Author Topic: looking at a new computer  (Read 8637 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: looking at a new computer
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2013, 09:04:02 AM »
I determined the CPU is going bad because it keeps overheating and shutting down even with a new fan and PSU. Could be something else, but I don't care because I've got a new computer on the way.

Thanks, looks like you've spotted the culprit. A used CPU of the same make seems to be around $20 at Ebay, probably about the same at your local shop if they have one. Not too much for testing if you were in need for a second computer for lesser needs.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
RiplEy, I would take you seriously, but to do so would be an affront to your intelligence.  Whatever your supposed expertise in computers, you need some help in reading comprehension.  I do use win8 - my wife's laptop, remember?  Of course 8 is a different OS, I am discussing why I prefer 7 - in my experience.  Outside of a touch screen environment, the user interface of 8 is awful.  If it weren't so bad, there would be no reason for add-ons or tweaks to make the user interface "just like 7."  That is my point - get it?  I also researched 7 and 8 before getting my OS. Did 8 offer any benefits over 7 that made living with 8 worth the aggravation?  For what I need, it does not.  I do not want to pay Microsoft to be a beta user and test their new OS.  I would rather get one that works fine, has all the bugs worked out and a user interface designed for the desktop environment.   If you want to be a Microsoft fanboy, go right ahead. But dismissing other's criticisms without taking the time to understand what that criticism is does not advance your cause.

One day I'm an Apple fanboy then the next Microsoft lol. What next?  :D

By your own words you don't use Win8 - your wife does. So you probably havent spent enough time to familiarize yourself with the new interface and that's why you feel irritated by it. It's understandable. But it will pass. And if it won't there's always startisback etc. little helpers.

Win8 is a perfectly fine operating system so nobody should start pulling hair off their heads if the new computer is going to come with it preinstalled.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »
By my own words I do use Win8.  It's that reading comprehension thing again.  We have it on my wife's laptop.  I use hers as well as my desktop.  In fact, I have had to learn how to use it so I can help her use it.  So I am quite familiar with it.  Don't worry, as you read more, you'll familiarize yourself with the English language and be better able to comprehend it.    :devil

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
By my own words I do use Win8.  It's that reading comprehension thing again.  We have it on my wife's laptop.  I use hers as well as my desktop.  In fact, I have had to learn how to use it so I can help her use it.  So I am quite familiar with it.  Don't worry, as you read more, you'll familiarize yourself with the English language and be better able to comprehend it.    :devil

It wouldn't be called your wifes laptop if you were using it. Period.  :D

The fact that you haven't yet learned how simple Win8 really is to use shows clearly that you haven't spent any time with it. You're just like a typical Mac hater who hates out of ignorance. Of course everything alien to you seems crappy untill you learn how it works - and then it can be excellent like in Macs case.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2013, 02:18:00 PM »
Wow, I typed that last as slowly as I could in hopes it would help you with the comprehension issues.  Guess not.  Good luck!   :salute

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2013, 03:42:22 AM »
Wow, I typed that last as slowly as I could in hopes it would help you with the comprehension issues.  Guess not.  Good luck!   :salute

Thanks for omitting yourself to defeat by resorting to personal attacks.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
Thanks for omitting yourself to defeat by resorting to personal attacks.

omg this is funny since you are the one who started the personal attacks on those who disagreed with you.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2013, 11:56:32 AM »
omg this is funny since you are the one who started the personal attacks on those who disagreed with you.

midway

Whut? Like where?

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2013, 06:04:44 PM »
Lol.  Calling you on deliberate misreading of my replies is a personal attack?  Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 06:24:19 PM by dhaus »

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2013, 02:15:41 AM »
well since you fix other people's computers by definition you dont use them and since you already admitted you only use win8 to press a button to play a game then you dont know  win8.  if you had taken the time to really get to know win8 then you would give us an objective view of it as a gaming platform despite the big annoyance that it is.

if you still disagree list the technical reasons why win8 is so much better than win7, but  that wont be easy considering that by your own standards you dont know win8.  if you had taken the time to really get to know win8 then you would have given us an objective view of it as a gaming platform instead of being the annoyance that you have been.

midway

Hahahaha is that the best you can come up with? I already explained I'm studying Win8 for work purposes and the said usage scenario is how I use it at home.

List technical problems with Win8 which make it worse than Win7. Waiting...

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 02:38:10 AM »
Hahahaha is that the best you can come up with? I already explained I'm studying Win8 for work purposes and the said usage scenario is how I use it at home.

List technical problems with Win8 which make it worse than Win7. Waiting...

too many clicks.

midway
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 03:38:37 AM »
too many clicks.

midway

First of all that's not true and second that's not a technical reason, that's a user interface issue. Still waiting...

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
I would say that to many clicks could be technical..  i mean they could technically make it to where there are less clicks.  You dodged his question ripely..
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »
I would say that to many clicks could be technical..  i mean they could technically make it to where there are less clicks.  You dodged his question ripely..

No I didn't. He dodged my question by trying to turn the question to me. I never made any claim whatsoever that Win8 was better than Win7 (except for the 40 dollar price then) so he was grasping straws. My claim is that Win8 is essentially the same with Win7 when UI is left out, these two are trying to claim Win8 is not. Therefore it's their job to now explain which technical problems would stop anyone from using Win8 as a gaming machine successfully. I know they're very silent now because they can't find any data to back up their claim. They're just repeating the BS they've read from different FUD spreading trolls.

How many clicks here or there are not technical questions, they're a user interface design question. And besides as I said, Win8 does not require any more clicks compared to Win7. Win7 required more clicks compared to XP but that's a whole another issue :)

Windows 8 may feel at first that it's harder to use, before you learn to use the new interface. After you learn it it's just as easy if not easyer than the old one.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:05:05 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
Your question was or looked to be directed to dhaus.  Midway answered yours with clicks.  He asked you a question and you dodged it..
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek