Author Topic: Overclocking & vid card temp  (Read 1231 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Overclocking & vid card temp
« on: January 08, 2013, 11:08:53 PM »
Hey all, I've installed a new video card. Man, what a difference, now I can really appreciate the work HTC has put into the game.

So, I have a ASUS GTX560 DirectCuII OC 1GB 850MHz.  There is a program that allows me to watch the temperature closely and overclock. I haven't found a reference to "DO NOT" exceed yadayada temperature.

If you could please provide me with a range of temperature(s) where I go from caution to DEFCON 3,2,1...  

Don't want to burn it up...

TIA,

Rot
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Overclocking & vid card temp
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:00:52 AM »
it's normally around 100 c, but it will shutdown before it reaches that temp,  hopefully.   unless you overclock and mess with it,  assuming you have good airflow and you don't have puter next to a heat source it won't get near max temp.

In a game it will be around 50 to 70 c. and sometimes as high as 80.   mine stays in the low 70's with no problems.  And  around 50 just browsing.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 12:17:13 AM »
Oops... nevermind.  You meant GPU's.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:00:43 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 12:51:41 AM »
WIth the video cards, temperature usually isnt the main limiting factor, especially when you have a DirectCUII - more likely the chip's physical limits. Usually 10-15% can be reached at stock voltages, maybe 20% with some overvoltage (+0.1-0.15V), above that you are likely to reduce the card's life cycle even when the temperaures are not horrible.

Anyway, try not to push it above 90 celsius.
AoM
City of ice

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:14:39 AM »
About 60deg celcius is the most it has reached. So if 90 celcius is trouble I'm far from that.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 01:33:47 AM »
You are good to go then  :aok
Just be careful, do not damage your card by overvoltage.

Still, there are no wonders. A 15%+ is some great result, still, 30 vs 35FPS isnt that much of a difference.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:35:45 AM by Debrody »
AoM
City of ice

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 01:06:13 PM »
Today my frps has been really bad, don't know if it might be related to the map Tagma, or something else. With the new card I have I have not been having anything of the sort of fr drops like today, it was down to 14 for a moment, but bouncing back n forth all day depending on what I was doing. Sometimes going between the tower and hangar it was going down in the 20's, other times in a gv it was in the 30's...

Then at one point it seemed to stabilize back to the 59 that it was at for the first few days after I installed it...

Any thoughts there?

TIA,

:salute

Rot

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 01:18:07 PM »
According to XFX, in their "CARD_HOT.pdf" guide...

"The normal temperature range of a video card is up to 95 C under load.  We expect that in most cases a card will not break the high 80s but large cards under high load can get as hot as 95 C.  This temperature will not damage your video card and is considered normal..."

They also suggest using the GPU-Z utility from over at TechPowerUp if you need to check the temperature of your video card.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 02:05:47 PM »
From my experience, some maps are much harder on frames-per-second than others, although I can't remember right at this moment which ones are particularly bad.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »
Sorry for the continual noob q's here... so if I overclock the card as much as possible, and I don't break say 75deg Celcius then there is little likelyhood that the card will get damaged from heat?

Thanks,

Rot

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
Sorry for the continual noob q's here... so if I overclock the card as much as possible, and I don't break say 75deg Celcius then there is little likelyhood that the card will get damaged from heat?

Thanks,

Rot

it's not really like you can, but more like do you need to overclock the card. the card wont get damaged until it hits in the high 90's but most likely you will get errors way before then as video cards/ram/cpu there's a limit to how much you can overclock and it is not limited by heat but by design.

for example my cpu is a 2500k 3.3ghz and I can overclock it to 4.9 with no problems as it barely hits 55 degrees at that speed anything above that and I get a bunch of errors and computer crashes but the temp never even gets close to 65 and the max temp is also about 100.  my gpus (I have sli evga 465)  I can also oc about 15% as that is the max I can do on one but the other gpu can do about 20% neither one of them gets close to 95 degrees.

perhaps somebody else will correct me or explain it a little better.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 11:12:16 PM »
Semp is spot on.

The last chip i have seen being heavily limited by the heat was the Prescott-cored Pentium-4.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 11:12:24 AM »
It's a time consuming operation to do right too. Just throwing a bunch of settings at a card without testing them is a recipe for a crispy card. Start low and move up--slowly. I use a Afterburner to tweak my settings, Furmark to test and AIDA64 to monitor temps, etc. GPU-Z works for that too.

The temps are important but as others have posted you can start to have issues with things like tearing or even artifacts long before the heat gets too high. Best to take it in tiny increments bumping it up a notch after each test run. Watch the screen closely, find where the problems (stupid little glitches that shouldn't be there) start cropping up and then back it off a few notches and take that as your card's max. In the end it's only gonna do what it's gonna do. There's no forcing electronics like that without damaging them and once that's done--it's done, so be patient. Good video cards are expensive.

All this will vary from card to card and from rig to rig. So many variables like CPU, mobo, PSU, what you're cooling the card with, what you're cooling your case with. It goes on and on. Test, test, test. Go slow.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 01:23:18 PM »
Earlier last year when I was having problems with the video cards that were put into my machine against my wishes, I spent a fair amount of time talking to XFX about their video cards and the effects that heat had on them, their (the techs) experiences with overclocking them, and a hoist of scenarios.

The biggest key that I was told was airflow, airflow, and more airflow.  If your case can not get airflow into that card, then if it does hit higher tempo ranges under load, it will not be able to cool down.  This leads to the obvious, thermal shutdown. 

My computer setup had a further issue as it had 2 6970's in crossfire set up.  The set up of the machine, while very clean, simply did not allow for enough air to enter into the case to cool everything inside.  There was a self contained liquid cooling set up for the CPU, and between that and the rest of the normal set up, they simply could not stay cool after continued load.

This is where I finally got into a "frank" discussion with one of the techs, and while he said he could not recommend it, he mentioned that his cards in his gaming case were all liquid cooled, and the performance was night and day.  Since that discussion, I went a bit over the top and really liquid cooled the hell out of my machine.  Now, it has the correct XFX cards, they are liquid cooled, and it runs very well.  I have never had a performance issue from heat since the day I set it all up and got it running properly. 

Keep in mind, that liquid cooling can be expensive, and usually voids your warranty.  Do not buy "gently used" parts, it is a waste of money and time as they will have some issue, sooner or later.  Lastly, get a good monitoring system to set up with it and monitor temperatures, I use a Koolance CTR CD-12 that montitors everything and will shut down the system if a problem arises (like a gently used pump failing or a "like new" radiator springs a leak) it audibly warns you and shuts the system down.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 02:07:58 PM »
Hey all, I've installed a new video card. Man, what a difference, now I can really appreciate the work HTC has put into the game.

So, I have a ASUS GTX560 DirectCuII OC 1GB 850MHz.  There is a program that allows me to watch the temperature closely and overclock. I haven't found a reference to "DO NOT" exceed yadayada temperature.

If you could please provide me with a range of temperature(s) where I go from caution to DEFCON 3,2,1...  

Don't want to burn it up...

TIA,

Rot

I am wondering why you buy the wrong tool for the job in the first place?   I just replaced Crossfired Juniper XT's (5770's) with an XFX 7850.   Running all games at Max Settings pegged at 60hz, with a Stock clocked E8400.   

Also, if you don't have a Case without adequate airflow to begin, you're only making more problems for yourself.  If you don't have one, or not sure, I suggest you stop.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC