Author Topic: Your opinions on Performance Chips (for trucks)  (Read 699 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Your opinions on Performance Chips (for trucks)
« on: November 14, 2012, 08:42:31 AM »
Basically what the title means is what performance chips would you consider putting on a 7.3 powerstroke? I know edge, bullydog, Banks, and SuperChips all make chips that are supposed to give you more power, but which ones are the best?

Which ones have you seen or used? Did you like them?

:cheers:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your opinions on Performance Chips (for trucks)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2012, 08:45:40 AM »
When you have passed your driving test we will tell you, not until then :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 09:44:11 AM »
Basically what the title means is what performance chips would you consider putting on a 7.3 powerstroke? I know edge, bullydog, Banks, and SuperChips all make chips that are supposed to give you more power, but which ones are the best?

Which ones have you seen or used? Did you like them?

:cheers:

If your looking for just some extra HP and Torque, I would recommend the Superchip, thats what is in ours. Works like a charm. However, if you are looking to completely modify your shifting points, rev limits, ect, ect, then I would recommend Banks.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 10:34:33 AM »
I have been using the Hypertech programmer for almost 10 years. They are pricey, but the current programmer lets you pick three different settings. You see an immediate boost of power once it is installed and mileage goes up as well. I noticed the turbo kicks in sooner and torque is increased. It you change the size of your tires it will allow you to input the size to correct the speedometer.if you take your power stroke to the dealer or go in for a smog check (California) you need to return the vehicle to stock settings and that takes less than 5 minutes. After the service is over, it takes about 20 minutes to reprogram.

Good luck,
Mano
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
I think Banks has the most experience in the field and quite a few RV'ers use their products. Rather than just a simple chip change it would be better to invest in the entire programming module. You can select the mode you want "on the fly". Also invest in a good pyrometer to be installed just aft of the turbo so you can monitor EGT while running the thing. If you torch the turbo it will get expensive very fast.

Part of the full upgrade is to invest in the cool air intake system and inlet air cooler and exhaust mods. That will go a long way to improve mileage and engine longevity. Just the intake change is good for a HP and mileage boost.

Keep in mind that if you boost the engine the transmission will be the next weak link. They used the LEAST transmission capacity for any given level of power. If you boost the HP and Torque you will scorch the transmission unless you upgrade the torque converter and transmission. (assuming an auto tranny)
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »
There is an AIRRADE intake on it with 3"downpipe going into 5" strait out the back so I think it's all good with getting air in and out.

The torque converter was rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 06:00:21 PM »
There is an AIRRADE intake on it with 3"downpipe going into 5" strait out the back so I think it's all good with getting air in and out.

The torque converter was rebuilt about 5,000 miles ago.

Stock and rebuilt, or upgraded/aftermarket unit and rebuilt?  I don't think you understood what Mav was saying, they're built to a minimum standard, that standard assuming everything is stock and from the factory in your car and powerplant.  It could be brand new and dipped in whale oil, but still won't last long (if at all) to increased power and torque beyond it's designed limits (which, if the manufacturer wanted to increase any profit, then it is already at or very near those limits already).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Seanaldinho

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
I had a friend with a bullydog... that was a leather clenching experience...  :O :uhoh

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »
Stock and rebuilt, or upgraded/aftermarket unit and rebuilt?  I don't think you understood what Mav was saying, they're built to a minimum standard, that standard assuming everything is stock and from the factory in your car and powerplant.  It could be brand new and dipped in whale oil, but still won't last long (if at all) to increased power and torque beyond it's designed limits (which, if the manufacturer wanted to increase any profit, then it is already at or very near those limits already).
I have no idea if it has been upgraded (not my truck) I'm just trying to help a friend out lol. I'm going to assume it was rebuilt to stock.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 06:19:56 AM »
The title of this thread reminded me of this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yHl24QynOM#!

:huh  :lol
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
Are you talking chips or programers such as Diablo Trinity etc.

Programers (download /upload tunes)  usefull.

Chips....a sucker is born every minute...useless.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 01:53:50 PM »
Are you talking chips or programers such as Diablo Trinity etc.

Programers (download /upload tunes)  usefull.

Chips....a sucker is born every minute...useless.
Like a flash tuning device. One where you download from the Internet.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up.  I do have a few questions before I say Yay or Nay though if you don't mind?

First.  Is the device capable of downloading the tune already in your car or truck?  (if it is the stock from the factory tune)
You may wish to save the tune if the tune you upload makes things worse, or if the vehicle is under warranty.  If it is
under warranty and you have uploaded other then a stock tune to your vehicle and you take it for service you may have
some splain'n to do.  Good possibility that will nullify the warranty on the engine if it or engine components fail.  Be sure
you can save the tune and upload the stock tune back into your vehicle.

Two.  Yes...performance programers can help boost performance by increasing a rev limiter, a tune for a higher octane gas etc.
Be sure before you use the programer that you can save and download your stock tune before you consider flashing a new tune with
different parameters into your PCM.  You could dig the hole deeper if you don't have that ability.

For my R/T it would only be the Diablo Predator or Trinity, or have someone like Arrington or Pettys' Garage who know fully how to tune
the vehicle properly.  You have a different manufacturer so what is available and dependable for your vehicle I do not know.

Just a word to the wise.  Make dam sure your have the correct programer!  And don't purchase a programer unless it is widely known as being dependable.
Do your homework.

I would never use one unless I made serious modifications to my R/T such as adding a supercharger etc.
Then a new tune would be needed.  Again be very very careful.  Some of these vehicles are code protected.

Also remember this is only loading a tune into the PCM.  If anything physical has to be done such as widening spark plug gaps etc.
The flash tuner naturally can't do that.  Be careful!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 04:56:07 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »
 Hajo,

some great advice!

If your friend wants to make power with that diesel there's plenty of options,might consider a propane injector to the system.  Someone already mentioned an EGT monitor and thats a must if you plan on performance mods for a diesel,you can make some serious temps and have a massive meltdown.

It's a shame we dont do more with diesels over here,Europe has been doing some great stuff with diesels for years now. Oh right diesels will burn almost anything maybe thats got something to do with it.

:salute

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
There are several good tuners for a diesel.

Forget a simple chip.

With a tuner mountred on the dash you can change at will to haul trailers, to fuel mileage, to scatting down the road.

If this is an older diesel I'd think twice about cranking up the HP. Diesels tend to get set in their ways and if you change that drastically.... you'll be in the shop alot.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)