Author Topic: What to do about the P-51D scourge?  (Read 6098 times)

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
Re: What to do about the P-51D scourge?
« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2012, 02:12:23 PM »
I fly the K4 90% of the time. For the very reason that i got tired of pony's running. I do fly the pony often but i can't aim the thing. But from my experiences fighting against them and flying them i can say this. Throttle control and flaps with a steady hand and 200 or 300 feet of alt to gain E. Avoid the vertical fight. A lot of practice stall fighting the thing is the key as with any other plane. ACM wins the fight. The plane and it's ability's are just the tool  :salute

Sounds about right, just need to practice it a little more, thanks!

When you get back into the game I'll have to throw a pm your way so we can have some DA fights  :salute
Ripley

4th Fighter Group "Debden Eagles"

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
Sounds about right, just need to practice it a little more, thanks!

When you get back into the game I'll have to throw a pm your way so we can have some DA fights  :salute

I would like that. I have been gone for a few months  :salute

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2012, 02:24:29 PM »
Apologies, I was addressing your OP and did so before I realized there were 7 pages to this 48hr-old thread.
Nowhere in my OP did I suggest perking the P-51D, so no, you weren't addressing my OP.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »
Nowhere in my OP did I suggest perking the P-51D, so no, you weren't addressing my OP.

Okay, so I misread. you said the word "perk" in some form or another a good half-dozen times in your post and my brain apparently misread one of your statements.
Ripley

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2012, 02:56:07 PM »
Okay, so I misread. you said the word "perk" in some form or another a good half-dozen times in your post and my brain apparently misread one of your statements.
Yeah, I think we can both heartily agree that perking the P-51D would be a very bad idea.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2012, 03:01:37 PM »
The Dora does really well against single ponies or a pair of them.
("im dropping your radar then running home, you cant catch me, neener...   errr....  how can a dora outturn a pony, you freakin haxxor, whaaa!!")

Against the mass pony-missions the only thing what can be done is a well-placed 262.

Problem solved. Perks in pocket.
AoM
City of ice

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2012, 03:14:09 PM »
I'm not going to call you a liar, as I am sure you have much more time in the 51D than i do, but in my experiences getting the 51 into a turning fight is only a good idea until you drop below 250mph, at which point your choices are to extend away to reposition and gain some lost speed or to succumb to whatever plane you are trying to turn with.

If you can prove me wrong I would love for you to show me some pointers :)   :aok

if the other guy is a decent player, you have 2 turns to kill him at stall speed.  on the 3rd turn he's gonna get behind you and you are dead.  that is my experience with the pony.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »
I talked about perking the P51D.

Even if you make it's eny 0, it will still be over used in the manner you opined with. Even if you perk the ord I doubt the perk will be enough to impede it's over use as a hoarding super fast bomb truck. To impede the use of 1000lb bombs the ord perk would have to become a defacto perk on the P51D itself. At which point stop stacking angels on a pin head and make the P51D worthy of perking and perk it. It was introduced into the ETO at 72in MAP. We all fight with WEP on as "Combat Speed" for the most part.

Otherwise you will not change player behavior where the P51D is concerned. It's the jack of all trades, get out of jail free with your skin plane of choice in the LWMA. It's not about ENY, perks or kills landed. It's about how safe it makes an average player feel and his chances of getting away in one piece.

The usage charts for it validate the 80\20 rule. The majority of players are using it for safety and not "Fighting". Only a minority of players are concerned about the quality of the "Fighting".  And that minority tends to be the majority in these forums pulling their collective hair out over the 80 percenter's fixation on wanting to be able to runaway really really fast when things go bad during the "Fighting".

Or complain about the P51D's over use.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
The only thing this proves is how awesome you really are, INK.

:rofl

I don't know about that, all I see is my horrible aim....I think it shows that the 51 is far from a "scourge" yup it is over used....but imagine if all the ones in 51's were in 16's..... :O a far more dangerous plane then the 51.

now of course I am not talking about bombing anything, that is a different convo entirely.

I say fly what ever the hell you want and let others do the same..... 

Offline Ripley

• Copper Member
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2012, 05:27:19 PM »
if the other guy is a decent player, you have 2 turns to kill him at stall speed.  on the 3rd turn he's gonna get behind you and you are dead.  that is my experience with the pony.

semp

I'd say that sounds about right  :aok
Ripley

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2012, 05:40:05 PM »
But if you don't keep turnfighting past the second turn, and take your cartoon death with cartoon honor, then you are just a picker and a runner!   :rofl  :bolt:

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2012, 05:42:57 PM »
We sound like players in some kind of Sword & Sorcery Fantasy game with orks and trolls and dragons. We even have scourges of the land to oppose or kvetch about.

So how many scourges in the past 6 or 8 years have we survived or Hitech tweeked into a whimper.......

Nikki UFO's
CHog HO invasions
Suicide porkers
Lancstuka Kamikaze
110 NOE HO raids
NOE steam rollers
262 griefers of NOE raiders
Hoards avoiding each other
Spawn Camping
JSO and ENY
Lanstucka spawn camper carpet rolling
Warp 12 La7 HO and runners
Kill and Capture Fields by number AH1 era towns
Art of the HO
Spit16 uber turners
K4 uber WEP torquers
IL2 F3 Super Furballers
vTard Hit and Runaway enMass Rabid Gerbil raids
Hide the CV
Invasion of the Brewster Impossible Dream Snatchers
Invicible Iron Railgun Spawn Camping
GV hunting by Brail
Hidden Wirbel OOpsies
M3 ACK resupply greifers
P51D Scourge of BombTrucking and HOaRunningAwaying

And we actualy find time to fight each other in our frantic search for the slightest exploit to avoid fighting each other.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
Hmmm, only one I remember was the F4U-1C scourge.

Well, other than the one day Me262 scourges that happen occasionally when it is accidentally unperked.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
I say fly what ever the hell you want and let others do the same..... 

I agree with what you are saying, but this is not really about limiting what people fly.  It's about how they choose to use their ords.  Karnak clarifies this several posts into this thread with the idea of perking bomb loadouts (not the plane), because of how the P-51 is abused as a high-speed bomb delivery vehicle, and in many cases a suicide one.  

Yes, everyone in the LWMA should be able to fly the plane of their choice.  But lifting a fighter to go fight is one thing, whereas taking heavy ponies to go crash into a CV, v-Base or fighter hangers, has a much greater impact on how other people get to play the game.  The ability to have that kind of impact on the game should come with a cost, especially for failure (not landing) and that is, perk points.

By making those load-outs which have a high impact on the game cost perk points (tied into the ENY of the plane) you may see fewer suicide jabo runs, especially using low ENY planes like the Pony-D.

A cost for premium ord load-outs could extend to any AC, and might also be an effective method for cutting down on the ridiculous Lanc-stuka and low-alt suicide carpet-bombing runs many players make over and over, regardless of their dying every time.

:salute

Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2012, 06:19:11 PM »
Instead of perking the 1,000 lb bombs on fighters, perhaps they could simply be eliminated as a choice in the hangar.
Sure they were "used in teh war" but this is a game and hordes of super fast p-51 bombers flattening everything is lame.
Make it so only bombers can carry bombs bigger than 250 lbs and let them do the heavy smashing. 

By limiting fighters to 250 lb bombs, there would be a reason to fly the medium bombers.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:22:25 PM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."