Author Topic: Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy  (Read 3116 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:46:36 PM »
I find myself in agreement with Freeman's views. How about you?

"You want to know why. This may sound cynical, but here's why.

It's because of the way the media reports it. Flip on the news and watch how we treat the Batman theater shooter and the Oregon mall shooter like celebrities. Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris are household names, but do you know the name of a single *victim* of Columbine?

Disturbed people who would otherwise just off themselves in their basements see the news and want to top it by doing something worse, and going out in a memorable way. Why a grade school? Why children? Because he'll be remembered as a horrible monster, instead of a sad nobody.

CNN's article says that if the body count "holds up", this will rank as the second deadliest shooting behind Virginia Tech, as if statistics somehow make one shooting worse than another. Then they post a video interview of third-graders for all the details of what they saw and heard while the shootings were happening. Fox News has plastered the killer's face on all their reports for hours. Any articles or news stories yet that focus on the victims and ignore the killer's identity? None that I've seen yet. Because they don't sell. So congratulations, sensationalist media, you've just lit the fire for someone to top this and knock off a day care center or a maternity ward next.

You can help by forgetting you ever read this man's name, and remembering the name of at least one victim. You can help by donating to mental health research instead of pointing to gun control as the problem. You can help by turning off the news."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 02:50:38 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Morgan Freeman's insight into the recent tragedy
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »
When I read that it was in his voice in my head. But seriously, he's right. 100% unarguably right.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:55:56 PM »
there is far more to blame then the media....

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:57:41 PM »
Could you elaborate on that Ink, unless it will violate the posting riles?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »
The vast majority (85%+) of these shooters were either on or just getting off some physcho medicine like prozac, etc. That is NOT to say that this leads to all shootings but the connection is there. Next time you watch a TV commercial for a mood altering drug they will list possible side effects to include violent and/or suicidal thoughts. Again, I'm not saying this is the cause. Without a doubt many factors involved but it. Is the mmost common connection.

Sad!

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
One of the few time freeman and I will agree on something. I rarely take any note of any actor or entertainers opinions on anything. I have little respect for their antics and behavior. It's my fervent opinion they are vastly overpaid and over sensationalized themselves. While I will enjoy their performances I also know that it's all make believe and their craft produces nothing to benefit others and to no risk to themselves. To me it should be valued at the unskilled labor level and paid as such.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »
Could you elaborate on that Ink, unless it will violate the posting riles?

I would love too...but I cant it would break rule 14 :salute

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
there is far more to blame then the media....

As in the lack of family values?  Lack of responsibility for ones own actions? Lack of discipline? Lack of ... on and on and on.....

The sad thing is the awesome amount of people that are blaming an inanimate object(s) for these events.    

I'm not too keen on Morgan Freeman's mostly left leaning stances, but on some topics he is spot on.  This is one of them.  The other issue he has spoken of is the idiocy of having a "Black History Month", when the history of this country and the world should be woven together and not separated.  He feels, and I completely agree that once we specify a period of time to recognize things of historical value (specific dates aside), the importance of that issue in our ever day lives is lost.   
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 03:29:05 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:33:25 PM »
As in the lack of family values?  Lack of responsibility for ones own actions? Lack of discipline? Lack of ... on and on and on.....

The sad thing is the awesome amount of people that are blaming an inanimate object(s) for these events.    

one of the comments I read "get rid of killer guns".....how stupid can a person be to blame an inanimate object for something like this.......

the level of stupid in this world has increased exponentially in the last 100 years

yet most think we are smarter and more advanced  :rofl :rofl

......gotta stop.........

oh and the one who commented on actors and their views....dead on man....they are the highest paid people in america...for what....make pretend...what the hell does that say about society.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:39:27 PM »
While I will enjoy their performances I also know that it's all make believe and their craft produces nothing to benefit others and to no risk to themselves. To me it should be valued at the unskilled labor level and paid as such.

The vast majority of actors are. Only a very few get to actually live, and live well, from acting alone. Much like athletes. Freeman is also not just an actor, but also a Doctor of Arts and Letters and a pilot. If you believe that actors do not produce anything that benefits others then that would apply to all art.

However, this is a digression...

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »
I would love too...but I cant it would break rule 14 :salute

Yes, let's keep this thread within the rules.  :salute

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 03:56:09 PM »
oh and the one who commented on actors and their views....dead on man....they are the highest paid people in america...for what....make pretend...what the hell does that say about society.

So because they have a well paying job you don't value their opinions? Why do you value anyone's opinions? Fact is they are seen by millions and therefore have a platform. Hopefully (and most of the time) there opinions and messages are positive. They do provide a service, entertainment. People need to be entertained. Entertainment makes people happy and happy people generally do not go on shooting rampages. I agree with what Morgan Freeman said also. The less we know,hear, or think about the shooter the better focus on the victims.

Also athletes for the most part get paid very well. I believe average pay for practice squad players in the NFL is around 400k a year.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 04:12:46 PM »
The vast majority (85%+) of these shooters were either on or just getting off some physcho medicine like prozac, etc. That is NOT to say that this leads to all shootings but the connection is there. Next time you watch a TV commercial for a mood altering drug they will list possible side effects to include violent and/or suicidal thoughts. Again, I'm not saying this is the cause. Without a doubt many factors involved but it. Is the mmost common connection.

Sad!

Boo

Prozac is most commonly used to treat Depression symptoms. So, what you're saying is that they'd be more likely to shoot up a school after coming off the drug, assuming because they feel like they're strong enough to continue life without it?  :headscratch:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
Sci-Fi author David Brin posted the same idea on his blog earlier this year:

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2012/07/names-of-infamy-deny-killers-notoreity.html
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 04:42:16 PM »
I think the real question is what's unique about the United States. Events like these have become, sadly, almost commonplace here. There is obviously, like or not, something deeply wrong with the American psyche that isn't present in practically any other western, civilized society in the world. Is it that our media is all that different? Is it because we've departed more from 'family values' than European cultures have? Is it just because it's easier to get guns? Is it because we glorify violence and going out with a bang more than anyone else?
Or it's something else?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:44:20 PM by Motherland »