Author Topic: Arena Etiquette Confusion  (Read 6243 times)

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
Re: Arena Etiquette Confusion
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »
This business of treating 1v1's as something you shouldn't "interrupt" except without permission is strange to me.

If you want to be in a 1v1, why are you in the MA?  For that matter, why are you even playing a MMOG and paying out money per month for the privilege of doing so?  There are boxed sims out there which have on-line play enabled where you don't have to play a subscription fee to play.

The reason I play on-line is because of the fact that the situation you're in is always fluid and can evolve.

A 1v1 that you know with an absolutely certainty will STAY a 1v1 is somewhat sterile and uninteresting except as a classroom exercise.

It really is dependent on the situation.... have you have a really good 1v1..1v2 at all??? if you happen upon a fight in progress.... especially if you weren't even in icon range what does it hurt to ask... sometimes you will run into a person who wants to fight and you will fight from 10k all the way to the weeeds ... a hand aching fight where in the end it doesn't matter if you win or lose as you have just had a winning experience..
does this mean at a base that is temming with red and green....no.....it means if there is only two guys having a fight ask... I will usually ask others who come into icon range to stay out if I am in a situation like this and if I am not going to be heeded I will do as Ink says/does and pull off... it is something that has changed rather drastically in my opinion... and will hopefully die out in a few years as i have noticed that the newer generation is starting to show a little respect again.. but we have a whole generation of meh to deal with first..... yes this is a MMO .. but it has been around longer than many(in some form or other) other gang raid type play MMO's which have been made... this is where the...Oh you play this MMO and expect 1V1...and complain about ganging discussions come from ...... cause what some have been bought up on(gaming) is vastly different from what many who play here have been bought up on

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 01:51:07 PM »
When debrody is on you should ask on 200 before killing anyone  :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 01:55:14 PM »
Depends on where the 1v1 is. If there are two guys fighting off alone I'll ask if the friendly wants help and respect what he says. If they are in the middle of a furball its fair game.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 02:20:28 PM »
You're likely going to get a  several different opinions on this, however what it's worth  my thoughts are this.

If I see a 1v1 happening, regardless of what arena I'm in it seems to me that it would be a common courtesy to ask before jumping in.  Either way a quick "hey to you need help?" is far easier than any other alternative.

:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline dbh991

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
OH I see you weren't looking for an answer per-say, you were looking for validation for picking an easy kill.
No, not at all.  I was genuinely confused.  I sought these responses and have greatly valued them all.  I thank all who have posted including you.  These responses have allowed me to form my ultimate opinion, not reached until a short while ago.  Don't read too much into my "initial gut feeling" comment.  Though if my initial gut feeling had been "this is wrong" then I wouldn't have entered the 1v1 to begin with.  My "teammate" appeared to be having trouble.  Not wanting one of "my side" to get killed I stepped in.  I now believe his anger towards me was a result of his inability to get the kill on his own.  His ego problem is not my problem.

-Doug

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »
Does it hurt to ask? No. Does every pilot in this game have a convenient way to reply to you if they do want help and don't want to die? I have been asked in such a way MANY times and on occasion, for whatever reason, I wasn't ready to go out the way the guy trying to kill me had planned. BUT I couldn't answer.

Maybe I already had parts missing from a prior engagement and the bad guy was knowingly or not taking advantage of that. I certainly couldn't type in a fight and didn't always use a mic.

To the OP:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

You will never change the behavior they are suggesting you yourself refrain from. The arenas were created with DISTINCT objectives in mind, one for unrestricted combat no quarter asked, none granted. The other has rules that can have you moderated in some way if you fail to heed warnings of a private group.

I myself loved a great 1v1, but if I am in the MA and I get jumped in a fight, it's MY situational awareness that has failed. If you take away the possibility that I might get jumped in fight, you are ruining half the fun and challenge of the game.

The guys who want the honor system in the game want you to play the game by their rules because it's too inconvenient to find some place private to have their fun. OR nobody else really wants a 1v1 which is why they are forced to play in your sandbox and now want to tell you how to play your game. I understand their frustration completely, I have been there done that. Bored with the horde and no one to speak of in the DA.

I guarantee that one day you will pass one of those private fights and the winner will be the one who enters an already unbalanced fight and shoots you down. He will do so because he doesn't play by your rule or his perception was that it was unbalanced to your advantage, when the reality was, it was not.

Then there will be an argument about who's perception is right and you will once again be chasing your tail in circles just as you are now, trying to resolve an issue that is a matter of perception.

I hate getting jumped as much as the next guy, but I have had unforgettable fights where it was me against 2,3, 4 or more. And everyone of the guys who say they are all about the fight will probably have a story about how they won a fight against multiple bad guys, yet here they are telling you that you shouldn't have done that.  :rolleyes:

The truth is, they are telling you they don't like it when you kill them if they are in a 1v1 already. If they win, they make youtube videos of it.

If someone politely ASKS me to stay out of a fight I will do so, but they're daft if they think I am going to leave every "seemingly private" fight in the MA when it's not what the arena is for, no one has communicated it's a private fight and there is even the slightest possibility that the winner is the straw that breaks the camels back when he enters my fight.

Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
You're likely going to get a  several different opinions on this, however what it's worth  my thoughts are this.

If I see a 1v1 happening, regardless of what arena I'm in it seems to me that it would be a common courtesy to ask before jumping in.  Either way a quick "hey to you need help?" is far easier than any other alternative.

This.

If he doesnt respond. which is sometimes the case. Then its your call
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 03:03:59 PM »
No, not at all.  I was genuinely confused.  I sought these responses and have greatly valued them all.  I thank all who have posted including you.  These responses have allowed me to form my ultimate opinion, not reached until a short while ago.  Don't read too much into my "initial gut feeling" comment.  Though if my initial gut feeling had been "this is wrong" then I wouldn't have entered the 1v1 to begin with.  My "teammate" appeared to be having trouble.  Not wanting one of "my side" to get killed I stepped in.  I now believe his anger towards me was a result of his inability to get the kill on his own.  His ego problem is not my problem.

-Doug
This is probably pretty wrong and he probably would've rather died than had someone ruin the fight for him.
When you get to a certain point getting kills isn't really a thrill and dieing really isn't a big deal. I would never assume someone is mad just because they died, unless they acted in a way that clearly demonstrates that.

The issue that you're having is kind of a disconnect I think. No one goes to the MA to find a 1v1. It's a pretty unrealistic expectation to have and the game would not be at all fun if you expected to find that on a regular basis.
However, by a serendipitous event, you occasionally find yourself alone with an enemy pilot of a similar skill level to you in the MA. It's not about seeking it, but it does happen. When you find this person and you engage them, and several minutes later you're still riding the stall, black out, flipping your plane around for that guns solution and he's doing the same... it's fun, and above that, you start to develop a certain respect for your opponent. Even if that sounds ridiculous, you can certainly appreciate fighting another skilled pilot man on man in the MA.
So, when, completely unexpectedly, you find yourself in this dogfight, and 7 minutes later you're still having that fight that makes your week, winning or losing, and some dork in a P51 blasts through at 400 mph and ends it in 5 seconds without asking it's pretty frustrating. Even if someone saves your bellybutton it can be, because at that point you really start to feel like your opponent deserves that kill.
Breaking up a 1v1 in a furball isn't a big deal, but when you see an isolated 1v1 you should really consider that those two might be having some fun at it and there may be several minutes of fun left. Lets face it, there's a lot of climbing and transit for this game for not a whole lot of action a lot of the time, so every moment of excitement is precious, and there are few things more exhilarating in this game (to a lot of people at least) than a spontaneous, hard fought 1v1.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 03:09:52 PM »
Alls fair in the MA............

do as you would expect to be done unto........... 

dont expect others to do as you do............

This is about all we can ask.  The expectation that others think like you do is what frustrates so many in this game... and in life in general.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 04:01:39 PM »
It's always nice to ask.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »

So, when, completely unexpectedly, you find yourself in this dogfight, and 7 minutes later you're still having that fight that makes your week, winning or losing, and some dork in a P51 blasts through at 400 mph and ends it in 5 seconds without asking it's pretty frustrating. Even if someone saves your bellybutton it can be, because at that point you really start to feel like your opponent deserves that kill.
Breaking up a 1v1 in a furball isn't a big deal, but when you see an isolated 1v1 you should really consider that those two might be having some fun at it and there may be several minutes of fun left. Lets face it, there's a lot of climbing and transit for this game for not a whole lot of action a lot of the time, so every moment of excitement is precious, and there are few things more exhilarating in this game (to a lot of people at least) than a spontaneous, hard fought 1v1.
:aok
-AoM-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 04:27:08 PM »
No, not at all.  I was genuinely confused.  I sought these responses and have greatly valued them all.  I thank all who have posted including you.  These responses have allowed me to form my ultimate opinion, not reached until a short while ago.  Don't read too much into my "initial gut feeling" comment.  Though if my initial gut feeling had been "this is wrong" then I wouldn't have entered the 1v1 to begin with.  My "teammate" appeared to be having trouble.  Not wanting one of "my side" to get killed I stepped in.  I now believe his anger towards me was a result of his inability to get the kill on his own.  His ego problem is not my problem.

-Doug

This is either arrogant or you're not understanding something very basic to many players. Its the FIGHT that is sought out, and how it ends is utterly, completely, and entirely irrelevant to how much fun you had.

When you find an enemy who pushes you to your limits, and a bit beyond, but you can't quite shoot down, you'll understand. I firmly believe the best fights are the ones that start unexpectedly, and end with both of you slink off hoping both that you will never see each other again, and that he's the next fighter you merge with

It sounds like winning the fights, landing kills, and and winning the war is more important to you than the quality of fights you're having. That isn't true for a considerable group in Aces High, and you need to adjust your thinking to account for that.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 04:33:01 PM »
I try to watch which way the tracers are going.  Red to green I try to help.  Green to red, then I watch unless it is in a furbal or I think I have a better E advantage to catch a red.

Interesting too I heard some tank guys complaining about the airplanes interfering with their tank battle albeit I have had good gaming action working with most tank people.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 04:40:10 PM »
This is probably pretty wrong and he probably would've rather died than had someone ruin the fight for him.
When you get to a certain point getting kills isn't really a thrill and dieing really isn't a big deal. I would never assume someone is mad just because they died, unless they acted in a way that clearly demonstrates that.

The issue that you're having is kind of a disconnect I think. No one goes to the MA to find a 1v1. It's a pretty unrealistic expectation to have and the game would not be at all fun if you expected to find that on a regular basis.
However, by a serendipitous event, you occasionally find yourself alone with an enemy pilot of a similar skill level to you in the MA. It's not about seeking it, but it does happen. When you find this person and you engage them, and several minutes later you're still riding the stall, black out, flipping your plane around for that guns solution and he's doing the same... it's fun, and above that, you start to develop a certain respect for your opponent. Even if that sounds ridiculous, you can certainly appreciate fighting another skilled pilot man on man in the MA.

This is either arrogant or you're not understanding something very basic to many players. Its the FIGHT that is sought out, and how it ends is utterly, completely, and entirely irrelevant to how much fun you had.

When you find an enemy who pushes you to your limits, and a bit beyond, but you can't quite shoot down, you'll understand. I firmly believe the best fights are the ones that start unexpectedly, and end with both of you slink off hoping both that you will never see each other again, and that he's the next fighter you merge with

It sounds like winning the fights, landing kills, and and winning the war is more important to you than the quality of fights you're having. That isn't true for a considerable group in Aces High, and you need to adjust your thinking to account for that.

both responses are dead on :salute

to the OP my ingame name is JETSOM if ever you see me on and fighting...don't bother to ask if I want "help" I DONT nor will I ever.......GASP even if my cartoon dies  :O

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
In the mains, you kill them where you find them.  No quarter given.  No apologies required.  Next time someone pipes up with a rant like that, report them.

Mind you, I spend more time pushing out towards the enemy than hanging out in large friendly groups of green planes, so it is lot easier to find multiple bad guys with no one engaging them.  Sometimes when you are really lucky you can have ten or more guys that want to kill you all to yourself!  Go to the largest red dar you can find and this will never happen to you again.

CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!