Author Topic: M8 vs Tiger 88mm AP  (Read 573 times)

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
M8 vs Tiger 88mm AP
« on: January 25, 2013, 07:30:37 PM »
Earlier today while a was Fighting in the Battle Of the Bulge Event a found an M8 shoot at medium range my field when i finally shot him I saw the flash that told me a hit him but the M8 kept driving  Can someone explain this to me (and no i do not have the Film i forget to save them)
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
Re: M8 vs Tiger 88mm AP
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:33:23 PM »
You probably hit him right square in the .50 cal or in one of the 6 tires he has. You'll rip off one or two if you hit them but it wont kill him. I hit a M3 in the front right tire with a Tiger 1 and he only lost that tire and his engine. Strange sight but not unheard of.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:35:50 PM »
My problem is it hit him dead in the frount   :headscratch:

He who must not be named

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 07:36:06 PM »
Do you have the film?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
The explanation I hear most often is, the round went clean through, without exploding
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 07:14:56 AM »
Do you have the film?
no my bad habit is never saving them

The explanation I hear most often is, the round went clean through, without exploding
to add in a AvA the same day an M8 killed my M4 so it may have to do with its new model i guess

He who must not be named

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »

Which can happen.  If the AP round hits the target in an area that is not critical then it can mean no "critical" damage was done.

Also... FYI for everyone... I STRONGLY suggest to not ever take %100 AP ammo for your tanks, ever. The next time you see that M3, M8, M18, jeep, or other such soft skinned gv's fire an HE round instead of an AP round.  With en HE round you do not need to have a direct hit to damage it or even destroy it.  This is especially true when they are moving to a flank. A near miss with en HE round will disable *something* and render it a non-threat.  I bet since the M18 has hit AH, I bet %75 of the ones I've destroyed have been with HE rounds. Trust me.  Use HE against the lighter skinned gvs', if you miss yet are still close enough at minimum you will damage their engine, bust a track, blow tires, or better yet disable their main gun. If by change you hit the fast mover/soft skinned gv you WILL destroy it without question regardless of where you hit it. The same can not be said for AP rounds.

So again, I highly suggest to NOT take %100 AP ammo.  Take the smallest amount of HE and use them against soft skinned gv's.  For those of you worried about running out of ammo... dont be. It will be very rare that you either run completely out of ammo and/or you cant get someone to bring you gv supplies.   ;) 
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
to add in a AvA the same day an M8 killed my M4 so it may have to do with its new model i guess
The M8 can kill a Tiger 1. Its not surprising to see it kill an M4.

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:37 AM »
The M8 can kill a Tiger 1. Its not surprising to see it kill an M4.

I have never seen an M8 kill a Tiger.  Its just NOT going to happen.  M18 Yes...  M8...no....not Solo.  Rear Tiger armour is as thick as front M4 Armour.  You need film to prove that.   I have been driving the M8 for years and never had a round penetrate from an M8 round at any range.  Including point blank from the 6 o'clock. 

I have had Tiger rounds bounce off the hood of an M3....and in the old days....you used to be able to drive M3s INSIDE a Tiger and shoot the driver.  And you used to be able to kill a Tiger with just the machine gun on an M3.  LOL.  Those were the days....hiding in bombed oil tanks...or Inside of hills.

Softail

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »

I have never seen an M8 kill a Tiger.  Its just NOT going to happen.  M18 Yes...  M8...no....not Solo.  Rear Tiger armour is as thick as front M4 Armour.  You need film to prove that.   I have been driving the M8 for years and never had a round penetrate from an M8 round at any range.  Including point blank from the 6 o'clock. 

I have had Tiger rounds bounce off the hood of an M3....and in the old days....you used to be able to drive M3s INSIDE a Tiger and shoot the driver.  And you used to be able to kill a Tiger with just the machine gun on an M3.  LOL.  Those were the days....hiding in bombed oil tanks...or Inside of hills.

Softail

Clearly you haven't seen me do it.

Here's the film. Did it offline with one of the drones, don't mind the auto ack. That doesn't damage the tank.
http://www.mediafire.com/?y8paumfcup6iz6v

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »

Softail

The M8 can kill the tiger easy from side or from the back. Takes 5-6 hits to the correct spot.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »

I have never seen an M8 kill a Tiger.  Its just NOT going to happen.  M18 Yes...  M8...no....not Solo.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ebbjk9pmhol72qx
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:35:45 AM »
Tell ya what....next time I am online....shout out to me....I will up a tiger...you up an M8....You have 10 shots.  Kill me.

As for the video....got it on a site that doesn't require and exe file downloaded to get it?  Cause that link aint workin for me.

AKSofty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 11:37:33 AM »
Tell ya what....next time I am online....shout out to me....I will up a tiger...you up an M8....You have 10 shots.  Kill me.

As for the video....got it on a site that doesn't require and exe file downloaded to get it?  Cause that link aint workin for me.

:headscratch: It's just a simple download, no exe file involved at all
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 10:12:06 AM »
As was mentioned already in this thread......always carry a small load out of HE rounds.
Jeeps, m-8's, m-3's, storchs, m-18's, and bomb toads all go down with an HE round.  :D :D
You can disable the m-8 by bouncing the HE round near his tires. Works like a charm. Pivot your Tiger to keep your front armor toward the M-8 and he is no threat. Machine gun him before you deliver the 88mm LOL.

Good hunting!

Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)