Author Topic: Wrongful Arrest - Plano, Texas  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
Wrongful Arrest - Plano, Texas
« on: September 21, 2012, 02:06:37 PM »
I used to play hockey on a team in Fort Worth where half the players were doctors and the other half were cops or firemen.  One guy used to boast all the time in the locker room about using his wand on the beat, beating up people.  On the ice he played the same way, knocking the piss out of people in a non-checking league.  He was a bully, plain and simple.  After a while I asked another cop on the team how they can stand working with this guy.  "He won't last long" was the response. 

I've got three more stories from personal experience like this.

While there are scores of benevolent officers that truly serve the community, the profession also attracts a certain type of person who earns the monikers hurled at police.

Today my home town of Plano, Texas is in the news because a mother was arrested for child abandonment and endangerment.
A neighbor called the police because they didn't like the two kids riding their scooters in the street in front of their own house.
The mother spent 18 hours in jail and the charges were eventually dropped after an eight month legal ordeal.

What I want to know is who called the police, and what was the officer's name that made the arrest decision.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
Re: Wrongful Arrest - Plano, Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 02:27:01 PM »
WOW Just WOW  :furious
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 02:38:23 PM »
thats terrible! :furious / commendable! :banana:

(depending on what actually happened ...)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
That's the story.

It was La Porte, Texas not Plano.  My mistake.  It makes no difference to the injustice.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »
alledged injustice ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:00:35 PM »
Here's some extended coverage.

And, the facts are the charges were dropped.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/19600642/mom-arrested-for-letting-kids-play-outside

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
ok so all we know is that the DA decided they didnt have enough evidence of a crime to prosecute.

unless we've heard all the statements given under oath from all parties, we cant really form an opinion on whether the officer/PD did anything wrong. the lady has given her side of the story to journalists, the PD dont get the same freedom to do this.

how about waiting for the evidence and judgement before reaching a verdict?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
ok so all we know is that the DA decided they didnt have enough evidence of a crime to prosecute.

unless we've heard all the statements given under oath from all parties, we cant really form an opinion on whether the officer/PD did anything wrong. the lady has given her side of the story to journalists, the PD dont get the same freedom to do this.

how about waiting for the evidence and judgement before reaching a verdict?
according to the one article the cops called the da's office before they arrested the woman and some dipstick at the da's office instructed them to carry out the arrest. i'm guessing the cops in that town are allowed to think on their own.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 03:59:54 PM »
In my experience the woman probably got nicked for gobbing off after being told repeatedly to calm down. Doubt the cops wated to be dealing with crap like this, but they nowadays have to be social workers and marriage counsellors as well
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 04:15:33 PM »
In my experience the woman probably got nicked for gobbing off after being told repeatedly to calm down. Doubt the cops wated to be dealing with crap like this, but they nowadays have to be social workers and marriage counsellors as well

You dont get "nicked" for child endangerment for mouthing off you'll get interference with investigation, or some such.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:18:06 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 04:31:54 PM »
You dont get "nicked" for child endangerment for mouthing off you'll get interference with investigation, or some such.

I'm not up on US law but I have been in the situation many times. usually results in employment of the 'ways and means act'. Normally in UK S5 Public Order or BOP
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
You might beat the rap but you can't beat the ride.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 04:51:24 PM »
Stalwart when did you live in Plano? I grew up there and graduated from Plano Sr High in 1977. I left Plano in 1978 when I joined the USAF and settled in East Texas when I got out.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
Stalwart when did you live in Plano? I grew up there and graduated from Plano Sr High in 1977. I left Plano in 1978 when I joined the USAF and settled in East Texas when I got out.

PSHS class of '87.  Congratulations on your class' state championship.  We got ours ten years after yours... right after the class of '86 got theirs.  Rah! Rah! Wildcats!~  hehe

Back on subject... The neighbor calling the police on the kids for playing outside is the problem.  I can't believe they made an arrest for child endangerment, even if the mom was not watching the kids play in the street on her block, which she claims she was.  If that had been the standard in my day, me and all my mates, and all our moms would have been serial criminals.  When we went out the back with our bikes, mom would holler "Be home before dark".  That was the standard.

I hope this lady wins her suit and humiliates her rotten neighbor, exposing her for what she is, a no-good busybody.  If she had a problem with the kids, why didn't she just walk across the street and speak to the mother?  No, instead she calls the cops.  She's not just mean spirited, she's a coward.  I hope she gets all the ridicule she deserves from the rest of the community.

Whoa... gotta take a breath.  Why am I so fuming mad over this?