Author Topic: AI Aircraft getting hung on course line  (Read 1318 times)

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
AI Aircraft getting hung on course line
« on: December 18, 2012, 02:14:31 PM »
Hey Guys,

I am building a medium sized event and have been experiencing problems with the AI aircraft getting hung in endless spirals at certain points on the plotted course.

Have any of you guys experienced that and is there an appropriate build change or fix?

The courses do not change at 90 degree angles. They are within the aircraft's rate of climb and bank as well.

For example:

P-39Ds and F4F-4s climing together to an altitude of 11500 ft. over 15 miles. This is doable...

The climb route ends with an on altitude cruise for 5 miles before the first turn.

When the group gets to the first turn, some not all of the aircraft start a 360 degree turn to the right and begin to loose some altitude. Most of them recover on course until the last turn.

On the last turn they seem to enter an infinite loop to the right and stay there for the remainder of the mission.

I would say out of 16 aircraft, 5 actually make the final turn to the new 90 degree course line.

Weird huh!  :headscratch:

btw, there are three course changes that make up the turn; i.e.

Hdg 360 degree climb to 11500...

Level cruise on 360 degree for 5 miles...

First turn to 330 degrees in cruise...

Second turn 310 degrees in cruise...

Final turn 270 degrees in cruise to complete the 90 degree turn.

I am not sure how the speed can be a factor if the editor defaults the speed based on your request.

What do you think?

Thanks for the help...
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: AI Aircraft getting hung on course line
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 11:54:41 PM »
This typically happens when you may have too many planes trying to do the same thing at the same time. When other planes are attempting to follow the "Lead" plane of a "flight", they can get a bit lost and start randomly circling until the simulator catches up to a solution.

Other questions would be "Are you using a reasonable speed at that point"? If the answer is no, then the aircraft at the end of the segment DID NOT meet the speed you dictated and will start circling until it reaches the speed needed to continue to the next segment. Since they're turning they never reach that speeds and infinitely loop.

Example:
Lets say when you leveled off at the altitude you desired, but you expected the planes to be at "350mph" by the end of that segment, if they didn't amass enough speed, they will loop

But this was merely a guess, throw me a copy of the mission and I'll be happy to take a look, maybe I'll be able to sniff it out.
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 09:23:32 AM »
This typically happens when you may have too many planes trying to do the same thing at the same time. When other planes are attempting to follow the "Lead" plane of a "flight", they can get a bit lost and start randomly circling until the simulator catches up to a solution.

Other questions would be "Are you using a reasonable speed at that point"? If the answer is no, then the aircraft at the end of the segment DID NOT meet the speed you dictated and will start circling until it reaches the speed needed to continue to the next segment. Since they're turning they never reach that speeds and infinitely loop.

Example:
Lets say when you leveled off at the altitude you desired, but you expected the planes to be at "350mph" by the end of that segment, if they didn't amass enough speed, they will loop

But this was merely a guess, throw me a copy of the mission and I'll be happy to take a look, maybe I'll be able to sniff it out.

Thanks for the comments Krabs...  :salute

So, do I hear you saying that the speed of transition of each segment is based on the speed the aircraft achieves by the end of the segment?

Meaning the aircraft needs to achieve the maximum speed of the following segment by, in this case, the time it reaches the end of it current segment regardless of the type segment.

example:

Table 1 shows that the aircraft should turn to a hdg of 350 degrees and maintain 200 kts.

I hear you saying that this is incorrect and the following segment speed should match the previous.

As in Table 2 where the turn is requested at the same speed or maybe even less.

Right?
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »
If the speed is to slow, it will also cause the planes to do strange thing.

HiTech

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »
If the speed is to slow, it will also cause the planes to do strange thing.

HiTech

Hitech,

Funny you should mention that. I just tested for that very thing and a speed reduction in the turn destroyed the route.

A few not all, eventually recovered on the assigned heading after a minute or so. But the damage is done. Their spread out all over the route now.

Is there a recommend throttle reduction ratio for the turns or just play with it?

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 03:29:49 PM »
I always keep expected speed at least 10%-30% slower... It gives breathing room so that flights can catch up/keep up with the route giving the simulator more options. "Whether this being speed increase to model's maximum speed at the maximum angle, maneuvering to stay in formation, etc.

Lets say your flight is flying along a cruise segment, you are 100% sure that model can go 300mph, but in reality you can do the simulator a favor by setting it to 220mph.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 10:59:22 AM »
Hitech,

Funny you should mention that. I just tested for that very thing and a speed reduction in the turn destroyed the route.

A few not all, eventually recovered on the assigned heading after a minute or so. But the damage is done. Their spread out all over the route now.

Is there a recommend throttle reduction ratio for the turns or just play with it?

It is not a reduction rate, you are trying to make the inside planes stay in formation below there stall speeds.

HiTech

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:08:50 AM »
It is not a reduction rate, you are trying to make the inside planes stay in formation below there stall speeds.

HiTech

Hey Guys,

I hope that everyone had a great Holiday. I am trying to get back on track here. I am sponsoring an AI event for Sunday European Campaign in January and I need to hop on this to get it tested and ready. I would appreciate any help that is possible.

I am looking to see if there is any clear variance between course changes and the transition in speed of most AI aircraft. Not just going slow in the leg previous. That doesn't always work. I need to be able to say;

Turn right to hdg 190 degrees from 135 degrees and formations will not get in trouble if I am within +- 5 MPH indicated of whatever the base maneuvering speed . The speeds are hard enough to nail. There needs to be some kind of buffer to go by. Is it possible that one exist currently?

Thanks...

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
When you run the simulation in the editor, watch the green lead icon. This will tell you everything you need to know. All models along that specific way-point will do whatever they can reasonably to keep up with said green lead icon. This means they will cut corners "if they have to" to catch up and etc. The same can be said if they're going too fast, they'll overshoot and circle or scissor to get/stay on track.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2012, 07:49:19 AM »
When you run the simulation in the editor, watch the green lead icon. This will tell you everything you need to know. All models along that specific way-point will do whatever they can reasonably to keep up with said green lead icon. This means they will cut corners "if they have to" to catch up and etc. The same can be said if they're going too fast, they'll overshoot and circle or scissor to get/stay on track.

Thanks Krabs...

I kind of thought that that would have been the white course icon. The AI always seems to chase that one.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
Thanks Krabs...

I kind of thought that that would have been the white course icon. The AI always seems to chase that one.

Per-model yes... But the green icon is a real time-keeper...