Author Topic: Question for you android users  (Read 4154 times)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
Re: Question for you android users
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »
Flashlight lol. 

Flashlight app is great...fleshlight app is horrible. To rigid and makes a mess.... :bolt:

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 08:50:34 AM »
Be sure and download your malware too.  Apparently its a must for Android as well.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/10/15/fbi-issues-android-warning/?iid=SF_F_MPM

:cool:,
Wab

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:07:53 AM by AKWabbit »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
If you have AVG, it gives you a free app to install for tablets, and phones, I would check your virus scanner to see if they do as well.

JG 52

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
Be sure and download your malware too.  Apparently its a must for Android as well.

Wag

I posted about Lookout already it covers malware too. Scans everything before installing.

https://www.lookout.com/

It is available on Play Store.... (previously called Android Market)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 09:03:03 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 09:34:28 AM »
I use avast on my computers and got the app for my phone and tablet as well. Turns out it was perfect timing because I lost my phone this morning. Jumped on the avast website, locked the phone, turned on GPS tracking and went to find it!

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 06:32:02 PM »

Wab

"Virtually every version of iOS has been quickly jailbroken (that is, modified to allow installation of apps and hacks not authorized by Apple or the mobile carrier).

Jailbreaking is accomplished by exploiting security vulnerabilities in iOS. The same exploits used to jailbreak (an arguably legitimate hack) could just as easily be used to infect an iOS device with malware.
And what happens if you get malware on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? You wouldn't necessarily know it. Not all malware has big, flashy alerts like FakeAlert malware. Some is quiet and surreptitious like Flame.

And what's worse, you wouldn't be able to detect or remove iOS malware easily because Apple doesn't allow full-featured, real-time scanning anti-virus software in the iOS App Store."

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/06/29/apple-mobile-device-security/
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »
If you like to hike/bike, or as in my case spend time off road in the Jeep, my tracks is a great free app.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 12:35:57 AM »
"Virtually every version of iOS has been quickly jailbroken (that is, modified to allow installation of apps and hacks not authorized by Apple or the mobile carrier).

Jailbreaking is accomplished by exploiting security vulnerabilities in iOS. The same exploits used to jailbreak (an arguably legitimate hack) could just as easily be used to infect an iOS device with malware.
And what happens if you get malware on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? You wouldn't necessarily know it. Not all malware has big, flashy alerts like FakeAlert malware. Some is quiet and surreptitious like Flame.

And what's worse, you wouldn't be able to detect or remove iOS malware easily because Apple doesn't allow full-featured, real-time scanning anti-virus software in the iOS App Store."

http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2012/06/29/apple-mobile-device-security/

You can't download anything to iOS unless it's checked and verified by Apple, duh. As I said before a phone has to be totally locked down. Freedom + bank accounts are never a good combination. If you choose to jailbreak your phone and download crap from unreliable sources then by all means install an antivirus and have it eat 50% of your phones already poor processing power :)
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2012, 01:14:43 AM »
You can't download anything to iOS unless it's checked and verified by Apple, duh. As I said before a phone has to be totally locked down. Freedom + bank accounts are never a good combination. If you choose to jailbreak your phone and download crap from unreliable sources then by all means install an antivirus and have it eat 50% of your phones already poor processing power :)

I guess you missed this part entirely

"The same exploits used to jailbreak (an arguably legitimate hack) could just as easily be used to infect an iOS device with malware."

To add
First iOS malware hits App Store
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/07/06/first-ios-malware-hits-app-store/

And even more recently
Apple's iOS and Android are new favorite malware victims

Cybercriminals are working on more complex schemes to wage attacks on PCs, laptops, and smartphones. A new report shows that every single device that connects to the Internet is in danger.
 According to a new report by McAfee (PDF), Malware is multiplying at a faster pace now than any other time in the last four years. There has been a 1.5 million increase in malware over last quarter, along with growth of newer threats, including "ransomware" attacks, thumb drive corrupters, and botnets.

While Windows PCs remain the hardest hit, there's a growing trend of attacks on Apple's Mac devices and Android smartphones

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57506159-83/apples-ios-and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2012, 06:05:19 AM »
I guess you missed this part entirely

"The same exploits used to jailbreak (an arguably legitimate hack) could just as easily be used to infect an iOS device with malware."

To add
First iOS malware hits App Store
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/07/06/first-ios-malware-hits-app-store/

And even more recently
Apple's iOS and Android are new favorite malware victims

Cybercriminals are working on more complex schemes to wage attacks on PCs, laptops, and smartphones. A new report shows that every single device that connects to the Internet is in danger.
 According to a new report by McAfee (PDF), Malware is multiplying at a faster pace now than any other time in the last four years. There has been a 1.5 million increase in malware over last quarter, along with growth of newer threats, including "ransomware" attacks, thumb drive corrupters, and botnets.

While Windows PCs remain the hardest hit, there's a growing trend of attacks on Apple's Mac devices and Android smartphones

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57506159-83/apples-ios-and-android-are-new-favorite-malware-victims/

When you wipe out the saliva from the screen you may notice that Android (play) store has around 15% of applications removed regularly for containing malware (that is, after they started checking them - before that it was completely out of control). Typically they get downloaded in the order of thousands before detection. And this is only the official store, not the wild third party sources available for Android which contain _no safeguards whatsoever_. It is estimated that several thousands of Android users get infected every week.

For iOS there is 1 (one) known malware that slipped past the check - and even that was a very low profile program that most likely nobody even downloaded. In addition to that iOS6 contains a much higher level of control for application rights.

The writer of the Cnet article doesn't even know what operating system a Mac uses - he confuses iOS and OSX together. Or the fact that there is no flash support in iOS. And for you it seems that any article containing words 'apple' and 'bad' are worth posting :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:33:15 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
Some apps I have on my tablet are as follows...

Firefox for android

Angry Birds (all 3 versions)

I also have Eset for mobile devices

I can't remember what I have for my pictures but will post when I find out,

YouTube app

NewEgg app

And a couple more I can't remember.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:20 AM »
When you wipe out the saliva from the screen you may notice that Android (play) store has around 15% of applications removed regularly for containing malware (that is, after they started checking them - before that it was completely out of control). Typically they get downloaded in the order of thousands before detection. And this is only the official store, not the wild third party sources available for Android which contain _no safeguards whatsoever_. It is estimated that several thousands of Android users get infected every week.

For iOS there is 1 (one) known malware that slipped past the check - and even that was a very low profile program that most likely nobody even downloaded. In addition to that iOS6 contains a much higher level of control for application rights.

The writer of the Cnet article doesn't even know what operating system a Mac uses - he confuses iOS and OSX together. Or the fact that there is no flash support in iOS. And for you it seems that any article containing words 'apple' and 'bad' are worth posting :)

Apple's own detection system for the app store has had work arounds. Apple is good at ignoring faults in it's system. They seem to be able to will their users to do the same.

My daughter is wanting a new phone. She has one that runs android now. She wants the Galaxy S III. I stopped by to check one out last night. Looks like a nice phone with great features. She will get one this weekend.

Heck I may replace my HTC Inspire with one also. :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 09:47:29 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
I own a Toshiba Thrive 32gig tablet. The selling point, for me, was the availability of external ports.
I may be wrong, but the iPad doesn't offer external ports such as hdmi, USB, correct?
Not to forget the difference in price. My year old Thrive cost $475 off the shelf and the iPad was over $700.

Rooting is almost a given as there is bloatware on every brand.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2012, 11:17:33 AM »
Apple's own detection system for the app store has had work arounds. Apple is good at ignoring faults in it's system. They seem to be able to will their users to do the same.

My daughter is wanting a new phone. She has one that runs android now. She wants the Galaxy S III. I stopped by to check one out last night. Looks like a nice phone with great features. She will get one this weekend.

Heck I may replace my HTC Inspire with one also. :D

Heheh do as you wish. I wouldn't hold a phone account in the greatest mobile malware magnet known to man. My kids both have Android phones - but that's only because they have prepaid accounts. The most I can ever be ripped off of is around 20 bucks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2012, 01:38:31 PM »
Heheh do as you wish. I wouldn't hold a phone account in the greatest mobile malware magnet known to man. My kids both have Android phones - but that's only because they have prepaid accounts. The most I can ever be ripped off of is around 20 bucks.

isnt it in the best interest of companies that make security products to exaggerate how bad the situation is, in order to make you buy their product? 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.