Author Topic: Road/Track Segments Not Appearing  (Read 879 times)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
Road/Track Segments Not Appearing
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:33:00 PM »
I'm starting to work on my MA map again, and am adding train tracks for the strat supplies. Sometimes, a segment of track won't show and nothing I do makes it appear. I tried leveling the terrain under the tracks and even tried a whole new track object and it still is missing a section. Sometimes it's at a curve and sometimes it's a straight section.

I reloaded the terrain and to my surprise it fixed one track but not another. When I build it and load it offline, the train follows the track even when it's not visible. It's driving my nuts, because I don't want to make a map with aberrations like this.

:headscratch:
 :bhead
 :cry

**EDIT**

I went into "Low Detail" and "Wire Frame" and noticed that the missing track segment is in a poly that is completely empty...not even any clutter is in there. It's the same for other sections of track that are missing. So I re-routed the track to avoid the empty poly and now it shows just fine.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:21:07 PM by ImADot »
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Road/Track Segments Not Appearing
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 08:33:49 PM »
Look for a speck of water, that will do what you describe.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:36:43 PM »
Ok, I'll look for specks of water.

Now though, when I look in the editor, the whole track looks fine. When I build it and look around in-game offline, some track sections are drawn a mile away from where it's supposed to be.  *Sigh*
My Current Rig:

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »
So I figured out part of it. There are polys with no clutter, which means no road/track drawn on them either. I'm not sure what texture was on them, I use several and blend some for better transitions (like from rock to rock/rockgrass to rockgrass/grass to grass). I painted one clutter-less poly with the standard rockgrass texture, saved and then reopened the terrain. There is now clutter and the missing track segment is back.

:banana:
My Current Rig:

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2012, 06:30:15 AM »
No clutter or road shapes will appear in the game within a one mile square when that square has even the smallest dot of water in it. This also occurs if there is water not in the square, but touching one of the square's edges. You can use this "feature" to create clutter-free kill zones for GVs, which is something I did in my MA's tank town area.

Also it used to be the case that any roads/railways built on the same square as a city strat tile would disappear in-game but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »
There was no water anywhere as I started with a completely white waterd.bmp. As I said, after painting the tile with a different texture than what I had, fixed the issue. Yes, there is still a border around the city-strat where no clutter or road will show. I stop my roads just on the edge so you can see the depot and then I increase the radius if needed to allow it to supply the one nearest strat.

If you look at the screenshot I posted, the empty poly is one little triangle in the corner of the 1-mile terrain square. And if you look close, that same exact triangle is empty in three other squares, which leads me to believe there is a texture-mixing combo that causes this issue.
My Current Rig: