Author Topic: What to do about the P-51D scourge?  (Read 6103 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: What to do about the P-51D scourge?
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2012, 11:28:27 PM »
Tonight in MidWar it was intersting without the late war monsters. Reminded me of years ago in this game or AW before the late war monsters around AW3. Yes the P51B could run away along with the Typhoon tonight. But, most everyone stayed and fought because the general matchups were similare enough and the fast bomb truck was the B26. The rooks had enough players to hoard the knights and bish but, becasue of the lack of massable single engined bomb trucks like in the LWMA, took forever, ultimatly using bomber numbers to take feilds.

The GV fights were fun and pretty even without the late war GV uber tanks. Until a spawn got firmly camped, quite a few uppers got mobile and gave as good as they were getting.

It was fun watching skill, rather than WEP and speed dictate fights. HOing was at a minimum except from what I could see by P51B pilots. That could have been due more to the higher demands on shooting skill due to 4 - .50cal than any lack of general ability to fly the P51B. Being over capped by numbers was not as hard to up into and fight back as in the LWMA. Reminded me of how we fought in the MA back around AH1. Without the G14 and K4 only a real 109 expertin lasted very long in furballs. You couldn't help but see the superior 109 ability as lone G6 pilots forced overshoots while out manuvering multiple opponents.

A lot less complaints about running away, hoarding, or players avoiding fighting.

It might help game play in the LWMA to either perk 1000lb ord for the P51D or change it to it's real June 44 ETO performance specification of 72Hg and 150 octane then perk it.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »
Speed still is the key to survival, like it has been since 1914.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2012, 03:49:51 AM »

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2012, 07:46:36 AM »

Till you come across someone who knows how to use you speed against you.

E management is far more important
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:41 AM »
I'd like to see 1000 pounders perked for all fighter aircraft that can carry more than one. Right now 51s are used far too often as a replacement for bombers. You can't perk just the 51s load out. All or none.

No perk cost for the fighter itself is needed.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2012, 10:16:16 AM »
I'd like to see each plane's ENY be updated based off the loadout that is selected.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2012, 10:43:12 AM »
1K bombs make small and medium bombers useless.

I'll take the blame for the P51D issue  :angel:
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2012, 11:37:37 AM »
51's are for the most part very easy to kill, on rare occasions you will find someone that is very good in one....even then they are just living a bit longer is all.

here is a film of me fighting 5 51's and 1 spit I am not sure if this shows how easy the 51's are to kill/avoid their HO passes ....or how awesome the 16 is :headscratch:

http://www.mediafire.com/?evbm8mue3bobgja

The only thing this proves is how awesome you really are, INK.
++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2012, 12:44:09 PM »
You aren't going to get the most popular North American aircraft of the war perked, just isn't going to happen.

Their speed might make them hard to catch, but if you have even slight situational awareness you can avoid 80% of the people who fly them relatively easily.
Ripley

4th Fighter Group "Debden Eagles"

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2012, 12:59:13 PM »
The 51 does not suck at stall fighting. It is very maneuverable ( in the right hands ). Not to many people take the time to learn the plane. They just nose down and run. My advise would be FLY A FASTER PLANE. LA7 is faster below 10k as is the dora and k4 and the tempist. i believe at some alts the typhoon is as well.

I'm not going to call you a liar, as I am sure you have much more time in the 51D than i do, but in my experiences getting the 51 into a turning fight is only a good idea until you drop below 250mph, at which point your choices are to extend away to reposition and gain some lost speed or to succumb to whatever plane you are trying to turn with.

If you can prove me wrong I would love for you to show me some pointers :)   :aok
Ripley

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2012, 01:14:47 PM »
You aren't going to get the most popular North American aircraft of the war perked, just isn't going to happen.
Once again, if you want to debate with somebody on a subject it is best to actually address the points they are making rather than making up new ones and pretending that you are debating the other person.

Nobody is suggesting we take the P-51D in AH and perk it.  It is a strawman argument that you're arguing against.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
Once again, if you want to debate with somebody on a subject it is best to actually address the points they are making rather than making up new ones and pretending that you are debating the other person.

Nobody is suggesting we take the P-51D in AH and perk it.  It is a strawman argument that you're arguing against.

Apologies, I was addressing your OP and did so before I realized there were 7 pages to this 48hr-old thread.
After reading most of the rest of the posts here, Anything I could say has pretty much already been said so I'll just add my own .02 cents.

The 51D doesnt need to be perked, it doesnt need an ENY increase/decrease, its fine the way it is. I could understand perking or adding eny value to fighters carrying 1000lb ords, but that wouldn't be specific to the 51 and thus doesnt pertain to this thread really.

The 51 is meant to be a behemoth, it was arguably the U.S.'s best long range fighter/attack craft. The fact that it's popular in AH shouldn't be a surprise. The fact that many of these people pick and run with it shouldnt be a surprise either, it's the perfect plane for it and really is what the plane was built to do, in a nutshell. Yeah, it's annoying. To me, its disgusting because it gives this plane and the pilots who fly it skillfully (or at least try to) a bad name. I and a wingman was recently in an engagement with 3 cons over one of their bases. After we shot all three of them down at least once a piece in a low flying DOGFIGHT, I noticed my secondary cannons were out of ammo and I had virtually no fuel, so we both made a run for home. The three we shot down had all re-upped and wanted more, and what happened? We caught flak for 'runstanging home with our tails between our legs', in so many words.

Oh and while I'm on the subject of speed: Sorry but a plane being able to outrun you isn't enough of a reason to perk it in my eyes. We all know thats the only reason why 80% of the pony pilots actually fly it, and why more than half of the people in here actually complain about it.

And as far as ords go, perking 1000lb bombs on all fighters may be fun, would allow for more bomber formations to shoot at when I'm bored. Im in  :aok

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:00:02 PM by Ripley »
Ripley

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2012, 01:57:34 PM »
double post.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 01:59:11 PM by Ripley »
Ripley

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
I'm not going to call you a liar, as I am sure you have much more time in the 51D than i do, but in my experiences getting the 51 into a turning fight is only a good idea until you drop below 250mph, at which point your choices are to extend away to reposition and gain some lost speed or to succumb to whatever plane you are trying to turn with.

If you can prove me wrong I would love for you to show me some pointers :)   :aok

I fly the K4 90% of the time. For the very reason that i got tired of pony's running. I do fly the pony often but i can't aim the thing. But from my experiences fighting against them and flying them i can say this. Throttle control and flaps with a steady hand and 200 or 300 feet of alt to gain E. Avoid the vertical fight. A lot of practice stall fighting the thing is the key as with any other plane. ACM wins the fight. The plane and it's ability's are just the tool  :salute

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2012, 02:07:35 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh SQUAT !  :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher