Author Topic: Quick review on Windows 8  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Quick review on Windows 8
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
Windows 7 still needs drivers.  It is one of the things I have found most often wrong with most computers, I see today.  Most people are letting the default drivers run, which work, but do not allow all the features of the hardware to be used.  In some cases there are stability issues until the motherboard drivers are installed.

I just built a new system will all the latest hardware and had to install all the drivers (video, motherboard, sound, and even the Intel Ethernet controller), just like I would for XP.  I found it odd that Windows 7 w/SP1 still needed over 100 updates.  Seems to be too many for such a new OS.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 04:26:53 PM »
Windows 7 still needs drivers.  It is one of the things I have found most often wrong with most computers, I see today.  Most people are letting the default drivers run, which work, but do not allow all the features of the hardware to be used.  In some cases there are stability issues until the motherboard drivers are installed.

I just built a new system will all the latest hardware and had to install all the drivers (video, motherboard, sound, and even the Intel Ethernet controller), just like I would for XP.  I found it odd that Windows 7 w/SP1 still needed over 100 updates.  Seems to be too many for such a new OS.

Ubuntu gets 100 updates quite fast after release too so it's nothing unique.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
Ubuntu gets 100 updates quite fast after release too so it's nothing unique.

Oh I know they get updated, but they are always a bit behind Microsoft updates.  Rightfully so.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 07:18:51 PM »
At least Win 8 is more intuitive than the new MacBook Wheel

I mean.. sheesh what was Apple thinking?!?  :O

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
There is no such thing as an intuitive operating system!!!!

I really detest the use of that word as a means to describe the difficulty of any operating system.

No one is born with the knowledge of how to use a computer operating system.  Everyone has to learn how to use one.  The ease, or difficulty, of which will vary from person to person.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:41 AM »
There is no such thing as an intuitive operating system!!!!

I really detest the use of that word as a means to describe the difficulty of any operating system.

No one is born with the knowledge of how to use a computer operating system.  Everyone has to learn how to use one.  The ease, or difficulty, of which will vary from person to person.
+1  :salute

"Intuitive", when speaking about operating systems: Some wise guy has changed the access method to a known function. You know by experience that it must be somewhere there and try every trick you've learned through your computing years. If you find the way on the second trial, it's intuitive. If you don't, you're plain stupid according to the evangelists of said operating system  :furious
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »
+1  :salute

"Intuitive", when speaking about operating systems: Some wise guy has changed the access method to a known function. You know by experience that it must be somewhere there and try every trick you've learned through your computing years. If you find the way on the second trial, it's intuitive. If you don't, you're plain stupid according to the evangelists of said operating system  :furious

On the other hand one must give them credit for iOS. Even a baby will (and have) learn it easily.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
On the other hand one must give them credit for iOS. Even a baby will (and have) learn it easily.

:rofl

I guess that is why my Wife's entire company dumped Apple.  Too easy?  Sure, that is it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 11:26:10 AM »

I guess that is why my Wife's entire company dumped Apple.  Too easy?  Sure, that is it.

I see kids under 10 working iPads and iPhones almost everyday walking through the city. I can't imagine it's that hard.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 11:48:54 AM »

Jellybean counters probably looked at the hardware cost and decision was done based on that. Easy as that. Our company has saved the hardware cost back in saved labour many times after ditching windows laptops and moving 100% Apple. Hardware breakdowns and OS reinstalls just virtually disappeared.

I have to say I hated to use Apple at first, now I kinda like it after getting used to it. I especially like the user interfaces of the many applications - very smooth and easy to use. Windows looks like it's lagging 10 years behind especially on the application interface front.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2012, 12:21:46 PM »
Actually, everyone was complaining, which caused the mass exodus.  They installed Windows 7 on all the Mac hardware to appease the users.  Even the system admins hated it.

Personally, I do not care for iOS/OSX or Windows 7.  Both miss the mark in ease of use and flexibility, compared to what they could be.

Windows 8 is just an abomination, which cannot be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:41:40 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
Actually, everyone was complaining, which caused the mass exodus.  They installed Windows 7 on all the Mac hardware to appease the users.  Even the system admins hated it.

Personally, I do not care for iOS or Windows 7.  Both miss the mark in ease of use and flexibility, compared to what they could be.

Windows 8 is just an abomination, which cannot be fixed.

I was complaining too untill I got unstuck from the windows 'experience'. Now I use OSX 90% of the time and windows only when I absolutely must and that's for gaming and handling our own software which is running on windows/linux.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:15 PM »
I was complaining too untill I got unstuck from the windows 'experience'. Now I use OSX 90% of the time and windows only when I absolutely must and that's for gaming and handling our own software which is running on windows/linux.

In her business, any down time costs the company enormous amounts of money, short term and long term.  They had no choice but to go back.  Three days of zero productivity ends up costing them more than they would ever get back from an operating system switch.

It was an expensive lesson.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:13 PM »
In her business, any down time costs the company enormous amounts of money, short term and long term.  They had no choice but to go back.  Three days of zero productivity ends up costing them more than they would ever get back from an operating system switch.

It was an expensive lesson.

I'd say they made their preparations very poorly if they managed to get 3 days of downtime on OSX. Was it the printing problem or what?

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2012, 01:13:23 PM »
Oh sweet lord, Apple vs Microsoft again.
Pies not kicks.