Author Topic: Gun Accidents.....how safe are you? really?  (Read 6533 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gun Accidents.....how safe are you? really?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:10 AM »
This is a profoundly stupid design feature. The trigger should do one thing only.

Not to be pedantic, but it does.

To be fair to the Glock people: You should always clear a gun before trying to disassemble it. Clearing a gun includes pulling the trigger to uncock the gun after you've visually checked the chamber. He also disregarded the rule that you should never put any body parts (that you want to keep) in front of the muzzle while pulling the trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2012, 11:18:35 AM »

To be fair to the Glock people: You should always clear a gun before trying to disassemble it. Clearing a gun includes pulling the trigger to uncock the gun after you've visually checked the chamber. He also disregarded the rule that you should never put any body parts (that you want to keep) in front of the muzzle while pulling the trigger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc

Correct.

My touching a firearm necessarily means I open the action and visually inspect the chamber.  This is absolutely standard operation procedure with any gun.

Being a Glock owner, I've been known to double and triple check the chamber before disassembling.  Even without the need to depress the trigger prior to slide removal, it just makes sense to do so.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2012, 11:37:23 AM »
10 years ago my brother gave me a German Mauser 98 w/ the Nazi symbol intact, re barreled w/ an FN '06 long version barrel. Took it out in the desert to shoot cans, when I closed the bolt on new ammo, it fired, shooting a hole in the window frame of the vehicle. I unloaded it & took it straight home & found a flaw in the frame/stock mount where closing the bolt put the sear & frame in a bind releasing the sear. Took me about a couple hours with a torch to customize the bolt & safety switch to clear the scope, & a Dremel tool to free everything up. I did a trigger job on it while I was at it. I could then float a $1 bill all the way through except the mounting bolts. It became one of the best shooting rifles I've ever had. My son has it & brags about out shooting his friends. Have fun & be safe.  :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2012, 01:17:29 PM »
I have a Mauser 98 too. :)

It was originally a K98 made in 1943 that the Norwegian army re-chambered to .30-06 after the war. Still got the eagle and swastika on it, but the original serial number has been replaced by the army. I've had it re-chambered it to 9.3mm Mauser and put a better stock on it.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2012, 01:20:23 PM »
Weapons "accidents" are from poor weapon handling practices.

If you shoot and kill yourself, more's the better.  Keeps the gene pool a bit cleaner...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 03:08:05 PM »

Not if you need to depress it to strip the gun it doesn't. It now does two things and the psychological ambiguity is unwanted and dangerous.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed freaks" - Zack1234

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 03:23:31 PM »
You don't need to depress it. The gun needs to be uncocked, which it should be after a proper clearing anyway. Watch the video.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2012, 03:49:19 PM »
You don't need to depress it. The gun needs to be uncocked, which it should be after a proper clearing anyway. Watch the video.

I see your point but how else can you de-cock it?

Do you see my point about the overloading of the trigger functionality?

I'm purely speaking from the design point of view, I agree it is the user's responsibility to clear the weapon, this one is just a real nasty 'feature' as illustrated by the OP.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2012, 04:23:35 PM »
No, I don't see your point. The Glock is a perfectly safe firearm and you don't need to touch the trigger while disassembling it. The unfortunate person in the OP's post failed to properly clear the weapon, put his hand in front of the muzzle, and pulled the trigger; something you should never do. Every weapon should be cleared and decocked before disassembly, except those guns that specifically need to be cocked. It is not good, and possibly dangerous, to pull a weapon apart with loaded springs inside; on an M2HB machine gun it is potentially fatal.

ALL weapons should be decocked as a part of the clearing process (the final part). On most weapons that involves pulling the trigger with the weapon pointing in a safe direction.

Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9y_FaItcTg

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
I see your point but how else can you de-cock it?

Do you see my point about the overloading of the trigger functionality?

I'm purely speaking from the design point of view, I agree it is the user's responsibility to clear the weapon, this one is just a real nasty 'feature' as illustrated by the OP.

If proper firearm safety was followed, the accident never would have happened. Blaming the gun is like blaming a car after you hit that bus load of Nuns doing 120 in a 35, while texting............

SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY, that is the key to handling firearms, stupid should hurt. If I shoot myself because I was careless, its my fault, not the guns. I never hand someone a gun that I have not showed them it is clear, and I will not take one from someone who doesnt do the same. have I mentioned SAFETY???? It is the first and last rule in gun handling.

NOT

AKNOT

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2012, 07:42:53 PM »
I have a Mauser 98 too. :)

It was originally a K98 made in 1943 that the Norwegian army re-chambered to .30-06 after the war. Still got the eagle and swastika on it, but the original serial number has been replaced by the army. I've had it re-chambered it to 9.3mm Mauser and put a better stock on it.

(Image removed from quote.)

I have three Mausers, all in 7.92mm. My favorite is a 98k manufactured in the BRNO factory ("dot" stamped on the receiver) in 1943. Laminate stock, matching serial numbers. Dark bore, but sharp rifling. Won a bet with it some years ago, when I hit 4 out of 5 golf balls using the original battle sights at 200 yards. My friend, shooting a Springfield M1A with a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope... He hit two...  :huh
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2012, 08:12:15 PM »
If proper firearm safety was followed, the accident never would have happened. Blaming the gun is like blaming a car after you hit that bus load of Nuns doing 120 in a 35, while texting............

No blaming the gun in this case is like blaming the driver when you can only remove the gearbox to change the clutch after you have driven at 120 and looked down to text near a nunnery.

I'm not disputing the proper procedure is necessary for safely dismantling the weapon. I'm saying the procedure itself is promoting the possibility of a negligent discharge.

The design is partially responsible for this accident. The trigger should not feature in the disassembly process at all.

No, I don't see your point. The Glock is a perfectly safe firearm and you don't need to touch the trigger while disassembling it.

:headscratch:

This can be a very dangerous pistol because to remove the slide, one must pull the trigger, so the firing mechanism will drop out of the way and the slide will slide forward off the frame.

Your video:- 00:35 "You know you have to pull the trigger, the trigger needs to be back before you can break it down" - hickok45

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
Arguing that glock's design is poor is tantamount to saying its fine to point the gun at your face when you disassemble it.

The gun wouldn't need to be designed safer if it were used and handled properly. Glock has their design, they're not going to chagne it because some don't practice safe gun-handling.

Is the design at fault? Perhaps, but only in the sense that it set the stage for the man to shoot himself in the face. More along the lines of blaming the clutch for needing to be changed.

You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:57 PM »
Arguing that glock's design is poor is tantamount to saying its fine to point the gun at your face when you disassemble it.

lol

Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline FireDrgn

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
No blaming the gun in this case is like blaming the driver when you can only remove the gearbox to change the clutch after you have driven at 120 and looked down to text near a nunnery.

I'm not disputing the proper procedure is necessary for safely dismantling the weapon. I'm saying the procedure itself is promoting the possibility of a negligent discharge.

The design is partially responsible for this accident. The trigger should not feature in the disassembly process at all.

:headscratch:

Your video:- 00:35 "You know you have to pull the trigger, the trigger needs to be back before you can break it down" - hickok45

The design can not actually be responsible.  Reification
"When the student is ready the teacher will appear."   I am not a teacher.