Author Topic: Side Switch Time  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Side Switch Time
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2012, 02:51:28 PM »
actually good point. they are too paranoid to get everyone on one side. they'd think someone's spying for a country with 0 players.

Why isn't there simply a System Message announcing whenever someone switches sides or logs in on a side?

For example, "SYSTEM: Player JETSOM has switched to KNIGHTS". (Not to pick on you Ink, but it would be easy to look at that and think "Oh, Ink's switching to look for a good fight.")  Likewise, "SYSTEM: Player ABCDEF has logged in as Rook", etc.

I think this might be a nice feature.  Plus it might help appease those concerned with side-switching to "spy".  If you were Knight and saw "Player vABCDEF has switched to Knights" (or any known squad/side-loyal player, not to pick on the vGuys) those concerned about it may be more likely to keep an eye on who is controlling the "hidden CV" (for one example).  Generally speaking, I think players might be less inclined to switch for nefarious reasons when it is clearly announced every time they switch or log in.  It at least allows those concerned with such things to see who is joining/leaving their side.

It would also be nice to see when a squad-mate logs in, perhaps on Squad Channel only.

I doubt this would create in inordinate amount of irrelevant text in the buffer, compared to what is already there (especially all the banter on 200).  To cut down on messages for those with frequent disco issues, perhaps only announce it if they haven't logged in in the past hour or so.

Just a related idea I thought might be worth suggesting -- if some of you like it, I can start a thread on that subject.

:salute all

« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 02:53:14 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2012, 02:57:05 PM »
All of you are such wonderful boyscouts and deacons of your churchs that late at night you will always switch sides to balance fights for the good of the game play. Opposed to joining in with freinds as a group to dominate some unsuspecting poor group of clueless shleps. After all, group scalping of clueless shleps is hard to resist with freinds. Sorta like tossing back a few pints while watching your team stomp a rival all of you hate. During prime time the advantages of a group are balanced by the volume of players fighting against you in most cases.

This is the low end problem with social conduct based on dunbars number. In real life it is a valuble strength. In multiplayer games it destabalises game play when numbers are low causing some number of the scarce comodity of available players to become scarcer. People are smart enough to recognise the results of getting a scalping by a group of freinds versus an uncoordinated furball of newbies and average players. You will more often switch sides to be with freinds than any altruistic intentions towards the game's flow.

The obvious is true in the upper end of dunbars number when it's passed through and you have an arena of 300 or 400 players. Now you need groups of players to play together and be at odds with other groups of players to generate conflict. You need them to stay put and not form super groups like the old JSO with 300+ players dominating the total map from a single country.

Who cares? You cannot be expected to give a ratz hairy brown humpus when you are paying for an expectation of 24x7 fun advertised by the proprietor. But, you cannot expect HTC to kill subscriptions to make a subset of players happy either.

Complaining about the game rather than understanding Hitech's reason for his rules are the third most popular activity practiced by players of this game. The first is actualy playing the game and then secondly the resulting girly fights in this forum over who whized down who's back when they weren't looking.
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »

Why isn't there simply a System Message announcing whenever someone switches sides or logs in on a side?

For example, "SYSTEM: Player JETSOM has switched to KNIGHTS". (Not to pick on you Ink, but it would be easy to look at that and think "Oh, Ink's switching to look for a good fight.")  Likewise, "SYSTEM: Player ABCDEF has logged in as Rook", etc.

I think this might be a nice feature.  Plus it might help appease those concerned with side-switching to "spy".  If you were Knight and saw "Player vABCDEF has switched to Knights" (or any known squad/side-loyal player, not to pick on the vGuys) those concerned about it may be more likely to keep an eye on who is controlling the "hidden CV" (for one example).  Generally speaking, I think players might be less inclined to switch for nefarious reasons when it is clearly announced every time they switch or log in.  It at least allows those concerned with such things to see who is joining/leaving their side.

It would also be nice to see when a squad-mate logs in, perhaps on Squad Channel only.

I doubt this would create in inordinate amount of irrelevant text in the buffer, compared to what is already there (especially all the banter on 200).  To cut down on messages for those with frequent disco issues, perhaps only announce it if they haven't logged in in the past hour or so.

Just a related idea I thought might be worth suggesting -- if some of you like it, I can start a thread on that subject.

Paranoid much?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »

its cool...... and A very good idea :aok

the other night I was knight, before I knew it we were the biggest hoards all over the map....I said on green I am switchin....and when I went rook I said on green I switched to fight the hoards......most know me by now to know I don't give two craps for the war or where a CV is......wouldn't tell even if I knew where the CV is...which I pay no attention to...cant fly m KI from a CV :D :D

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2012, 12:58:22 PM »
Paranoid much?

Nope, I'm not bothered.

This suggestion is based only partially on those that are, but mostly because I thought it would be a nice feature.
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
Redbull,

You appear to be a poster child for why HTC no longer attempts to explain most of their reasons when it comes to controlling player behavior to keep the game healthy.

You don't give a ratz hairy bumpkus untill it's too late to matter. I doubt you or the minority yelling at HTC for this change really care what rational HTC would present for it's current decision.

It's never the minority of players who probably wouldn't affect the game. It's the trail they blaze by example which changes from the camels nose under the tent to the camel herd following in through the side.

This game is not full of boyscouts, chior boys, or church deacons. (Seagoon is the exception being a minister in real life.) Once HTC gives something, it's abused untill it screams, then it gets abused even more. Thats the nature of this kind of beast and HTC has had a long time playing beast master watching the beasts.

The only reason this dosen't qualify as the definition of insanity, is you guys take turns at it so no one of you is repeating the same thing "ad finitum". On the other hand, as a long standing herd of like minded camels trying to get under the edge of the same tent day after day........even a child would notice the lack of cloths.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 06:30:17 PM »
Redbull,

You appear to be a poster child for why HTC no longer attempts to explain most of their reasons when it comes to controlling player behavior to keep the game healthy.

You don't give a ratz hairy bumpkus untill it's too late to matter. I doubt you or the minority yelling at HTC for this change really care what rational HTC would present for it's current decision.

It's never the minority of players who probably wouldn't affect the game. It's the trail they blaze by example which changes from the camels nose under the tent to the camel herd following in through the side.

This game is not full of boyscouts, chior boys, or church deacons. (Seagoon is the exception being a minister in real life.) Once HTC gives something, it's abused untill it screams, then it gets abused even more. Thats the nature of this kind of beast and HTC has had a long time playing beast master watching the beasts.

The only reason this dosen't qualify as the definition of insanity, is you guys take turns at it so no one of you is repeating the same thing "ad finitum". On the other hand, as a long standing herd of like minded camels trying to get under the edge of the same tent day after day........even a child would notice the lack of cloths.

Why do you use double negatives, over complicate things, and make these odd assumptions to make your posts longer, etc? lol
I posted a single bloody .GIF man, calm yo tits!  :rofl (bloody? Damn I've been hanging around Dolby too much  :furious )

You're saying I don't care until it is too late? Well they changed the rule from 1 hour to 12 in what? May of 2011? I started playing in may of 2011, and only flew DA....I had no idea, and didn't even know about the BBS let alone any of this until early this year...sooo...yea....I apologize that I haven't been playing for a decade like some  :lol

:salute :salute
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous