Author Topic: Yellow vector and program crash  (Read 944 times)

Offline J18Dread

• Zinc Member
Yellow vector and program crash
« on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:14 AM »
I am trying to develop an offline (staged) mission that will send an enemy out every 5 minutes orbit/loiter over the trenches and then return.  I can get the plane to get to the trenches but there is a strange yellow vector that I cannot edit.  Program seems to run OK with one orbit and then lands, at that point the program crashes.  Any thoughts appreciated.  Thanks.  Will try to attach the .mis file if I can figure out how.  No luck, I saw a post that said it was now possible to attach the .mis file.  Any instructions?

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Yellow vector and program crash
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »
Throw me an email and I'll take a look...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline J18Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 02:19:53 PM »
Great, how do I do that? Your email is hidden.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
Fixed that problem :|

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »
That yellow vector appears because you are trying to do the impossible with that WWI model with the route specified.

That yellow vector represents what the model will actually do when trying to follow that route, if that segment was possible, then it would blend in with the usual way-points.

When laying out your way-points, think about "can this aircraft do this in the amount of time I give it", even if you are not sure, don't do it, it can cause serious side-effects "like crashing" when attempting to run the simulator. This is especially true for bombers.

From what I saw, you are trying to encourage a fight. Remember, once the two aircraft meet and engage each other, the route is semi-ignored. The route will only act like a timer until the enemy is dead, from there it will head to where it should be along your route at that specific time.

When making a mission that contains a fight, make it as simple as possible, it may not be pretty to look at but it works a lot better.

Offline J18Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »
MrKrabs;

Any way to know what parameters I am violating?  I have tried adjusting length, elevation, speed, leaving all to auto, etc.  and I am still getting extraneous vectors and/or no duration calculation (void segment).  I am trying to model the Fokker DVII.  When trying to takeoff (using manual and canned settings) and to go to 500 ft elevation agl in a 1 mile segment I shows I do not have enough distance (1.000001) and get a blue vector.  I have tried 450, then 400, then 200 , even 0 fl agl - no luck.  Where can I find the climb rate for the DVII and other WWI planes?

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 11:46:30 PM »
For the most part, you're asking your Fokkers to operate at 2,000ft AGL... That is a bit too high to allow some breathing room for the simulator...

Try to keep the turns wide and forgiving and keep the altitude low.

Offline J18Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »
Now I am confused.  2000 ft is a moderate cruising/engagement altitude in on-line and offline play and all of the maneuvers/turns/rate of climb are easily achieved in the game.  I am trying to replicate 'normal' conditions and minimize time to 'target' to maintain a reasonable pace of engagement.  Is the mission editor/simulator not designed to emulate WWI aircraft?  Am I on a fools errand? 

I still appreciate your assistance, but I have no wish to waste my time.  This should have been a simple/trivial exercise (my frustration is showing).  Again, thanks.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 03:23:06 PM »

Offline J18Dread

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »
Thanks, I may have been worrying about nothing since I am seeing similar extraneous vectors in the template.  I will probably try to get simplify the landing sequence and reduce the area - it will take forever to cover the current distances.
This gives me a great guide.  Any insights as to have another plane spawn after about 5 minutes, and then another, up to 5 new enemies? The goal is to have both online and offline practice sessions with the online having different dromes to fly from.  Again, thanks.  I am sure you have better things to do than hold my hand.