Author Topic: A C47 with real kills.  (Read 3697 times)

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
A C47 with real kills.
« on: February 04, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »
Was doing some research on a C47 the museum I belong to will be getting and found a very short insert from a book about another plane that was in the same troop carrier squad.

The c47 in question was 43-16389, named Stuka Chaser. After reading this small clip I serched online for a better brief and found this:

Long story short, on May 9th, 1945 the crew was flying a resupply mission from their hospital base @ A-28, S.E. of Paris to R-26 hospital near Hannover. Someone decided it would be 'fun' to fly into Czechoslovakia to add to their collective 'Short Snorter' bills. En route they encountered a 12 seat German twin engined transport, they flew up alongside and poked 1911 COLTS and a THOMPSON Machine Gun out the window ports and cargo door and forced the German to fly back to their hospital field, where there were no guns, to score some 'war booty'. The ground echelons stripped the airplane of everything 'neat' before 389 could land and taxi in. The crew decided to see if they could do it again and took off, they soon encountered a flight of 5 STUKAS and performed the same 'Chicago style' hijacking back to base. The crew quickly painted 'STUKA CHASER' and 6 SWASTIKAS on the left side nose in white along with the other parachutes,gliders, and cargo bundle mission markers.

Thought it was interesting. Though not technically kills, it might as well be. The first clip I read said this was the only C47 that ever had kills painted on the fuselage in th ETO.
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: A C47 with real kills.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 11:10:47 PM »
 :lol We have to have that skin in the game now. Do you have any pics of this bird by chance?
Lighten up Francis

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:39 PM »
:lol We have to have that skin in the game now. Do you have any pics of this bird by chance?

Just what I was about to say.  Dang skippy this one needs to be included. :rock
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 11:39:51 PM »

« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 11:44:05 PM by lyric1 »

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »
Awesome Lyric.  :aok
Lighten up Francis

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
it is a good thing it was towards the end of the war when the germans were surrendering by the hundreds of thousands.  had it been the year before the c47 would have been another allied airplane lost.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 12:20:01 AM »
We have the C47A in the game. I wonder if the powers to be would even allow this skin seeing as how the Stuka Chaser is a C47B.  :headscratch:
Lighten up Francis

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 12:33:10 AM »
We have the C47A in the game. I wonder if the powers to be would even allow this skin seeing as how the Stuka Chaser is a C47B.  :headscratch:

It will be fine. :aok
Found an old magazine I just ordered from 1986 about this aircraft says it has illustrations as well?

Article was written by the pilot.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 12:34:44 AM by lyric1 »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 12:35:24 AM »
The stukas had several machineguns and would have promptly shot the C47 down on sight. It was not a kill it was accepting surrender.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 12:45:42 AM »
Surrender or not the traditional definition accounted for forcing an aircraft down, so it counts.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 01:05:55 AM »
Someone post this in the Skins forum as a request please!! :pray
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:55 AM »
Surrender or not the traditional definition accounted for forcing an aircraft down, so it counts.

It was not forcing if the other side voluntarily followed their orders. The Stuka had ample firepower and manouverability to shoot down a C47 even singlehanded.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
This potentially could be the dumbest argument yet.

Going to make a time machine and go back and make the crew scrub those kill markings off?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:07 AM »
This potentially could be the dumbest argument yet.

Going to make a time machine and go back and make the crew scrub those kill markings off?

It's a historical fact that uncormed kills were rewarded to buff crews as morale boosters. I see nothing dissimilar with this.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 10:06:17 AM »
The reason the German air crews surrendered is irrelevant. The fact is they surrendered to this C-47 and that is considered a victory. How many guns and of what caliber the Stukas had is of no matter because they decided not to use them.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."