on the glass and the shadows are part of the dynamic lighting system...

are you running the hires pack and 2048 textures? probably no anti-aliasing either?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:19:55 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 08:20:49 PM »
well, that is what makes the first screenshot stand out...the gauges aren't better or worse. the reflections on the glass and the shadows are part of the dynamic lighting system...

are you running the hires pack and 2048 textures? probably no anti-aliasing either?

Hi res and 2048 textures, 1 notch of AA in game as Skuzzy says there is no need for more.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »
higher aa would smooth things out a bit more but with the added environment mapping and the frame rate hits that the shadows cause, not even a 4gb video card could take the load and maintain frame rates with maxed out graphics settings. here's the thing, you may (or may not) be able to afford a system with enough power to handle the eye candy you believe should be easy to program in, but you would be only 1 of a very small number of people playing aces high if htc cranked it up to what you are wanting. you see the problems people are having now with hardware that would have run ah very well in 2009, what do you think would happen if everyone who has bought a new system within the last 12 months suddenly finds they need to replace their systems again just to handle the increased load?
jarhed  

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »
You do realize that you can have both right? Graphics don't need to be balanced by gameplay, and better graphics doesn't mean gameplay will suffer. I don't understand why so many people defend our subpar graphics because of the flight model and game play. You can have both.  :bhead

Because they aren't sup-par. They actually look very realistic when turned up to full. I even mistook a screenshot someone posted for an actual photo before I took more than a casual glance at it.

I mean really, 99% of what we're missing is reflections from the glass when you're inside of the plane, some actual thickness or depth to the glass, and metal of the fuselage. Just general graphics on the older models.

Now think about something; here in AH, updating graphics on a single aircraft family can be an update on its own. Do we really want to sacrafice our fairly regular content update so we can stare at pretty pictures on our monitors? No, thats why we add them in when we can, and don't make them the priority.

Now, are the effects slightly sub-par? Depends. Some are about as realistic looking as what the competition puts out. And its several orders of magnitude more realistic looking than what World of Tanks and World of Warplanes uses.

But it doesn't give you the same push-button explosions, with shrapnel flying everywhere, which is what I suspect people want to see.

If you care about explosions and shrapnel to the point where you would rather have that than new game content, then you're playing Aces High for the wrong reasons, and are missing out on so much of what the game has to offer.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 09:31:02 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"