Author Topic: No Rudder and Live to Tell Achievement  (Read 581 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
No Rudder and Live to Tell Achievement
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »
Can an achievement be added for ditching (or landing) after flying a completely rudderless plane down succesfuly?  I've done this a couple times in a 190 for a succesful ditch, it is doable and it is definetley a helluva challenge, involving a healthy pinch of luck (from the enemy not finishing you off to avoiding any trees).
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
Re: No Rudder and Live to Tell Achievement
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
Rudderless escape? That's not too hard. I think you meant elevators being gone and landing it. If that's the case then we already have that achievement. (I think.)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 12:22:45 AM »
I think Babs is talking about loss of the vertical stab(s). And in some planes its possible to fly for ages and fight without it, in others its a quick trip down.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »
I think Babs is talking about loss of the vertical stab(s). And in some planes its possible to fly for ages and fight without it, in others its a quick trip down.

Rudderless escape? That's not too hard. I think you meant elevators being gone and landing it. If that's the case then we already have that achievement. (I think.)

I like the name, but perhaps I should of been clearer, missing your rudder(s) AND vertical stab(s).  No rudder but with your vert stab is quite controlable.

I agree it's "easier" to control in some planes over others, but I can't think of a very "easy" one in which you loose it.  The trick is also to not completely depart from controlled flight after loosing it, doing so is almost certain to be unrecoverable, and being actively shot at makes this even harder.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Letalis

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:06 PM »
What about a "secondary flight controls" achievement? (Land an aircraft without any primary flight control surfaces)  For example, on one of my first B-29 sorties I went into a dive and promptly discovered that all my flight controls didn't like that airspeed.  Fortunately I also found that the that the rudder, aileron and elevator trims still exerted some slight control authority.  I was unable to get the nose up at first so I dumped the bombload and hoped for the best.  I eventually leveled out at 5k over enemy territory and warded off a couple would-be opportunists.  Autopilot would not hold level. I then set myself up for a 15 miles straight in to the nearest friendly field.  By using differential engine power, and toggling flaps (still functional),landing gear and even the bomb bay doors (which apparently do factor into the aerodynamic modeling) I managed a landing just right of centerline and saved the perks.  That was probably my most achievement worthy landing of all time and couldn't help but think of it when I saw this post. 

NEVER underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
-http://despair.com/demotivators.html

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.” -Einstein