Author Topic: Why are some slurs ok?  (Read 305 times)

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
Why are some slurs ok?
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:36:21 PM »
I've noticed that during regular conversation we all seem to casually use words and phrases that used to be offensive but are not anymore.  And I've noticed that the opposite has happened with the term Jap, which only became offensive after the war.

A few that come to mind:
Paddy Wagon:  Wagons were needed by police departments to haul people to jail beginning with the mass exodus of Irish to America.

Welsh:  Someone who re-nigs, or more specifically doesn't pay lost bets.

Hooligan:  The earliest use of the word "hooligan" dates back to British newspaper and police reports in the summer of 1898. They seem to have adapted the word from the Houlihan family, a group of Irish immigrants living in London. The family became known for their hilarious drinking songs, jigs and their enthusiastic police brutality that tended to ensue (to a word, "Irish-ness").

Vandals:  A horde of dirty godless Germans.

Bugger:  A sodomite from Bulgaria

Cannibal:  Anyone from the west Indies.

Gyp:  Someone who steals, short for gypsy.

I'm sure there are more.  Anyone feel like sharing?

I left out Limey for Zack.

If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
Re: Why are some slurs ok?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:39:38 PM »
SINce I feel a good locking of this thread forthcoming. I should say you forgot  vTard.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 03:12:19 PM »
In Finnish we have the word "hunsvotti", mainly used by better folks' aunties wearing flower hats about ill-behaving youth. The word has its origins from German-based merchants, who called thieves by the name "Hundsfotze"...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 03:15:22 PM »
How in the world do you not understand that is a complete violation of forum posting rule #4?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com