Author Topic: Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy  (Read 3105 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2012, 12:53:56 PM »
Morgan Freeman never made those statements.   :rofl

Welcome to nine hours ago...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
Stick 2 police to guard each school. Money gets guards, factories have guards, why not for 1000 children?  I recall always seeing a couple police walking around my schools, if something broke out seemed there was always a cop within 80 yards.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 01:40:23 PM by bagrat »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2012, 01:56:31 PM »
police are too busy filling their parking ticket quotas to raise funds for the town or state

that's way more important than protecting children
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
even as a hoax its all a bit embarassing for Morgan really, considering how much money he has made from acting in movies involving serial/spree killers and general gun-worship. his agent/PR must have had a busy couple of days.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
police are too busy filling their parking ticket quotas to raise funds for the town or state

that's way more important than protecting children

*points to the trash bin full of trolls*  Go that way and never return.

For what it is worth, I never had any quotas of any kind when I wore the shield or the star.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
I'm guessing you would rather have been out on the beat doing real police work than spending every shift wandering around an elementary school as a security guard too.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2012, 02:48:55 PM »
I'm guessing you would rather have been out on the beat doing real police work than spending every shift wandering around an elementary school as a security guard too.
Im guessing whether or not it was  Winter time had much sway in this decision.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2012, 03:14:33 PM »
I think the real question is what's unique about the United States. Events like these have become, sadly, almost commonplace here. There is obviously, like or not, something deeply wrong with the American psyche that isn't present in practically any other western, civilized society in the world. Is it that our media is all that different? Is it because we've departed more from 'family values' than European cultures have? Is it just because it's easier to get guns? Is it because we glorify violence and going out with a bang more than anyone else?
Or it's something else?

These are the correct questions to ask.  The assumptions necessary to develop a problem-hypothesis will be based on the answers to these questions.  Well done
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2012, 03:17:43 PM »
Motherland,

On Friday, in China, a deranged man entered an elementary school and stabbed 22 children with a knife.  Fortunately, last I had heard none had died.  I have no doubt that had he been able to obtain a gun he would have used a gun instead of a knife. I am not suggesting guns need to be banned in the US.  Such a thing is literally impossible.  I was merely referencing another deranged act on the same day of similar type in a very different culture.  China has, in the last few years, had a rash of adult men stabbing school kids in schools.

Deranged people do deranged things and sometimes those deranged things are violent.  The question becomes, "What can we do to reduce the harm that they do?"

And providing some evidence that where there is a will, there's a way.  If they don't have guns, they use knives....if not knives, clubs, if not clubs, rocks and now we've reached prehistoric man.  What is causing the US and, as China incident suggests, move backwards in time?

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2012, 03:24:44 PM »
could you kill 26 people in 3-4mins with a rock? :headscratch:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #72 on: December 17, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
I grew up in the fifties and sixties.  No one would think of doing something of this magnitude.  It wouldn't be thought of as an option.
The first mass killing that I remember was by a deranged ex-marine in a tower in Texas.  That was in the early 60s.
If there were a disagreement at our school it would be taken up across the street in a mano a mano fist fight.  No jerks with guns
or knives.  Afterwards....winner and loser forgot about it.  It was settled.  No one bringing knives or guns into school.  Again
not an option, unheard of.

Place the blame squarely where it lies.  On todays society.

All great points....so the question remains....why are some demographics of society rapidly changing their views on what defines right and what defines wrong and why is real, real, wrong the path these people take?  I hate saying it because I'm not perfect  but....

PARENTING = the beginning, middle and end of teaching children accountability
PARENTING = what love looks like to a child
PARENTING=  the example of work ethic, social behavior, marital example, parenting example
PARENTING= attention.  Does our society as a whole pay enough, and, the right kind of attention to our own children...or is that iPhone more important?

99% of the time, loving them isn't enough.  We have to show them we do by paying attention to them when they speak, when they act out, when theyve done well or poorly, etc.  I'm not perfect....I'm just suggesting it all starts at home and when I was a kid, well, you all know that story.  Corporal punishment was allowed, parents agreed with it and you got it again when you got home. 

Maybe it's the law...maybe kids suing their parents and vile crap like that gives kids too much latitude...if you don't like it, hire an attorney and that candy donut will find a way to get you out of it.

Your imperfect buddy,

Changeup

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #73 on: December 17, 2012, 03:33:57 PM »

No.  So, now hiding behind a bush and clubbing people to death one at a time is better than all at once?  I figured some one would pick the rock and run with it.  You missed the point clearly.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: December 17, 2012, 04:13:07 PM »
NOPE  but why do you assume they go rock when they could go bomb?
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep