Author Topic: There's wind now?  (Read 6954 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: There's wind now?
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »
And as far as I know, using the manual (harder) calibration does account for side-drift...and we tend to use manual calibration often.

It does.  In scenarios, we have used the same type of calibration as in the Main Arena, so had to take into account the side drift.  It was sort of fun to have to do that, so I might miss it. :)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2013, 05:23:56 PM »
thank you ack ack :cheers: :salute
Try disabling cloud bump mapping.

ack-ack
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline skillet1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:51 PM »
 Can someone clarify the status of wind in bombing currently or if there will be any changes to be made? Will you still have to adjust for wind now? Thank you for your replies in advance.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2013, 05:59:20 PM »
At this moment there is no wind in the MA. It seems ti will come back with the next update, with your bombsight supposedly auto correcting for it. You plane however, does not and you'd have to watch your flight paths, especially when in a bomber and lining up on your targets.

I can only hope the wind layers will start higher than in that first run last weekend.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2013, 06:28:10 PM »
At this moment there is no wind in the MA. It seems ti will come back with the next update, with your bombsight supposedly auto correcting for it. You plane however, does not and you'd have to watch your flight paths, especially when in a bomber and lining up on your targets.

I can only hope the wind layers will start higher than in that first run last weekend.

Thanks for the news/update Lusche.

I liked the wind, but I really didn't like the bug and headache for the last week.  Made trying out the He111 properly and doing comparisons with Ju-88 runs (properly-) impossible.  Slow and (relatively) soft bombers below 15k was suicide and just retarded (and I'm not talking about mags) to keep trying after the first few days (ontop of then finally figuring out (after wasting an ENTIRE WEEKEND) that the biggest pain was a Fn BUG!... I assure you HiTech, I (and others) pay $15 to fly He111s around at 9.9k in the MA to dodge late-war monsters for my entertainment.

Yeah, this bug/wind was an annoying-new-challenge that turned into a frustration after I read this thread on Monday.  Maybe I'll do more than just check for a patch tonight after I get home late.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:30:48 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
Given some of the responses in here, I want to clarify that my whinging post was about MY issues. The bug has been identified and will be sorted, for which I am grateful.

I am more grateful to find that my mental health is declining at a slower rate than I thought, that there was actually a bug, not as has often been the case that my cognitive powers were on the decline again. I like bombing. You can annoy a lot more people when you have lots of bombs to play with.
Retired

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2013, 09:59:42 AM »

:headscratch:

If the bomb site corrects for the wind, how does the plane not? what does that mean?
Who is John Galt?

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »

If the bomb site corrects for the wind, how does the plane not? what does that mean?

It means that the wind pushes your plane to the side and a properly calibrated bomsite will compensate for the planes side-drift by moving the crosshairs the proper amout to the side.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37:34 AM »
It means that the wind pushes your plane to the side and a properly calibrated bomsite will compensate for the planes side-drift by moving the crosshairs the proper amout to the side.

So if you are not perfectly lined up on target when calibrating,  any slight turn might change your direction (in relation to the wind) and cause a possible miss of the target?  I would hope there is some sort of consequence of enabling wind.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2013, 11:24:06 AM »
Thanks for the news/update Lusche.

I liked the wind, but I really didn't like the bug and headache for the last week. 

Wind was turned off Monday morning, it was only active Friday afternoon until Monday morning.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2013, 11:26:48 AM »
So if you are not perfectly lined up on target when calibrating,  any slight turn might change your direction (in relation to the wind) and cause a possible miss of the target?  I would hope there is some sort of consequence of enabling wind.

Correct, The sight is only good for the heading and speed it was calibrated on.

HiTech

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2013, 11:40:31 AM »

While you bombs will fall on the spot the crosshair was on (no wind compensation necessary), you will have more difficult time to properly line up on your target if the wind comes from a side. Your plane (and thus crosshair) will wander diagonally over the ground.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2013, 12:24:11 PM »

While you bombs will fall on the spot the crosshair was on (no wind compensation necessary), you will have more difficult time to properly line up on your target if the wind comes from a side. Your plane (and thus crosshair) will wander diagonally over the ground.

Well that's kind of what I thought. Doesn't that effectively mean that the bomb site compensates for the plane drift, not the wind pushing the bombs?
Who is John Galt?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2013, 02:47:32 PM »
Well that's kind of what I thought. Doesn't that effectively mean that the bomb site compensates for the plane drift, not the wind pushing the bombs?
No, it simply means that the plane is not flying in the direction its nose is pointed - it is flying a little sideways, but the bombs will still fall on the spot the crosshair was on when released.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline kilz

• Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
Nothing new we had wind 10 years ago to many people cried  :cry at how hard it was and they turned it off LOL Now only if they would address the dive bombing Lancs and such.....

10 years ago we had a way to calibrate for wind. i would be fine with the wind turned on if we could get those tools back
Former LTARkilz

R.I.P 68KO, TailSpin, Maj1Shot, Prop31st, SWfire, rodders, Vega, easy8, 11Bravo, AWMac, GMC31st, Stoliman, WWhiskey