Author Topic: Best Fighter-Attack Plane in the Attack Mode?  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Best Fighter-Attack Plane in the Attack Mode?
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 04:42:56 PM »
 The F4U is much like the Mustang but seems to handle the weight better in the model.  After the bomb drop the F4U gave me a good engagement with a zero.   I blew the flap extension and stalled it at the worse time.  If not I might have won that one.  A good choice if the target is hot with red guys.  The F4U is the best turn plane to me of the 1000 pound bomb planes albeit I need to work on the P38 from all that I have read.  The lack of rear view on the F6F keeps this out of the best fighter after the bomb drop.

I tried the Typhoon and I must say it is the escape artist of all the planes that can carry 1000 pound bombs.  Zoom out after the dive then up and over far enough out to come back into the fight at speed.  The only downside I can see is the inability to carry both bombs and rockets.

I am starting to see the strength of Mr. Forks reply.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
What is the current thinking on the best Fighter-Attack plane in the Attack mode?

I switch between two, the P47D-40 (ordnance mule, and it's 8x50s with plenty of ammo are very capable at any light weight cleanup) or 190A-8 (gun boat with a centerline 500/1000lb bomb, not the best for cracking the biggest and heavy targets, but an absolute meat grinder for medium to light targets).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 05:54:13 PM »
47 class, A5,A8

Maybe in MW the A5 is a practical choice, but in LW the A8 has more armor/durability and superior firepower.

I really hope the 190F series gets expanded someday soon.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »
I have learned a big lesson on the Typhoon.  If the radar circle of the enemy base you are going to doesn't touch or at least close to your home base radar circle, leave the Typhoon home.  The Typhoon is a fuel hog for sure.  The drop tanks seem to really slow it down as well as limit the number of rockets.

Now for a night using the F4U.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2013, 06:37:11 AM »
I would say F8,
Fast, F8 can dive to 600mph , can take a beating and deliver some ordnance.
if you want to kill tanks i would prefer the F8, to kill a town bombers to the work better anyways.
For me survivability is more important than just drop and die, like some squads seem do in here.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2013, 07:12:32 AM »
Real men fly the Stuka for ground attack. 

+1

I still love using ords in 47's etc. but man that 1800 MOAB is a BLAST!
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 07:20:34 AM »
 For me it is the P-51D hands down. It has a great bomb load speed and range. I can pork the ords at a large field with just two 500 pound bombs plus the 50 cals and fly home. It is hard to compless unlike the P-38 and you can fly the 51 like you stole it and it stays together. There is a reason the P-51 stayed in service into the 80s with some countries.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 12:27:16 PM »
I have learned a big lesson on the Typhoon.  If the radar circle of the enemy base you are going to doesn't touch or at least close to your home base radar circle, leave the Typhoon home.  The Typhoon is a fuel hog for sure.  The drop tanks seem to really slow it down as well as limit the number of rockets.
Throttle back and reduce RPM, it will make you go much much longer for a moderate loss of speed. Especially on the way back when you are not in a hurry. Save the full+WEP to the ingress and egress phases only and you can get a reasonable reach out of it.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs