Author Topic: Embryo Questions  (Read 934 times)

Offline Popeye44

• Zinc Member
Embryo Questions
« on: October 21, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »
Hi:
Not even a Newbie yet, just an embryo trying to get the Newbie stage.
Couple of questions if you don't mind: (Flying the P51D)
1. Probably bought the wrong joystick (Logitech 3D Pro). I mapped some buttons but they show up in buttons that I didn't use? Like I put Combat Trim in 10 and it shows up in 6?
2. Tried to map Gear Up/Down but I can't find which button it's in, nor can I see the consol to see their status?
3. I can now start the engine and use the trottle to get air borne, and know what the warning noises are. I even shot down a couple of planes. But for the life of me I can't land? I keep turning myself into aluminum farm!

Appreciate any help you can provid. BTW about 40 years ago I was comissioned in Pensacola and was a NFO (None Flying Object) F-14 wantabe like Goose in "Top Gun). Didn't make it...long story. Went Black shoe and did 26 years. 17 years of which was sea duty and I spent a lot of hours on Tin Cans plane guarding CV's.

So  :salute

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: Embryo Questions
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:13:44 PM »
I'm not familiar with the joystick you bought.  Did you do the mapping in game or in the software that came with the joystick?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
Do the mapping in game. On my Logitech Pro, I found the buttons were all reversed. I think Logitech has a quality control problem. You didn't say where you were trying to learn to fly. Offline? The Training Arena? I fly in the Training Arena almost everyday. I would be happy to help a Tin Can sailor. My father was a WWII combat veteran on a Fletcher class.

Suggestion: P51 is not the easiest plane to learn on. I would pick something that will take off and land easier. Maybe a P-38, make sure you go light on the fuel at first: 50% no bombs or rockets. Just practice landing it. Get it below 150, drop the gear and give it two clicks of flaps. Remember to fly it in, nice gradual glide slope. Pull back on the stick slowly.... and anticipate the up bounce Before landing from ground effect. You have to just wait for the ground effect to bleed off and let the plane settle in through it.

If I am not in, Deadstick will be very willing to help you out. The official trainers almost all fly at night.
Tex

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 12:13:33 AM »
Hi popeye, welcome to the unfriendly  skies of AH.   :)

I would try mapping the joystick axis and buttons directly in AH rather than thelogitech software,  there's instructions here.

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/controllers/controllers.htm

If memory serves, there aren't  seperate, descreet  commands for gear up and down, it's just a toggle command "G" is the default.
Most planes have some sort of indicator inthe cockpit to tell you whether the gear is up or down although it varies a bit from plane to plane. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Popeye44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:12:06 AM »
Thanks Guys:

I have a 0730 tee time, but will try your suggestions later today.

:cheers:

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 08:56:55 AM »
Hey Popeye44: Welcome!

I use the same joystick you bought, and it works very well for me. I published a series of very basic video clips for newbies awhile back (used them to train a Boy Scout troop). I hope they are useful for you, and among other things for beginners, they show EXACTLY how I map my Logitech 3dPro joysticks for use in Aces High. Take a look here:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Training/AcesHighTrainingByPeabodyPage01Full.htm

The first few clips start out VERY basic. You might want to skip to the second page by clicking on the prominent "Next: Making your computer act like an airplane" link, which will take you directly to the clips that I think will be most relevant to your questions.

I hope this helps!
 :salute

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
I am a Dodo not an Upperclassman
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:50:52 PM »
Like everyone told me my first day...  Welcome to your new addiction!

The Training Arena is the best place to start. Almost anyone in there will be willing to help as best they can.

However, the http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aces_High_Training_Corps is with whom you need to seek out time with.

Best advice I can think of for someone with your previous skill set would be:

1.)  Start searching the forums with the "Search Option" (top right hand is where it is located on the webpage). Search for topics and then read until your eyes bleed. Read the whole post on a topic through... A lot of the better information sometimes comes along as post from others adding to the original post.

2.) Search YouTube for the same thing as above. Topics on the forums usually have links to the video. ALOT of videos are on YouTube that just can not be found through the AcesHigh forums.

3.) http://books.google.com/books?id=hBxBdKr0beYC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
This book is the Bible, memorize it cover to cover.

4.) http://www.av8n.com/how/
Another great resource.

And the Best for last...

5.) http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Aircraft_of_Aces_High_II

That is the airplane database for AcesHigh(little out of date but not enough to make a difference)

Most everything an be answered from the airplane database about airframes, power plants, climb & speed charts ect...

In my humble exp... The more time you spend in the TA the less you will feel like a dodo in the MA.

Godspeed and Happy Hunting!    :salute

:airplane:~<deadstik
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 01:37:15 PM by deadstikmac »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 03:41:19 PM »
When you program a button in Aces High, after you open "map controllers" on the clipboard, you can just push the button you want to program and a menu with the available commands should pop up. You don't need to know the actual button number. The full instructions are here. http://www.hitechcreations.com/Help-Section/Getting-Started/aces-high-help-start.html

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »
Thanks Guys:

I have a 0730 tee time, but will try your suggestions later today.

:cheers:

id rather golf than play this game :)
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 06:56:29 PM »
Hi:
Not even a Newbie yet, just an embryo trying to get the Newbie stage.
Couple of questions if you don't mind: (Flying the P51D)
1. Probably bought the wrong joystick (Logitech 3D Pro). I mapped some buttons but they show up in buttons that I didn't use? Like I put Combat Trim in 10 and it shows up in 6?
2. Tried to map Gear Up/Down but I can't find which button it's in, nor can I see the consol to see their status?
3. I can now start the engine and use the trottle to get air borne, and know what the warning noises are. I even shot down a couple of planes. But for the life of me I can't land? I keep turning myself into aluminum farm!

Appreciate any help you can provid. BTW about 40 years ago I was comissioned in Pensacola and was a NFO (None Flying Object) F-14 wantabe like Goose in "Top Gun). Didn't make it...long story. Went Black shoe and did 26 years. 17 years of which was sea duty and I spent a lot of hours on Tin Cans plane guarding CV's.

So  :salute

1 and 2: I had similar problems with my logitec at first.  As others have suggested, disable the software that came with it and assign the buttons via the ingame controller options menu.  Even tehre, I recall the number physicly printed on/next to the button is not actually the "button number".  It takes a little trial and error, but eventualy you figure out your number-5 is actualy button number-7 to teh game or something similar, and from there you should be able to figure it out and get it settup.  The only real negative to my joystick (same as yours) is about half those buttons on the base don't work anymore for me, so I recommend familiarising yourelf with the important keyboard commands you'll need as sometimes it's good/necessary to know.

If you want I can gladly share my joystick's profile/settup with you if it helps, and I'll translate for you that ButtonX is acually Button5, although it may differ slighly with yours (logitec's final assembly QA issues).

3. Hop in the TA (Training Arena) when you're ready, already many have offered to help you there.  This is a harder question to properly answer and work with you through than it is to ask, but first and foremost you should get your settup compfy and working for you.  Once someone works with you and talks you through it, it's like riding a bike, you'll run with it once we get your training wheels off.  Those tryign to help you can only speculate that you're maybe flying it into the ground in one of a dozen ways rather than ____ (IE: dropping flaps and using your throttle to control the rate of your decent).

Good luck, welcome to Aces High!  (and please let us know when you do your first successful cartoon carrier landing  :aok )
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Popeye44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 10:37:20 AM »
Thanks again for all replies.

Special thanks to BBosen for the video's they helped a lot.

Changed planes to the P-38 and now my take offs = my landings! Although I do suffer from white knuckels...

Couple of key board/mapping questions:
1. Trim controls? These are used for long flights?
2. View modes?
3. What does "weap" mean?

And lastly, I bought headset to talk but when it's enabled the video starts jumping? And, how do you test it?

Trying my best with golf three times a week, fishing, and "Honey Do's."

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:17 PM »
The experts (trainers) can answer your questions better than I can. But I'll take a quick stab at it:

1. Trim controls? These are used for long flights?
2. View modes?
3. What does "weap" mean?

1. Trim can be used for long flights but I find that rarely necessary. I leave the combat trim on  and use autopilot all the time in long flights. The elevator trim: "k" is used to save your life if you are in a dive that has resulted in compression. Very critical to know in any P38 other than the L model. The L model has dive brakes (shift C) that control the dive so you wont enter uncontrolled compression.

2.  View modes: I'll let the experts discuss this in detail. You Must get your view modes set up. Someone needs to spend time with you in the TA running you through the views. Dont make the mistake I made and only use the basic 8. You have to learn to use the "up" views as well if you want to survive combat.

3. Weap .... I assume you mean "wep." It means "war emergency power." In WWII most Allied and german fighters used water injection to add horse power when extra power was critical. It didn't last long. After all, most fighers couldn't carry a 50 gallon tank of water along. This is one of the things in the game that does not work the same as in real life. In the game, your wep stops working at some point after your engines temperature reading enters the red zone. The time factor varies widely depending on the plane. Japanese zeros (A6M) and certain early fighters did not have it. I believe the Russians were late to add it as well.

Correction: British and Commonwealth aircraft increased power by increasing the supercharger boost pressure. Similar effect to the water injection.

Experts: jump in here.
Tex
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 12:40:42 PM by texasfighter »

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Popeye44

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 02:05:08 PM »
I just noticed that when the headset driver is enabled the frame rate really slows down when making a landing, were talking 2 or 3. That's when it starts jumping around. Have no idea what it is, but doesn't sound good?

:joystick:

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
What's the chance you can Skype or call me I live in Tampa. It's so much faster for me too spend ten min on the phone than three days posting on the forums. LoL

:old:

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »
I just noticed that when the headset driver is enabled the frame rate really slows down when making a landing, were talking 2 or 3. That's when it starts jumping around. Have no idea what it is, but doesn't sound good?

:joystick:

Popeye,  It could be many things causing this problem and with out knowing the specs of the system you're using it would be guess work to answer them.

What you can do is email a copy of your dxdiag to support at hightechcreations dot com. If you're not sure how to do that,go to start and select "run" in the dialog box type dxdiag and then you will see the window with the imformation.

Copy that to the email and give a brief note on the exact problem,low frame rate or whatever your issue might be and then Skuzzy can point you in the proper direction to help solve the issues you may be having.

If you can,I'm online most evenings between 9pm and 11pm est in the TA,I'd be glad to help you and answer any question you may have.