Author Topic: night time  (Read 760 times)

Offline f35raptor

• Copper Member
night time
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
I would like to actually have a night sky in aces high. We have a full sun dusk and dawn but no night? Maby there was a reason it was taken out but i dont see why all the whiners get what they wan. Unless some one could explain why it was actually taken out

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
Re: night time
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:32:08 PM »
+10000000

There were night time raids in WWII, why not in game?  :D (I always wanted to use the 'it was in WWII so we should have it!!!!!!' line!)

But seriously, night time could make it so much more fun  :x
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:57:51 PM »
Because when we did have night time, the majority of the arena would log off and return when night time was over.  Also, of those that remained to fly during the night time period, a lot would just increase the gamma levels, so they could see as though it was day time. 

I think it also impacted business, it's not good to have a majority of the players log off because they didn't like a feature.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
Because when we did have night time, the majority of the arena would log off and return when night time was over.  Also, of those that remained to fly during the night time period, a lot would just increase the gamma levels, so they could see as though it was day time. 

I think it also impacted business, it's not good to have a majority of the players log off because they didn't like a feature.

ack-ack
aw  :cry That sucks, I think it could be fun. maybe even have it for like only 1 tour a year or something, I dunno lol
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
I'm not a computer programmer but...

Could they take a handful of sectors of a map and they have night time, the balance of the map would have our current status? Instead of logging because you don't like it you would simply up at another field.

Is this possible? I like the nightime as well.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 08:27:19 PM »
aw  :cry That sucks, I think it could be fun. maybe even have it for like only 1 tour a year or something, I dunno lol

I liked it and enjoyed flying around at night and was probably amongst the minority that didn't change gamma levels.  AH1 night, things looked pretty cool but after we got AH2, night looked awesome, especially when a CV was being attacked at night with all the tracers.  Also was cool flying close formation with another plane and being able to see the glow of their cockpit lights.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline TheMercinary60

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 08:29:53 PM »
Personally i would love to see it in game again. Im sad i didnt make it on christmas to take advantage of it again
Formally Merc flying with the 99th Blue Lagoon Bandits
I wish people would use the wish list forum to post their brilliant ideas, and be smart enough to not post all their stupid ones.

But I am under no disillusions of my wish ever being fulfilled.

HiTech - in response to davidwales

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 08:34:48 PM »
I liked it and enjoyed flying around at night and was probably amongst the minority that didn't change gamma levels.  AH1 night, things looked pretty cool but after we got AH2, night looked awesome, especially when a CV was being attacked at night with all the tracers.  Also was cool flying close formation with another plane and being able to see the glow of their cockpit lights.

ack-ack
That sounds awesome, imagine maybe even some CV lights, or landing lights?  :O :x

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 09:16:48 PM »
Flew a bit in the night this past Christmas eve. Hopped in a CV and snuck up on another CV and had an epic fight almost within spitting distance of each other.  :joystick:

Then flying later that night I lost a 262 because I collided with the lancs I was chasing. It was weird because you could not tell which way the lancs were heading. All you could see was the red icon and numbers and a general shape. Still fun though.

I'd be +1 to night time, but I also understand why we dont have it now.

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:31 PM »
+1 I want night its to awsome to not have
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:34:02 PM »
+1 I want night its to awsome to not have

it's really awesome above the arctic or antarctic circle..

Lets have it!

:uhoh

as long as all icons including friendly icons are off during the darkness, and killshooter is still on. :aok

« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:52:17 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:15:20 AM »
+1

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »
it makes it extremely difficult to track a con properly....I didn't like it for that reason alone.....it was cool and looks awesome...but I am here to fight not look at the pretty scenery.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 07:30:06 AM »
What AKAK said. It was an experiment that was tried and it failed miserably. Ya just can't see and because of this people left the arena in droves whenever it happened. It was tried for the same reason you might think--people asked for it. But in a very short time pretty much those same people were saying--yeah this does kinda suck doesn't it? So it stopped. I see no reason to repeat that cycle, filed under "been there--done that".

If ya just HAVE to have night, I suggest you make a custom arena, turn out the lights and wait for like minded guys to show up. I predict a low turnout tho. Sayin.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »
Done right, night works just fine. I've done night custom arenas before and made it so it looks like a bright full moon and there was no problem seeing the ground (features, objects, water, etc.) or other players (planes and icons).

Like has been said before, it's not for everyone. Many people have low-end rigs with all the graphic options turned down just so they have acceptable frame rates to play the game, and they might not have the same experience in a nighttime arena as people with higher graphics settings. It would be unfair to force it upon everyone.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals