Author Topic: Ki-43 opinions?  (Read 4389 times)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
Re: Ki-43 opinions?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2013, 06:32:48 PM »
I prefer to find my own fights 1v1 or v2 not gang those already engaged.

<S>...-Gixer

Who said gang those already engaged? I would fight 1 v many in a Ki-43. That little Ki gives the LW monsters fits trying to hit you and its fun to keep rolling and diving hearing the next pony scream pass, guns blazing only to hit a tree that you just swung around.

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25:36 AM »
I LOVE IT.

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »
On some maps, with mountains, where it's possible to trap enemy cons at the "bottom of the barrel" so to speak, the Ki-43 is superb.  The day it was released I did just that and downed a P-39 and a P-38 and an F4U.  Had an epic dogfit with another P-38 that lasted for nearly 5 minutes.  Can't remember who the pilot was, but he could really haul that lightning around at low-levels.  Didn't help that I had to keep dodging passes made by his fellows.  Great fun however.

Nevertheless, the Oscar seems a bit squirrely to me.  I've found myself flying into unexpected spins which are difficult if not impossible to come out of.  This doesn't seem right, because I've not had that sort of problem with any other aircraft that I've flown in game.  With its extremely low wing loading dangerous spins shouldn't be a problem.

Anybody else having that problem?

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 10:50:34 AM »
Anybody else having that problem?

It's true that the Oscar has some unusual stall qualities.  OTOH, unless you are really on the deck, it's slow enough that you can usually recover. 

Nothing is as bad as the Spit I's inverted StallSpinCrashBurn.

- oldman

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2013, 12:56:35 PM »
I tried it a couple times, the horizontal stability seemed weird to say the least

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2013, 09:02:06 AM »
Based on my subjective experience the directional stability certainly feels worse than average. One thing that could contribute to this problem with Ki-43 again is the prop mass. The symptoms aren't nearly as bad as the I-16's but they seem to be there nonetheless. It certainly exhibits such behavior that the prop mass could be the culprit.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
Nice plane.....I found a P51 who was AFK and shot him up before stupidly colliding.

I'm happy to report I did not fly away undamaged but blew up right away..........which is how it should be.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2013, 04:58:08 PM »
out flew a p47, tempest and 190. 

pilot killed one from 400 yards whilst flying rings around them.   Haven't managed to stall the thing yet.

was it really this good?  because against it's compatriots lets say zero, brewster, hurri 1 it could possibly out turn them all with ease.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »
out flew a p47, tempest and 190. 

pilot killed one from 400 yards whilst flying rings around them.   Haven't managed to stall the thing yet.

was it really this good?  because against it's compatriots lets say zero, brewster, hurri 1 it could possibly out turn them all with ease.   

It should and did out fly the hurri and Brewster. The complaints about it were never about its flying ability or characteristics. I don't seem to have an issue fighting one in a Zeke2. However I haven't managed to nail one yet in the Zeke3 or Zeke5....the Oscar gives me fits when I'm in either of them.

And bruv you know the word good is subjective when speaking of aircraft  :salute

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »

It should and did out fly the hurri and Brewster. The complaints about it were never about its flying ability or characteristics. I don't seem to have an issue fighting one in a Zeke2. However I haven't managed to nail one yet in the Zeke3 or Zeke5....the Oscar gives me fits when I'm in either of them.

And bruv you know the word good is subjective when speaking of aircraft  :salute

The Ki-43 proved to be more than a match for the Hurricane and Spitfires it met over Burma/India and chewed up the RAF/Commonwealth/Dutch B-339s (Brewsters) it ran into.  Against a A6M2, I think it would boil down to pilot skill, while it should have a little advantage over the A6M3 and A6M5 in a turn fight.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
the only questionable thing I can say about this plane right now is the hitting power of those 2 guns. 

Yes I can shoot straighter than most and a round to the head is a round to the head.   I would have thought the Ki-84's MG's would resemble what it should hit like.  I would argue they are more powerful.   

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2013, 07:20:29 PM »
The Ki-43...chewed up the RAF/Commonwealth/Dutch B-339s (Brewsters) it ran into..

Thought I remember reading that the version of the 339 the Dutch received actually fared pretty well against the Japanese, and the Dutch were just overwhelmed by sheer numbers.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2013, 07:21:17 PM »
Are you finding them too weak Bruv? I've got film of me sawing a spit8's tail off with only 15 rounds fired. Definitely wouldn't want to make the 43's guns more powerful judging by that. But then some days my rounds seem to do no damage at all. The curse of playing across the atlantic perhaps?
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2013, 07:44:25 PM »
I would have thought the Ki-84's MG's would resemble what it should hit like.  I would argue they are more powerful.  
They are exactly the same guns and, per HiTech's previous statements, the way AH is coded they will be calling the exact same code as the Ki-84's MGs.  Odds are the difference you are noticing are created by the Ki-43's better maneuverability allowing it to get closer and be more accurate.

The Ho-103s are the middle of the pack heavy machine gun.  They are better than the German and Italian heavy machine guns, and worse than the American and Russian heavy machine guns.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:46:22 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
Are you finding them too weak Bruv? I've got film of me sawing a spit8's tail off with only 15 rounds fired. Definitely wouldn't want to make the 43's guns more powerful judging by that. But then some days my rounds seem to do no damage at all. The curse of playing across the atlantic perhaps?

no no I said they seem more powerful than the ki-84 MG's. 

Killed some dude from 400 with minimal rounds.  Anything from 200 or less dies very quickly.  I would have to hit them more with 8x 303's. 

If they are the same as karnak suggests then fair enough but doesn't seem like it.
The Few ***
F.P.H