Author Topic: Cadillac Of The Skies  (Read 819 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Cadillac Of The Skies
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 08:14:42 AM »
That's my favorite film scene of all time.

It's called skip bombing... Using time- rather than contact-fuzes. Also they used three Old Flying Machine Company P-51's in the filming, not just one. Mark Hanna flew one of them. The skip bombing and strafing scenes were done with the real Ponies and "real" bombs (inert of course). RC models were used for IJAA/IJN aircraft that blew up. The pilot doing the fly-by, waving to young Bale, was Ray Hanna; the founder of the Old Flying Machine Company, and father of Mark Hanna. Unfortunately, Mark and Ray are no longer with us.

Article by Mark Hanna:

http://vintageaeroplanewriter.blogspot.no/2011/12/skip-bombing-p-51s-in-empire-of-sun.html
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline RicOShay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Apparently his bombs didn't travel 500 feet through the air at the end of the clip...

As I remember from the movie the bombs skip bounce down the runway and into a hanger which blows up in a spectacular explosion.

Offline RicOShay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2012, 10:11:25 AM »
   The flyby of the mustang in the movie with the pilot waving at Jim really brought back memories of my youth. I grew up in Ohio near the old Akron Naval Air Station and there used to be a picnic area near the threshold of one of the runways. It was the summer of 1955, I was six years old, and I was with my dad on a hill near the edge of the runway and at least a dozen Navy Air National Guard pilots were landing in their deep blue gull winged F-4U Corsairs. One by one they would pass by us at eye level, so close I could almost reach out and touch them. I remembered the planes made a high pitch shrill whistling noise as they passed by with their landing gear and flaps deployed and with their bubble canopies slid all the way back you could clearly see the pilots. One by one as they passed by the pilots turned their heads towards us and either waved or saluted. Like Jim in the movie I was awe struck, and almost sixty years later I am still awe struck by that sureal event. Was it all a dream?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:53:16 AM by RicOShay »

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 12:46:05 PM »
I think the most awesome thing about the 51 is how incredibly it demoralized the enemy.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »
I have always liked that movie...but dang man it was a long one.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"