Author Topic: Torpedoes  (Read 371 times)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Torpedoes
« on: January 14, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
Does anyone have a list of the types of torpedoes we have in game, preferably with their specs/drop parameters?

I finally got the Iron Shark achievement from hitting a CV with a torpedo... I've hit them a few times before, but not since achievements came in.

I really enjoy the challenge, and would like to know more about our in-game torpedoes and how they stack up to their real-world counterparts historically.

I always drop below 100 feet and below 200 indicated, whether German/Japanese/or American (Though I have only successfully torpedoed with the PT Boat regarding American torpedoes.)

Other questions:

1.  Is any given torpedo available to us more effective than others?

2.  How many torp hits does it take to SINK a CV?  What about CL, DD?

3.  Does it matter where you hit, aside from killing guns, etc?

Thanks in advance!
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
Re: Torpedoes
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »
Torpedo info: http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/torpedoes/torpedoes.htm

Summary:
One slow (US) torpedo does 4,000 lbs. of damage.
One fast (Axis) torpedo does 3,520 lbs. of damage.

Sinking cruisers and destroyers requires 2,000 lbs. of damage, so one torpedo of any type will sink an undamaged cruiser or destroyer.
Sinking a CV requires 8,000 lbs., so two slow torpedoes will sink an undamaged CV. Three fast torpedoes will sink an undamaged CV.

I always use the TBM, so it's under 200 feet under 250MPH. But under 200 feet under 200 MPH will work on all torpedo planes, so it's a handy rule of thumb.

I don't have a lot of success but generally I'll wait for the auto-ack to start firing at me, wait a few seconds and drop the torpedo and try to egress so I can dogfight a little.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 01:35:56 PM »
You can check CLICK HERE! for just about all the info you should need on torpedoes in the game.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 01:49:12 PM »
Delicious, both of you'ns!

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.