Author Topic: Lusches AH Stats Megathread  (Read 88274 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Lusches AH Stats Megathread
« Reply #240 on: June 17, 2013, 01:06:22 PM »
I'm seeing some a few things that seem counterintuitive...

The P-51D's KTD, despite being possibly the newb ride. I'd be interested to know what percentage of pilots flying the P-51D have an overall KTD greater than 1; it seems either the newbs are getting better, or more vets are taking the pony out for a spin.

The A8 has a higher KTD than the A5, despite being inferior at typical combat altitudes in just about every measurable paramater. Its useage can be explained by the fact that it has better guns, and that 8>5 and therefore the A8 must be better  :banana: :rock :banana:.

The 190F8 appears to be in the top half of fighters based on the numbers, which seems odd, given the fact that its about as agile as a school bus, and doesn't account for that great of a percentage of air to ground kills.

In general, there appears to be a loose correlation between useage and KTD. Whether its the useage affecting the KTD (and one would think that the more Joe Derp gets behind the stick, the lower the KTD would go), or if the higher KTD fighters draw more playes, I'm not in a position to say. Lusche, can we get a trendline put in?

Just a few other things I noticed, the P-47M has pretty much entirely replaced the P-47D-40, which is a bit suprising to me, since I've always kind of felt they were inferior as pure fighters. I mean while I know theres a few sticks out there that can make them shine, they were always near the bottom of my threat assesment list.

Also, the P-38L seems to be kind of a crappy fighter, just based on its possition on the chart, while the near identicle P-38J has close-ish to the same useage, but has a KTD greater than 2, instead of less than .75. Just illustrates how big of a difference in the overall numbers that a relative few good pilots can make.

P.S., You made a typo, the Spit 8 (presumably the Spit 8, anyway) is listed as the Spit 7 on your graph.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:08:10 PM by Tank-Ace »
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #241 on: June 17, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »

Also, the P-38L seems to be kind of a crappy fighter, just based on its possition on the chart, while the near identicle P-38J has close-ish to the same useage, but has a KTD greater than 2, instead of less than .75. Just illustrates how big of a difference in the overall numbers that a relative few good pilots can make.

I chalk it up to how the P-38L is used compared to the P-38J.  The P-38L seems to be used more in the A2G role, with A2A being secondary after the ordnance has been dropped, while the P-38J is used primarily in the A2A with it rarely being used in the A2G role.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #242 on: June 17, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »
Tank-Ace,

Why would the P-47M be inferior as a dogfighter?  It is basically the ultimate dogfighting P-47.  Are you conflating it with the P-47N?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #243 on: June 17, 2013, 02:13:45 PM »
I chalk it up to how the P-38L is used compared to the P-38J.  The P-38L seems to be used more in the A2G role, with A2A being secondary after the ordnance has been dropped, while the P-38J is used primarily in the A2A with it rarely being used in the A2G role.

ack-ack

Hard to imagine people are that hung up over rockets. I mean the P-38 just seems.... misused... with air to ground as the first thing in your mind. Really, it just seems a bit like loading a bomb on a 109, and planning on dogfighting later on; you can if you want to, but why?

Tank-Ace,

Why would the P-47M be inferior as a dogfighter?  It is basically the ultimate dogfighting P-47.  Are you conflating it with the P-47N?

I meant P-47's in general. I've been killed by them before, yes, but I can't think of one single time where it was the plane beating me, and not the pilot.

The P-47M suprised me, because I pretty much figured the Jugs were used with air to ground as the main focus in ~75% of the cases. But it eclipsed every other P-47 almost instantly, despite not carrying a single rocket or bomb.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #244 on: June 17, 2013, 02:19:17 PM »
Hard to imagine people are that hung up over rockets. I mean the P-38 just seems.... misused... with air to ground as the first thing in your mind. Really, it just seems a bit like loading a bomb on a 109, and planning on dogfighting later on; you can if you want to, but why?

The rocket tube launchers on the P-38J (and P-38G) have a significant negative impact on the performance of the P-38J/G, as the increased drag effects maneuverability as opposed to the Christmas tree launcher on the P-38L which has a minimum effect on maneuverability.  I never take rockets on the P-38J because of the hit it takes on maneuverability from the rocket tubes, if I want to do A2G work I'll take the P-38L instead so after I drop, I'm clean enough to engage in A2A.

ack-ack

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #245 on: June 17, 2013, 02:23:58 PM »
The rocket tube launchers on the P-38J (and P-38G) have a significant negative impact on the performance of the P-38J/G, as the increased drag effects maneuverability as opposed to the Christmas tree launcher on the P-38L which has a minimum effect on maneuverability.  I never take rockets on the P-38J because of the hit it takes on maneuverability from the rocket tubes, if I want to do A2G work I'll take the P-38L instead so after I drop, I'm clean enough to engage in A2A.

ack-ack

In my hands, at least, I find the J preferable in A2A engagements.  I'm by no means a 38 guru, but is that all in my head, or do they handle quite a bit differently?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #246 on: June 17, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
In my hands, at least, I find the J preferable in A2A engagements.  I'm by no means a 38 guru, but is that all in my head, or do they handle quite a bit differently?

Wiley.

There really is no handling difference between the J and the L, other than the L being "more snappy" in the roll at high speeds due to the hydraulic boosted ailerons.  If it wasn't for the fact that the 479th flew P-38Js in the war, the P-38L would be my regular ride.

ack-ack

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #247 on: June 17, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »

ack-ack

Strange, you would think that the chrismas tree launcher on the wings and away from the fusealage would be a bigger effect on aerodynamics. Of course I haven't had an aerodynamics class yet, just basic fluid mechanics in my physics class, so I'm not the best judge.

Do you happen to know exactly why the tube launchers were so much more detrimental?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 17, 2013, 03:01:41 PM »
I'm glad nobody noticed it so far... but the "Spit 7" in that last graph is actually the "Spit 8"  :o
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 17, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »

To underline that with another stat:

Deaths to GV's and all kind of manned acks in % of all deaths of that plane in the current year:

P-38G 9.2%
P-38J 10.6%
P-38L 22.1%

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
Strange, you would think that the chrismas tree launcher on the wings and away from the fusealage would be a bigger effect on aerodynamics. Of course I haven't had an aerodynamics class yet, just basic fluid mechanics in my physics class, so I'm not the best judge.

Do you happen to know exactly why the tube launchers were so much more detrimental?

These are the bazooka rocket launchers that are mounted on the P-38G and P-38J we have in game.  With this rocket launcher, the P-38G/J are a little on the sluggish side when maneuvering due to the drag caused by the bazooka tubes.

This is the Christmas-tree style rocket launchers (for HVAR rockets) used on the P-38L and some late model P-38Js.  Once the rockets were fired off, the Christmas-tree launchers didn't cause significant drag like the bazooka tubes did and it didn't impact maneuverability like the bazooka tubes.

Some P-38Ls (don't know what block models) came equipped with wing mounted launchers instead of the Christmas-Tree style launcher, further minimizing effects of drag of the rocket launchers. 

ack-ack
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 07:57:36 PM by Ack-Ack »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 19, 2013, 07:32:40 AM »
Silly statistic of the day  :banana:

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #252 on: June 19, 2013, 07:38:56 AM »
Silly statistic of the day  :banana:

(Image removed from quote.)

:aok love that, perhaps we have that as a regular post.
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 19, 2013, 07:41:12 AM »
:aok love that, perhaps we have that as a regular post.

One could argue that most stats & charts from me are kinda "silly".  :noid

At least by the amount of time I had put into it  :lol

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 19, 2013, 02:55:05 PM »
Fighter A2A performance by country

As usual, X-axis is 'success' in terms of K/D, Y-axis shows 'usage' in terms of kills+deaths. Non perked planes only, charts based on A2A data exclusively.

However, keep in mind that it still has impact on a planes K/D if it's heavily used as a strike aircraft. It is not only a result of the actual performance or theoretical A2A capability of a plane.

You wonder why all countries have K/D > 1? Well, there are bombers in game... ;)