Author Topic: Arena Etiquette Confusion  (Read 6244 times)

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
Re: Arena Etiquette Confusion
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 05:42:17 PM »
In the mains, you kill them where you find them.  No quarter given.  No apologies required.  Next time someone pipes up with a rant like that, report them.

:bhead
-AoM-

Offline dbh991

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 05:56:15 PM »
In the many occasions when I was in a MA 1v1 and the *con's* team mate jumped in, no one asked me if it was "OK".  I just dealt with it.  No complaining.  Certainly no swearing.

Same deal when a team mate jumps in.  Many times this has happened.  Not once have I complained.  Some seem to think I should have.  I didn't and I won't though.  Often as not when my team mate jumped in it enabled *me* to get the kill.  Especially when my ride was inferior to the con's.  I appreciated the help.  But if my team mate got the kill then great.  I am a team player.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »

In the mains, you kill them where you find them.  No quarter given.  No apologies required.  Next time someone pipes up with a rant like that, report them.

Mind you, I spend more time pushing out towards the enemy than hanging out in large friendly groups of green planes, so it is lot easier to find multiple bad guys with no one engaging them.  Sometimes when you are really lucky you can have ten or more guys that want to kill you all to yourself!  Go to the largest red dar you can find and this will never happen to you again.

Everyone whines about being taken out of context in here then turns around and stabs the next poster in the back visa a choice of omitting context.

Shame on you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
  I am a team player.
It's easy then.... respect your team mate enough to ask him if he needs help first!  :aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
When debrody is on you should ask on 200 before killing anyone  :D
u talkin to me? u talkin to MEH?!?!? no way, pu*k!!!    re     spect,      walk
 :lol

happy new year Nuke!   :cheers:
AoM
City of ice

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2012, 07:46:18 PM »
In the many occasions when I was in a MA 1v1 and the *con's* team mate jumped in, no one asked me if it was "OK".  I just dealt with it.  No complaining.  Certainly no swearing.

Same deal when a team mate jumps in.  Many times this has happened.  Not once have I complained.  Some seem to think I should have.  I didn't and I won't though.  Often as not when my team mate jumped in it enabled *me* to get the kill.  Especially when my ride was inferior to the con's.  I appreciated the help.  But if my team mate got the kill then great.  I am a team player.
You asked about etiquette, but it seems more like you'd just like explain to everyone why you were in the right

Offline Daddkev

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2012, 08:09:58 PM »
 :huh :huh :huh Coming to help! let them say Yes or No!  :neener: :neener: :banana: :banana: :neener: :neener: :banana: :banana: :bhead :bhead
God Bless America
Go tell Momm, im flying! and make me a sandwich !
EvilKev

2012 68KO Cup 1st Place finisher

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
 :huh Man I'm sure glad I don't fly in LW, you people don't know what you want. :bolt:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
This is probably pretty wrong and he probably would've rather died than had someone ruin the fight for him.
When you get to a certain point getting kills isn't really a thrill and dieing really isn't a big deal. I would never assume someone is mad just because they died, unless they acted in a way that clearly demonstrates that.

The issue that you're having is kind of a disconnect I think. No one goes to the MA to find a 1v1. It's a pretty unrealistic expectation to have and the game would not be at all fun if you expected to find that on a regular basis.
However, by a serendipitous event, you occasionally find yourself alone with an enemy pilot of a similar skill level to you in the MA. It's not about seeking it, but it does happen. When you find this person and you engage them, and several minutes later you're still riding the stall, black out, flipping your plane around for that guns solution and he's doing the same... it's fun, and above that, you start to develop a certain respect for your opponent. Even if that sounds ridiculous, you can certainly appreciate fighting another skilled pilot man on man in the MA.
So, when, completely unexpectedly, you find yourself in this dogfight, and 7 minutes later you're still having that fight that makes your week, winning or losing, and some dork in a P51 blasts through at 400 mph and ends it in 5 seconds without asking it's pretty frustrating. Even if someone saves your bellybutton it can be, because at that point you really start to feel like your opponent deserves that kill.
Breaking up a 1v1 in a furball isn't a big deal, but when you see an isolated 1v1 you should really consider that those two might be having some fun at it and there may be several minutes of fun left. Lets face it, there's a lot of climbing and transit for this game for not a whole lot of action a lot of the time, so every moment of excitement is precious, and there are few things more exhilarating in this game (to a lot of people at least) than a spontaneous, hard fought 1v1.

Excellent description.  I completely agree.

- oldman

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:36 PM »
:huh Man I'm sure glad I don't fly in LW, you people don't know what you want. :bolt:

Right you are,  sir.    :)
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2012, 09:44:20 PM »

Lol, report them? Why, unless you report every bit of swearing you hear. If you don't, it boils down to you using their swearing as an excuse to report them, only because they struck a nerve when they call you a "f***ing gang-banging skilless tard". Really, whenever I see people trying to defend the hoarding, and the picking, all I see is a guilty conscience. "Expect it to happen, you're in the MA" only means "I feel like I have the right to interupt your fun", no more and no less.

In the many occasions when I was in a MA 1v1 and the *con's* team mate jumped in, no one asked me if it was "OK".  I just dealt with it.  No complaining.  Certainly no swearing.
This is ENTIRELY irrelevent. The con shouldn't have asked you before jumping in, he should have asked the other con. And the onus was on your first opponent to ask not to be interupted, it wasn't on you. To be honest, that you feel the need to say "look how well I handle things", especially when the situations aren't the same, or even comparable, makes me suspect you have a guilty conscience lurking somewhere as well.

And even if the situations were comparable, all it shows is that you haven't gotten to the point where you notice the scarcity of those truely good fights, and feel annoyed when they are cut short, and that you're a bit colder than most people. It doesn't say your method of opperation is better, it doesn't say that at all.

Same deal when a team mate jumps in.  Many times this has happened.  Not once have I complained.  Some seem to think I should have.  I didn't and I won't though.  Often as not when my team mate jumped in it enabled *me* to get the kill.  Especially when my ride was inferior to the con's.  I appreciated the help.  But if my team mate got the kill then great.  I am a team player.

And herein lies the crux of our discussion. Essentially we just have two conflicting points of view on what is most important. One group says its the fight itself, and more specifically the QUALITY of the fight that matters, with the outcome being meaningless. Then we have the opposite, where the outcome is primarily or entirely what matters, and how they reach that end does not factor into their thoughts.

Personally, I feel like you shouldn't form your opinion based on reading the opinions of others. You should try flying both ways for a good while, and decide on your own which is for you.

I will also say if you're in an inferior aircraft, and you're trying to shoot down as many red guys as possible, as quickly as possible, while 'helping your team', then you're trying to do it wrong. However, that you're flying inferior aircraft also give me some hope for you. You'll start improving, flying better, and lasting longer. You'll start recognizing the good fights from the average and the mediocre, and you'll appreciate them as such.

Lastly, if you want to be a team player, find a squadron to fly with, and make them your home. If you're furballing, or just out fighting, then the only purpose those 'teammates' of yours serve is to act as distractions, so that you can get a guns solution on that spitfire, and to keep you from being the only target for the enemy horde. To that end, they're interchangable, and when that happens in a group, its hard to call that group a team.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2012, 09:47:12 PM »
You asked about etiquette, but it seems more like you'd just like explain to everyone why you were in the right

Just guilty conscience, Motherland. But that he has a conscience to be bothered by guilt is encouraging, as it shows some part of him knows he could have acted better. He says he's flying inferior aircraft, and that to is encouraging.

Give him time, and positive experiences, and I expect he'll turn out all right.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2012, 10:02:09 PM »
After having fellow countrymen make bogus check six calls when I am hammering the enemy so they can swoop in and steal the kill, I gladly jump on a 1vs1.......unless I hear from them on range vox

It's only a keystroke away.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2012, 10:27:41 PM »
i always ask if i can jump into a 1 V 1, especially if its a team mate. they'll holler if they need help. theres nothing i hate worse then someone coming into my fight un-invited. people with common courtesy ask if they can jump in or if their help is needed. people without common courtesy, well, we already know what they are like. take the high road and ask, trust me its appreciated and it wont kill you. there are many that may disagree, but there are many that will appreciate it.

Offline Brakechk

• Copper Member
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2012, 11:47:49 PM »
This has been answered pretty well but here is my take....

If someone is working me over and winning...I'd just as soon let em kill me than have someone pop him.  That said there have been times I've asked for help..but usually its before the fight starts (gliding, almost gliding, no ammo....not able to fight for some reason).  It's sort of frustrating to work a fight for some time just to have someone pop the guy just before the fight is over (win or lose).  On the other hand when that happens I figure I need to work on gunnery, acm or both in order to end the fights quicker.

Since that's how I feel about it I usually ask before interrupting a fight.  I also figure if a red guy has 2 (or more) green guys on him they probably don't need rescuing.  I have also broke off a fight if I ask them not to jump in and they do it anyway.  On the other hand if someone asks for help 1v1 I'll almost always jump in.

Not everyone in the game shares these views and thats fine. Play how you want.  I can promise this...no matter how you play someone will not be happy with what your doing at some point or another.  These folks will sometimes let you know how they feel about how you play the game.  There isn't much you can do about it other than use the .squelch command. 

I try not to let this game frustrate me ... it's supposed to be fun and I'm definately not going to let some other person's ranting ruin my fun.  I'm not really sure why they would think I would care about their opinion in the first place....esp if they sound like a raving lunatic.   

Brakechk/Zaphod